RCA Dynaflex vinyl - really that bad?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Driver 8, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

My Graffman/BSO "Capriccio Brillante" Dynaflex sounds better than my plum Victrola. The latter's vinyl is noisy (but clean looking). Otherwise they sound identical. The former is my play copy.

2. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

First dynaflex I bought was the Guess Who's American Woman album. I thought it was defective, like they didn't put enough plastic in the mold. It was almost liquid. It virtually poured out of the sleeve. Sounded fine though, and still does.

3. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

There are some very good Dynagroove discs in the LSC (Classical) series. I think some were labeled Dynagroove but escaped the process.
    They got a very bad rap from the audiophile press (TAS), but looking at reviews in the High Fidelity annuals, there are positive comments on the sound of many Dynagroove discs.

4. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

any examples of LSCs labeled dynagroove that aren't? I'm a Living Stereo junkie but typically leave "dynagroove" titles in the used bin.

5. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I wish the thin disk craze would become fashionable again. Never encountered a thin pressing that had non-fill, or was pressed off-center.

Dan C, Shawn and Mazzy like this.
  6. Vinylfindco

The original black dog pressings of that title sound wonderful, and I haven't heard the Dynaflex, but you would have to adjust VTA for the Dynaflex, especially if its set for 180gm pressings. Im surprised no one has mentioned this as it seems quite obvious.

7. Vinylfindco

I don't have the information that would confirm that this did happen, but I too am a Living Stereo collector, and have most of the LSC titles well up through and beyond the Dynagroove titles. My comment was based on listening to them occasionally over the years, and noticing that some sounded as full and dynamic as the earlier efforts. I will try to put together a list of some to keep an eye out for.

8. Vinylfindco

One for sure is LSC -2762 Menotti: Amahl and the Night Visitors. It's a Mohr/Layton production.

fluffskul likes this.
  9. Vinylfindco

I just realized that the jacket states that its Dynagroove, but the label (modern RCA logo at top on a red background with a small Nipper at 2 o'clock) doesn't. Perhaps the later issues like this (28S/29S) were done without the processing?

10. Zumba Zumbic

Zumba Zumbic Active Member

Dynaflex - I have a lot of those LPS and all of them sound really outstanding to me. Ducks Deluxe, Bowie, Lou Reed... They definitely stood the test of time. I consider them a marvel of engineering - light and flexible, but never warped, great full, clean sound, never any issues with inner groove distortion and other vinyl nuances. I don't know why there's so much bad reputation about the concept. I would rather ask, 180 grams - WHY? :)

elgoodo, Dan C, vinyl13 and 2 others like this.
  11. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

Spinning a 1971 Dynaflex pressing of "The Best of The Guess Who" right now (I noticed the "Dynaflex" marking on the cover and searched the term here) and it actually sounds pretty decent to me...although it's certainly not going to make me forget my QRP pressings.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  12. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Arrived today and very much unexpected.
    Cry Of Love two tone Reprise record club dynafllex.

Details on the site .....................
    http://www.jmhvinyl.co.uk/cry-of-love.html

and have now given CoL a page of its own as per a suggestion from a reader. Other great suggestions to improve the site may take a little longer to implement.

Anyway, look forward to running this dynaflex off against the recent 180/200 grm outings and the Ludwig.

Bill, can't say a big enough thank you :)

13. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I still see people in the audiophile press/blogs slagging Dynaflex pressings, most recently in a David Bowie writeup. Totally dismissed the Dynaflex Bowies not because of mastering (which by most accounts was inferior in the U.S. compared to the U.K. editions), but straight up because of Dynaflex vinyl. Complete BS.

Down with overpriced overweight vinyl! Thin is in! Bring back Dynaflex! :shh:

dan c

elgoodo likes this.
  14. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Just played my Transformer, purchased when it was first released. Excellent.

15. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

My Dynaflex The Man Who Sold The World by Bowie which was bought in 72/73 still looks like new. No warp at all, it's shiny and plays really well. And it's had a LOT of plays.

16. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

anyone knows something about Promos with a sticker that says "THE RCA EXPERIENCE"
    that promos are 1st pressing promos? or promo rca reissues?

[​IMG]

17. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I really don't care how thick a record is, as long as it is flat. And the thickness of a record has little to do with the sound. The quality of vinyl, condition of the stamper
    and mastering are the most important thing. I have a Dynaflex of Nilsson's "Schmilsson" album, it's one of the best sounding records I own.

SixtiesGuy and Gordon Johnson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.