The Beatles 'Let It Be' re-release, begins streaming on Disney+, May 8, 2024*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheHutt, Apr 15, 2024.

1. postscripum

postscripum Forum Resident

Oh Ringo, it's not as if you have a better opinion to the average fan. Don't be so impudent!

Carl80 and DK Pete like this.
  2. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

Well, it was just two years ago when... :winkgrin:

Original 'Let It Be' Director on Ringo’s Review: 'I Don’t Care'

"That’s his opinion. And we all have them. I mean, the polite version is everybody’s got elbows, and everybody’s got opinions. I like Ringo. And I don't think he’s seen the movie for 50 years. ... And I think, if you haven’t seen the movie in a long time, and you may not have the best memory in the world, all that kind of gets mixed up in your brain about what it was like. Because when I saw it last, I’m thinking, 'What is he talking about?'

So I just don’t think he’s seen it for a long time. And again, with respect, I don’t care. As a human being, he’s wonderfully quick and funny."

Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
  3. maclen

maclen Senior Member

For sure. But in Let It Be I see John’s mouth moving to something other than what he’s singing. In Get Back the footage generally is focused on another Beatle than the one singing or talking. So not quite as obvious. I wish the had all the footage that goes with the audio.

4. Beatlerocker

Beatlerocker Forum Resident

Dig A Pony: one of the best songs from Let It Be: very underrated.

5. Beatlerocker

Beatlerocker Forum Resident

That’s extremely cheap. Congratulations: you did it very well. The original Let It Be 1970 boxset complete with lp and book does now around € 400 or € 500 (VG or mint) in Europe.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
    DK Pete likes this.
  6. postscripum

I guess it's just a mattter of opinion. To me it's always sounded like a mob of Scottish folk dancers and singers repeatedly hijacking a Dylan pastiche. I don't dislike it, as such, but it always sounds hard work and a tad incoherent.

Beatlerocker and DK Pete like this.
  7. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Because of the nature of the choppy footage compared to the audio, both LIB and "Get Back" are problematic. "Get Back" just had a ton more time to, first off, put up a text warning that they had audio with no matching footage and would be using substitute footage.

Once you know the nature of the choppy footage, it's kind of just as obvious in "Get Back", because it often has one person speaking or a lead vocal, and we never see that person because of the cutaways.

There also are some moments here and there where "Get Back" tried to pull a "Let It Be" and sync footage up that doesn't actually match.

"Let It Be" definitely feels more messy in the edit, mostly because it's a punchy 80 minutes and it runs through a lot of music.

Beatlebug and DK Pete like this.
  8. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I think Lindsay-Hogg's comments here are spot on, and as politely put as possible. Neither Paul nor Ringo watched the entire "Get Back" film, and I suspect neither have seen "Let It Be" often if ever since 1970, especially Ringo.

9. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Furmanek restored LIB in 1992 (presumably for a release, but that of course never happened), and it was that restoration that was used for the "Anthology."

Many years later, some time in the 2010s, Furmanek's full restoration finally leaked in decent quality (probably a VHS generation or two at least though). The main thing that Furmanek's restoration would have offered that no other version up to that point could have is that it was the full, uncropped 4x3 frame. Unfortunately, it appears that the version that leaked had a timecode on it, and whomever leaked it chose to crop it out, which resulted in a weird slightly letterboxed version.

I suspect the upcoming Disney+ version will also be cropped, either at 1.66:1 or 1.78:1 (or 1.85:1). If so, it probably means we'll never get the full film in its original 4x3 aspect ratio.

It would be interesting to see what the supposed 2003 restoration was going to look like, what the aspect ratio was going to be, etc.

Dyland, boggs and Kim Olesen like this.
  10. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    was given this by a cool neighbor in the 90's had it stored away in the media shelf

11. Kent Gray

Kent Gray Resident

The whole book?

mBen989 likes this.
  12. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

yeah, it's never been read

13. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Saw this in a movie theater. Me and my friends loved it and still do.

14. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Somewhere on SHF, I believe is stills from that restoration and pictures of a D5 cassette. There may have been some clips, too. All were heavily watermarked.

Dan

15. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Musta been one of those midnight showings, no? It never got official theatrical release.

Acoustic Warrior likes this.
  16. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Is this actually true or your opinion? Where did you read or see this ?

I can believe Ringo just watched part to give approval but it’s hard for me to believe Paul would let it go out without watching it in its entirety.

sallymae_hogsby likes this.
  17. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Indeed it was. Fun times.

DK Pete likes this.
  18. postscripum

"In fact, there’s great joy and connection and collaboration, and good times and jokes and affection in Let It Be,"

Bit awkward for those who are adamant that Get Back was revisionist.

FVDnz and DK Pete like this.
  19. Loup

Loup Ancient Wool Unraveller

When the film was originally released in theaters in 1970 was it in it’s original 4x3 aspect ratio or was it cropped?

20. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

I’ve never watched the original so looking forward on Disney, Watched Get Back right the way through a few times now so will be good to compare, is there much or anything included in the original not in Get Back? Am I right it’s extended footage on the rooftop in the original and not cutting back to the crowd below? Looking forward to see it on the roof without the crowd and split screen.

21. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

You have to try and clear your mind of Get Back to really understand what watching the original film in 1970 felt like. The Jackson film, while depicting some fun moments and whatnot, actually unfolds the behind-the-scenes negativity far more evidently than the original movie. As I’ve often said, the majority of negativity thrust upon the LIB film is done so in hindsight after decades of all the details coming to the fore. Without this knowledge, it’s simply a film of the band working out songs in the studio, culminating in a rooftop concert.

ARK, Layla35, GimiSomeTruth and 9 others like this.
  22. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Yeah I’ve read through the years the original focused a lot on that little disagree between Macca and George and focused more on the band breaking up, wasn’t the original released just after they called it a day ? Get Back does at least show they where having a lot of fun still in the studio before they broke up.

DK Pete likes this.
  23. Summersun

Summersun Active Member

The original has the cut backs to the crowd below.

President_dudley, DK Pete and Carl80 like this.
  24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I always thought the Suzy Parker/Suzy's Parlour segment shows they could still have fun together, at least when fried on drugs or drink.

25. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Every time I've watched the original LIB film, I've never viewed it as the band's breakup. Moreso, it was the band working on a new album. Being in the studio is nothing like being in a train or in a bus or skiing in the alps.

In retrospect, it's depressing because we know the ending. But Get Back fills in the gaps. Its the entire story. It's a more complete look at how they managed the short time table and the stress.