The Weakest Link: Emerson, Lake & Palmer BRAIN SALAD SURGERY, Round 4

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LandHorses, Apr 25, 2024.

1. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes Thread Starter

We're down to 5 songs. 1 more must go. Vote your next weakest link.

Discussion question: Where do you rate/rank Brain Salad Surgery within the ELP catalog (as much as you have of it)?

Jerusalem (Round 3)
    Toccata (Round 2)
    Benny the Bouncer (Round 1)

2. astrohip

astrohip Forum Resident

KE9-3 is on the outs.

I absolutely love their first album, ELP. It remains my favorite. Next would be Pictures. I wore that album out. Then Trilogy & BSS tied.

FillmoreGuy likes this.
  3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

BSS is their best album for me

Jerusalem is its best part, sad to see it go.
    Toccata is its 2nd beat part, sad that parted even earlier.

Jerusalem was a song we sang at the opening and closing assembly at my school every year from grade 1 to grade 12. I had long ago comitted all the lyrics to memory, but never had the slightest idea what it was about. I loved discovering it in a bombastic synth driven arrangement as the opening of an ELP album, and then hearing it as the "title" song of the film Chariots of Fire.

Around age 21 I was on a solo trip in Glastonbury England, where I took a small hike up to the Glastonbury Tor, which I had heard of as a place of spiritual power conducive to meditation and connecting with higher powers - due to the convergence of ley lines there - not that I really believed whole heartedly in that, but I was interested enough to check it out and see if I felt anything. Can't say I necessarily did, but it was an impressive sight with beautiful views. And a long walk solo in nature is as close as I ever got to a meditative space at that time.

On the walk down - with nobody around me for at least 100 yards - I was taken by the green hills and pastures and started singing Jerusalem loudly, probably 10x in a row, as I walked.

My walk took me back into town where I toured another major sight there - a tour of the ruins of Glastonbury Abbey. Reading signs on that tour, I learned for the first time of a Christian level of spiritual significance of the Glastonbury Tor, with there being legends of it being the resting place of King Arthur, of the Holy Grail being buried beneath the Tor, and of Joseph of Arimathea having taken Jesus there as a child. I then learned that William Blake had composed the poem Jerusalem speculating on the veracity of that legend.

This gave me for the first time a fuller understanding of the lyric. And having felt moved to sing that song loudly and repeatedly in that place stands out in my life as a sign I was given by God, though I am by heritage of the same faith as Jesus and not a believer in him as an aspect of God (any more than I believe that to be true of every one of us), that there is something more beyond what we perceive with our senses.

"And did those feet in ancient time
    Walk upon England's mountains green?
    And was the holy Lamb of God
    On England's pleasant pastures seen?
    And did the countenance divine
    Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
    And was Jerusalem builded here
    Among those dark Satanic Mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold!
    Bring me my arrows of desire!
    Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold!
    Bring me my chariot of fire!
    I will not cease from mental fight,
    Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
    Till we have built Jerusalem
    In England's green and pleasant Land."

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
    gpalz, IMayBeStupid, MichaelH and 7 others like this.
  4. astrohip

astrohip Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing that. Moving story.

MichaelH, DME1061 and Rfreeman like this.
  5. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

"Karn Evil 9: 2nd Impression"

A classic, but I like Trilogy slightly more.

6. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Thank you for a lovely memory

MichaelH, Rufus rag and Rfreeman like this.
  7. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I think it’s their masterpiece. It’s arguably their strongest set of songs and Emerson as at the peak of his futuristic keyboard wizard powers. IMO “Karn Evil 9” is their most compelling piece of music and the shorter songs are some of their most impressive.

8. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

Still you turn me on cmon prog heads we can’t break up one of the great epics!

missed posting yesterday sadly got into them too late to see true ELP but I got to see Emerson and lake, Greg lake on his final tour, carl palmer a few times and hopefully again and does 3.2 count…

Pretty sure just karn evil 9 part 1 still you turn me on played at these shows.

BSS is the best for me for sure.

Rufus rag likes this.
  9. Mysterious Traveler

Mysterious Traveler Forum Resident

Voted 2nd Impression.

It's easily their best album for me. Karn Evil 9 is the best thing they ever did.

Rufus rag likes this.
  10. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Still...

DQ: BSS is surely the masterpiece; Peter Sinfield deserves a shoutout here. But 'fave' status for me is a tie between this and Tarkus.

Rufus rag likes this.
  11. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Brain Salad Surgery is their 2nd best just on the strength of Karn Evil 9, because the first two tracks on the aBlum are terrible. Their best album is Trilogy.

12. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

Still… to go (again)

BSS is the best for me, no question. I find the dislike for Toccata bizarre.

Rufus rag likes this.
  13. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Reluctantly voting for still you turn me on at this juncture.

I have BSS as a close second behind Tarkus and just a smidge ahead of Trilogy and the Debut.

penguinzzz likes this.
  14. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Damn, I missed rounds 2&3.
    Now it's getting really tough but voted First KE9-2nd Impression.

15. Homemade Parachute

Homemade Parachute Forum Resident

Sad to see "Still…" going, but Karn Evil 9 is such a package, it's really hard to split it up for me, so tomorrow will be hard indeed…

As for ranking BSS, it's at or near the top for me. ELP like Crimson and maybe Marillion, defined themselves from the get go: those debut albums, unlike, say, Yes, Genesis, or Tull, very clearly laid out what they wanted to accomplish, and for the most part nailed it. Probably the experiences in Crimson and The Nice helped with that, they really seemed to form not just "a" band to play in a band, but formed *this* band to play *this* kind of music. So the debut is pretty darned strong!

But in terms of what I play, I'd go with Pictures at an Exhibition, then Trilogy, and then most of BSS; I skip "Jerusalem" and "Benny" whenever possible, but I do love the rest. The first side of Tarkus is great, the second maybe less so. The debut is, as I say, pretty great. The less said about Works I and II probably the better…

penguinzzz likes this.
  16. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

Can’t believe Jerusalem is gone. That is the high point for me as well. Especially the majestic trumpet like lines on the (then) new moog Apollo

17. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Excellent! I am an Episcopalian and Jerusalem is in our hymnal. I don’t sing much in church, but when a song like Morning Has Broken, How Great Thou Art, or Jerusalem is played I belt it out at the top of my lungs. Our organist, who is a great guy by the way, will sometimes slip Fanfare for the Common Man in as a postlude. When he plays that or Jerusalem, I always make it a point to thank him for playing those Emerson, Lake & Palmer songs lol.

18. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

I’ll always stand up for Works 1 side 4 though! (It was my first ELP album)

Rufus rag likes this.
  19. donl

donl Forum Resident

2nd Impression. Prefer BSS over Trilogy(but I prefer Pictures over all)

Rufus rag likes this.
  20. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

+1. Pirates is an ELP classic. Was never dropped from the set list until Keith struggled with his hands. The fans always wanted to hear it from my experience!

penguinzzz and IMayBeStupid like this.
  21. Homemade Parachute

Homemade Parachute Forum Resident

Side 4, which if I recall is really the only E, L, *and* P part of the album, yes indeed. The rest, well, I guess it's more successful than the 4 Kiss albums, but still…

22. LandHorses

I don’t nearly have a full ELP collection……I like prog, but it’s not in my top listening.

I only have this, the greatest hits album, the debut, and Pictures at an Exhibition.

I guess I’ll say this, then Pictures, then the debut. (I don’t put greatest hits albums in album rankings).

23. LandHorses

West coast bump.

24. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Karn Evil 9: 1st Impression—Part 2

25. LandHorses