RCA Dynaflex vinyl - really that bad?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Driver 8, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJH

AJH Senior Member

I don't remember RCA's older vinyl formulation being especially quiet, but back when they initially switched to Dynaflex Vinyl I thought it surface noise got especially bad. Our radio station was getting early promotional pressings, and it really was astonishing how bad the surface noise was on these records compared to promotional pressings from other companies.

2. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

There are several David Bowie Dynaflex pressings that are great. Heck, those sound a lot less noisy than plenty of other things I've heard from the same time period.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  3. Bobbo

Bobbo Well-Known Member

Dynaflex, for the uninitiated, was RCA's great new technical breakthrough of the early seventies. It was an 'ingenious' way to use a fraction of the vinyl and still get something roughly resembling a record out of the equation.
    Maligned by audiophiles of the time, there were oodles of urban legends about it. "Shows signs of serious wear after only five plays" was one of them. (This doesn't take into account that many records do, whether we like it or not.)
    So here I sit with a first press copy of "Nilsson Schmillson" on the turntable and it's blowing me away!
    Some of the quietest vinyl I've ever heard, outside of the Optimal Beatles mono set. Fantastic sound with very little distortion.
    Not bad for a forty year old record that would supposedly disintegrate after a work week of heavy playing, no?

4. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Will it play on my MiniDisc machine?

EasterEverywhere and Bobbo like this.
  5. Luca

Luca Wolf under sheep clothing

I have many ultra-thin RCA records from that period, and they all sound fine to me. Sure, they are VERY flimsy when holding them! But sound quality luckily seems OK.

mooseman, AlienRendel and Bobbo like this.
  6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I'd flip it on it's head and point out that a lot of the "Living Stereo" pressings are subpar. I was working at Wherehouse records when Dynaflex issues appeared, we did get a lot of returns due to warps. But the mastering of the Dynaflex pressings were of a higher standard than the mastering of the Dynagroove days. And considering the coloration of the Westrex cutting head used for a lot of Living Stereo issues and the vinyl being used back then sometimes being iffy, the Dynaflex pressings look like a better deal as time goes by.

7. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

The biggest problem I had with Dynaflex was that on some pressings the record surface would describe one plane and the label area another. Most warped records are affected at the edge, but with Dynaflex you can get a record that's warped at the center! Probably if you use a weight or clamp you'll get better results from Dynaflex. I think it's true that they are quieter pressings than their RCA predecessors.

8. Bobbo

Bobbo Well-Known Member

My copy of Van Cliburn's "My Favorite Chopin" (W. German Teldec pressing) is sonically awful. No high end whatsoever. :sad:

Robin L likes this.
  9. Bobbo

Bobbo Well-Known Member

If you use a heated scissors, you might be able to cut them down to the required size.

altaeria likes this.
  10. NO. Not at all

Bobbo likes this.
  11. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Some were better than others, just like any record.

12. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Doubtless mastered from a dub of the master. Decca/Telefunken had an arrangement with RCA. But back when Teldec was pressing RCA product overseas I doubt they had access to the best tapes. I used to go by the assumption that the best sounding LPs were imports from Germany, the Netherlands and Japan. As regards surfaces and surface noise they are the best. But when it comes to mastering, not always.

Bobbo likes this.
  13. thepluralofvinyl

thepluralofvinyl Forum Resident

I believe most (maybe all?) mentioned on the back that they were mastered specifically for Dynaflex in some ultra safe way (likely meaning removing all the low and high end).

Bobbo likes this.
  14. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I have that same disc....I agree it does sound pretty great.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  15. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Nope. You're thinking of Dynagroove. Those "White Dog", or "dead dog" as the late Ron Pendorff would say, pressings had curtailed low frequencies and added compression to make them more 'trackable' on the playback equipment of the time.

Muddy, thepluralofvinyl, Dino and 2 others like this.
  16. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

All of the Dynaflex records I own play and sound fine.

Shawn, dino77, Mazzy and 1 other person like this.
  17. Mike Novak

Mike Novak Forum Resident

Some Dynaflex Lou Reed at home and they sound just fine and quiet to me ! I don't believe in heavy vinyl since a long time....

john lennonist, Mazzy and Bobbo like this.
  18. Bobbo

Bobbo Well-Known Member

I've got an old stereo sampler that touts Dynagroove and the 'wonderful' RCA console stereos optimised for playing it.
    I still use the 'puker' narrator proclaiming "Realism that rivals the concert hall!" on mix discs. :laugh:

Robin L and seed_drill like this.
  19. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Dynaflex seemed ridiculous and a joke at the time but in hindsight sounds better to me than the thick noisy vinyl RCA was using just prior.

Robin L, Dino, Mazzy and 1 other person like this.
  20. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

21. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

They sure feel flimsy, but most of my Dynaflex LPs sound ok or better.

Bobbo likes this.
  22. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I like how you can hold the rims and wiggle it to make it sound like a cartoon sound effect.

Paully, tin ears, johnny q and 8 others like this.
  23. Bobbo

Bobbo Well-Known Member

Indispensable for playing "Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport" if you can't find a proper wobble board.

24. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

Me, too! Wait! We're still talking about records here, right?

Walter H likes this.
  25. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

One of my best sounding LPs is B.W. Stevenson's My Maria. My Kinks Muswell Hillbillies sound good too. No issues with the Bowie titles today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.