Taylor Swift - The Tortured Poets Department

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aseriesofsneaks, Apr 19, 2024.

1. EgaBog

EgaBog The Dreadful Great

I think it is? she barely posts on social media. The most she's posted recently is during The Eras Tour.

Holler Wanderer likes this.
  2. Suddenly This Overview

Suddenly This Overview Forum Resident

Ever read the reviews printed in the gatefold of The Velvet Underground & Nico?

3. EgaBog

I'm not judging her as a person, I'm judging a pattern of behavior that resonates pettiness and insecurity.

4. Holler Wanderer

Holler Wanderer Too much of everything is just enough

I always figured it was someone in her PR department

EgaBog and Haberdasher like this.
  5. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Cool shoutout to the Melvins by Taylor. Right on.
    New record is so so. Kinda generic and samey. No Folklore which killlls.
    New Beyonce is awesome. Both huge. But no comparison on thier new albums

6. Spearca

Spearca Forum Resident

I think everyone who sells their work to the public plugs their latest project - their agent reminds them to, if necessary - and it doesn't indicate anything about their personal psychology or the relative quality of the latest work.

theMess, FJFP and Haberdasher like this.
  7. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Uh-oh, maybe he's next!.. :)

8. Haberdasher

Haberdasher Forum Resident

Exactly. Somebody this big and doesn’t have primarily a social media manager posting? It’s possible, but individuals with far, far smaller businesses than Taylor Swift have someone who does this for them. People study it for a living as part of marketing and PR.
    “Taylor Swift the celebrity” is a business. So many fans or non-fans acting like they really know her, a tale as old as time I suppose, but made large with an artist who projects “personable” in everything she does, with social media giving the appearance of even more accessibility. But most or all of it probably isn’t real.

Umbari and Holler Wanderer like this.
  9. EgaBog

\/

10. Haberdasher

Haberdasher Forum Resident

I’m really into Cowboy Carter right now. And this thread shouldn’t be about comparing the two. But one could argue TPD is just as original, considering how many covers are on CC.

11. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

No. (not much of a fan)

Anyway, back to the music...

I get what you mean about Thank You Aimee. There is a duality to the lyric that I dig, but the overall subject matter does prevent it from being a favorite for me so far despite how good ot is musically.

Amen to The Manuscript. :righton::righton:

12. George Co-Stanza

Oh, and mark me down as someone who didn't have her writing about (to keep it clean) self-gratification on this record (in Guilty as Sin?) on his Bingo card. :laugh::laugh:

13. dalecooper

dalecooper Forum Resident

I am so thoroughly confused by this social media psychoanalysis. 1. Most social media accounts aren't actually the artist posting, even if they pretend to be. 2. Most artists, record labels, etc. use their social media to promote something they're selling. Which necessarily means amplifying the good coverage and ignoring the bad. That's how sales works. 3. I very much doubt it is directed at fan or critical reaction in any way, like this bizarre spiteful thing. It's PR business as usual.

14. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

She released the additional tracks two hours after the main album was released, which means they were ready to go well before the general public had heard the album, much less reviewed it, and before any media reviews were published.

15. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

Maybe—but which 45 minutes? Take all the “favorites” lists, even from this thread, and I think you’ll find most tracks are somebody’s “best of” list.

16. Suddenly This Overview

Suddenly This Overview Forum Resident

Another example I thought of is Kim Gordon shared the review in the Guardian of her new album on her Instagram. It was a two star review.

17. Holler Wanderer

Holler Wanderer Too much of everything is just enough

So artists should always just release as many tracks as possible just so everyone can find a flavor they like? Sorry, but no. Less is more!

Umbari and EgaBog like this.
  18. aseriesofsneaks

aseriesofsneaks Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, I believe this was the release strategy all along. It’s the Midnights template on steroids.

19. Voom

Voom Forum Resident

That's right. I think The Manuscript is dull as dishwater for example, yet everybody on here is raving about it! I am struggling to reduce this album to 45 mins - the best I can do is 53 mins and that's 13 songs - I think my personal selection would make it one of Taylor's best albums - maybe even the best.

This is my personal 13-track single album edition of TTPD:

1. Fortnight
    2. The Tortured Poets Deartment
    3. My Boy Only Breaks His Favourite Toys
    4. Down Bad
    5. So Long London
    6. Florida
    7. Who's Afraid Of Little Old Me
    8. The Albatross
    9. So High School
    10. The Prophecy
    11. Cassandra
    12. Peter
    13. The Bolter

It's a good mixture of the 'Midnights' and 'Folklore'/'Evermore' stylings. There's nothing that drags and makes you want to skip. The quieter songs I picked here have nice jaunty melodies and won't bore anybody to death. Speak Now is my favourite Taylor Swift album and I think this tracklisting gives it a run for its money!

But I also know that I've excluded all the songs that people are picking as their favourites so it's probably for the best that Taylor released it all in the way that she did - for us people who prefer catchier songs with good 'hooks', and for those that prefer slower and moodier or lyric/message-heavy material.

20. George Co-Stanza

Something to consider as well is that she originally said the Midnights was the story of 13 sleepless nights (since the proper album had 13 songs). And now the first song on TTPD is Fortnight, which lasts 14 days/nights. Knowing her, that has to be intentional.

21. Arliss Renwick

Arliss Renwick Forum Resident

Thanks! I'm currently making a playlist (for the car) of my favourite songs from the whole Archive, and I think I'll just copy what you've done here. Home listening is, as always, vinyl. Now I wish I'd picked up the variant w. The Bolter on it!

Young/Swift Axis and Voom like this.
  22. George Co-Stanza

I feel like you almost can't go wrong with any 13-track playlist one makes from this album. Even the songs I consider the least best are still good. To say I am head over heels about this album now would be an understatement. I am almost in awe of how overtaken my listening habits have been by this record. I normally bounce around all the time from album to album, artist to artist, but this is all I have basically listened to since last Friday.

23. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

No Clara Bow, no go!
    We hear about the great songwriter, but there's only a few per album, imho, that are in the running to be timeless. Clara Bow is both clever and poignant, a tough trick to pull off. How many tracks of hers could have been Ray Davies tracks? This one is.

24. aseriesofsneaks

aseriesofsneaks Forum Resident Thread Starter

There are no coincidences with her!

25. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I grabbed a Black Dog copy tonight. The shop I went to got some late copies of the RSD note too but I just missed getting one. Ah well!

as of right now these are the songs I’m really enjoying:

Fortnight
    TTPD
    Down Bad
    But Daddy I Love Him
    I Can Do It With a Broken Heart
    The Black Dog
    The Albatross
    The Manuscript

When I put the album on, I’m mostly trying to let the main album sink in. I haven’t delved too deep into the anthology yet, I’ll get there