The Beatles 'Let It Be' re-release, begins streaming on Disney+, May 8, 2024*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheHutt, Apr 15, 2024.

1. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Another thing about that . . . Khan, as you observed, is a late-20th century Earthling who awakens from cryosleep on the Enterprise, and after a matter of days is exiled to Ceti Alpha V with no means of communicating with passing ships, and almost everyone marooned with him is also a 20th century Earthling. But he's aware of the "Klingon proverb" that "revenge is a dish best served cold." I suppose Mrs. Khan - a former Enterprise crew member - might have filled him in on Klingon idioms, but otherwise I'm slightly at a loss as to how a 20th century earthling with minimal exposure to the 23rd century knows what Klingons are, let alone their preferred revenge recipes.

TO STAY ON TOPIC: Boy it would be nice if the physical release of Let It Be has a bonus disc of footage not recycled from Get Back. And I wouldn't say no to a surprise release of a soundtrack album including the dad burned rooftop show.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
  2. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Yeah that is not the vibe of a guy who is excited for it to be re-released in the slightest lol. Which I can understand, if some of the footage specifically in reminds him of a lot of negative emotions I would want my fans to cling onto the other 8 hour documentary of much more positive memories especially with John and George

Garageflower and DK Pete like this.
  3. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

The band sent Paul over to Ringo’s house to explain that they wouldn’t delay the release of Let It Be in spite of Ringo’s EP release .
    Ringo got really angry and threw Paul out of the house, telling him “I’ll finish you!” :p ;)

4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

LIB..Naked….now there’s a marketing disappointment if ever there was one. I was expecting a number of things to accompany it when it was first announced but all we got was the remixed album (which, except for a couple of songs, was also a disappointment).

babyblue, longdist01, jmxw and 6 others like this.
  5. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

My previous post sort of in reverse.:cool:

Glenn Christense likes this.
  6. Glenn Christense

Yes, but we got that “great” cover and that “wonderful” fly on the wall disc that we all play weekly! :p

7. Glenn Christense

Yes, sorry. I didn’t read that post of yours until you mentioned it now .

Great minds… :p

DK Pete likes this.
  8. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Oh no, I didn’t mean it *that* way at all; I got a kick out of your post because it affirms the idea that what goes around, can come around in the strangest of ways (and decades later, no less). Of course this is in assuming that Ringo *is* bothered by the timing aspect (which I tend to doubt).

Glenn Christense likes this.
  9. Glenn Christense

Okay, I didn’t want you to think I was ripping off your material :p

I agree. I don’t think Ringo is losing any sleep over the timing .

If anything, it may help move a few copies of Ringo’s EP.

If he gets asked or interviewed about the Let It Be movie (re) release they may throw Ringo a bone, mentioning that “ by the way he has a new EP out also at this time” kind of preface to the interview.

This alone may goose his EP sales by a dozen copies.:D

10. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

you’re thinking of the eclipse

11. Despite the use of too much noise reduction, Imdo like the remix and more ramshackle presentations.

DK Pete likes this.
  12. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

As far as remixes, I like Get Back, Dig A Pony (even though they fly in a lousy drum fill for some reason) and I Me Mine. I really dislike I’ve Got A Feeling (the combined performances, aside)which sounds terribly lifeless to my ears and 909 in which George’s guitar work is inexplicably pushed back in the mix. The other thing that instantly stood out to me in a bad way was the quick fades of the rooftop songs, eliminating the brief chatter. I don’t know what the point of this was but for me, it’s one of the best things about the Spector album and adds to the live-ness of the performances. And that cosmic reverb on Across The Universe, I can live without (not a popular opinion but I love the Spector version of this song).

13. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

To my recollection, there was a first remastering in 1992 (Ron Furmanek did it), then some work was done a few years later during the Anthology project, then another one in 2003 when it was vetoed at the last minute, then again around 2008/9.

There's a great blog in the internet, "The Daily Beatle", who gives the cronology of the LIB saga between 1969 and today.

Pretty astounding. Seems like a spy story or something :laugh:

Let It Be – at last

DK Pete likes this.
  14. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

I'm talking about the movie.

15. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Honestly, I'd rather see a 2 hour version of the "Get Back" movie over "Let It Be" again....

Beatle Ed 2021 and Bern like this.
  16. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

I agree with your post especially the part about loving Spector’s version of Across the Universe. The choir and orchestra make the song cosmically conscious.

S. P. Honeybunch, DK Pete and Chuckee like this.
  17. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, and as we know from the Get Back docu, Paul intended to underly the strings from the beginning on.

Bern and DK Pete like this.
  18. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

True, true.

TheHutt likes this.
  19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I know we’re going off track but I have to add that I love what Giles did with the Spector version. He emphasized certain lines in the orchestration which really brought out the songs’ inner beauty, IMO. Okay I’m done.

20. JMichael

JMichael Forum Resident

And John's vocals are mixed much better too. The Giles remix of Across the Universe is fantastic, and finally makes the song feel like the late psych period epic that it should have always been heard as, imho.

21. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Totally agree. It’s one of the very well done moments on the LIB album remix for me.

22. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

I first heard Across The Universe in December 1969 on No-One’s Gonna Change Our World and was immediately blown away by the beauty of the song. When Let It Be was released, I didn’t think Spector’s version added a great deal to the song (other than slowing it down instead of speeding it up).

We’ve had a lot of different versions and mixes since then, but nothing has really changed the beauty of the underlying song for me.

(Having said that, I do have a soft spot for the ‘hums wild’ version.) :)

23. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Correct. A couple of his restorations were on youtube. Not sure if they are anymore.

24. Kent Gray

Kent Gray Resident

Am I mistaken that Ringo has veto power regarding Beatles projects? If he was really upset about the timing of a release, he could just nix it, and force a reschedule.

25. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes, each of the 4 Fabs or their estates has veto power. That's how they used to do it (except when Allen Klein entered the picture) and that's how they do it now. They stay relatively happy and get along now.

Kent Gray and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.