Paul McCartney One Hand Clapping - Jun 14 2024 - *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jmxw, Apr 17, 2024.

1. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Mull sold 2 million copies in the UK (also a hit in many other countries), so it was a goldmine actually.

2. Steven J

Steven J Forum Resident

MPL owns all the LT publishing so that's no issue. "Again and Again" is owned by the same publisher as "I Would Only Smile" and that didn't stop the Red Rose Speedway Archive. All are commercially available for download and streaming so there shouldn't be any issues.

3. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

It's the artwork of the brochure for the project when they were trying to sell the movie to broadcasting companies, in 1974.

Ludger likes this.
  4. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Essential interview. Thank you very much.

I'm currently reading Volume 1 of Legacy and I'm not surprised to hear one of the authors talking with such knowledge and precision. The book is fantastic.
    I can't wait for Volume 2, although I don't know if the authors have the possibility the add things to the text based on their future observations hearing the forthcoming release of One Hand Clapping.
    (and the last two Wings Deluxe Editions, should they appear magically before the release of their 2nd book). Or if the content of the 2nd book is now definitive and already sent to the printing facilities.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
  5. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

As of the last episode or two, he said they were going through final editing before publication, so maybe it’s possible?

Zongadude likes this.
  6. Jepsom

Jepsom Forum Resident

Denny Laine will be alright now. His band-mate Mike Pinder from classic rock`s most under-rated band The Moody Blues has gone to join him in rock and roll heaven.
    RIP great artists in the sky.

Ryan Lux, No Bull and Resroc62 like this.
  7. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Im specifically talking about the McCartney’s (as I mentioned in my post that you quoted). I was responding to someone claiming Paul had substance abuse issues, I wasn’t talking about any other member of Wings. In general, the image of the band was projected from Paul & Linda. They toured together as husband and wife, brought their kids, dogs, etc. That is the image I’m referring to.

DK Pete, supermd and jacden like this.
  8. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Amazing how this thread went from “One Hand Clapping is getting released!” to “Let’s tally off the substance abuse issues of the members of Wings.”

9. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Yeah, it's basically a case of "if the alternative is nothing, then I'll take digital."

supermd likes this.
  10. Pretty.Odd.

You’re skipping the post where someone was attacking Denny Laine’s ability to maintain his finances :laugh:

supermd and Myke like this.
  11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Let’s see how weird it gets over the next two months.

12. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I dunno, if they've found the original Umatic videotapes, this will look MUCH better (assuming the tapes aren't damaged) than any existing copy of the film. And if they actually found raw videotapes rather than a finished edit (which it sounds like is the case), then there might actually be *more* footage than what was in the old film. So this kind of just has me more into the idea of putting it out on DVD/Blu-ray. I mean, if they throw it all on YouTube, that's the next best scenario of course.

Now that I think about it, and listening to Kozinn talk about the Umatic tapes, I'm curious now, assuming MPL has source tapes and ends up putting something out somewhere, if they'll re-edit the raw videotapes to conform to the original edit of the film, or if they'll do a whole new edit of the thing, with presumably either more or less footage.

13. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I only come here to have every ounce of excitement sucked out of every release before its even happened.

ARK, Drewzel, forthlin and 20 others like this.
  14. dunkoid

dunkoid Forum Resident

So, Laine lived beyond his means, ran up a tax bill he couldn't pay, and you think McCartney was obliged to bail him out? Yeah, okay...

theMess, DK Pete, No Bull and 2 others like this.
  15. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

No original members now remain.

Jepsom and No Bull like this.
  16. Jepsom

Jepsom Forum Resident

That`s it. Sad this life is.

905 and Resroc62 like this.
  17. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Ray Thomas is sadly missed as well.

905, Resroc62 and Jepsom like this.
  18. Jepsom

Jepsom Forum Resident

Another great talent that made up the once in a lifetime band.

905, No Bull and Big Pasi like this.
  19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

The ultimate SDE for this would’ve been both audio disc and video bluray in one very nice package. I can’t emphasize enough my disappointment that we won’t be getting the latter.

crossroads69, supermd and Paul H like this.
  20. Pretty.Odd.

I tend to think their relationship just slowly fizzled out and that there wasn't one big "moment". I kind of getting the feeling Denny was waiting for Paul to do another Wings project (remember they weren't officially done until 1981), tour, etc and it just never happened. Paul started calling Denny less for his solo sessions and it slowly came to an end. I think Denny saw the writing on the wall and as a result, he started talking unfavorably about Paul to the press.

Unfortunately, this is how most relationships end in everyone's lives. It's a slow fade rather than a huge blow out. I think once Paul was officially done with Wings in his mind, he was done with Denny. He just needed a clean slate.

jacden, Resroc62, dunkoid and 2 others like this.
  21. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

22. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

After reading all 23 pages of this thread I will share my unsolicited opinion no one will care about.

*I hope someday Paul sees the light and hires the same team behind the Lennon album reissues.
    *All this "exclusive to vinyl" or "exclusive to streaming" bollocks is frustrating and makes enjoy and treasure more and more the bootlegs I have.
    *One Hand Clapping was a video project so to get audio only seems a bit weird.
    *This stuff should have been included in the Band On The Run Archive Collection.
    *In the late 1990s I was browsing CDs in a small record shop in Buenos Aires and bought this CD. I still own it and treasure it to this day. As I don't buy or play vinyl, I will continue treasuring it.

https://www.discogs.com/release/4445981-Paul-McCartney-Backyard

(Sale of the item is forbidden so should be ok to link in here for information purposes)

*This release should have at least a limited edition with a Blu-Ray with the full video and if the tapes exist, a surround mix.
    Also, a few years ago while in Europe I've bought this 4 disc set

https://www.discogs.com/release/2492214-Paul-McCartney-And-Wings-One-Hand-Clapping

(Sale of the item is forbidden so should be ok to link in here for information purposes)

Which is pretty decent and should have been taken as a template as to what this release should have been.

To finish off I am used to Paul's team letting me down with the archival releases -the fact that I've spent a fortune on the Flowers In The Dirt super deluxe and they did not even bother to include a CD with the B-sides from the singles is just one of many examples- so I am ok with this release. If the sound is better than the boots I will buy it. If not, I will wait for the deluxe edition next year that will include the Backyard stuff and the bloody Blu-ray lol.

Resroc62 and Boinks like this.
  23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

24. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I won't harp on it endlessly, but as I've mentioned a few times, I think there's some reason/impetus/prompting that led to this particular release that we aren't aware of. I'm not making a huge deal out of it, it's just an interesting bit of trivia that I feel like we don't know.

That Allan Kozinn interview nails it as far as how this release is kind of a head-scratcher. Not in a bad way. But just weird for this project to come out in this format at this time.

I think something beyond all of the obvious stated potential reasons (it's an anniversary, etc.) led to the specific set of events that led to this release. It feels like this was going to come out some other way, in some other form, at some other time, and it just ended up getting plopped out now.

Either this thing got pulled out of some other project, or some unknown prompting (some legal or copyright thing, or Paul bumping into Geoff Britton at Starbucks, something) led to it.

I know sometimes the team that does McCartney's archival stuff do interviews, so I'm hoping someone can ask them specifically why this thing is coming out.

And if the revamped, improved film ends up going out on YouTube, I'll not hold my breath for an explanation as to why it couldn't be put out on DVD or Blu-ray. There are surely enough hardcore niche McCartney collectors/fans to make such a thing more profitable than *dumping it on YouTube for free*.

Paul H and Troyh like this.
  25. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

Songwriting royalties are paid separately to publishing royalties. Denny would've done OK from Mull of Kintyre before he sold his interest in it years later. It was obviously still bringing in plenty of money. McCartney didn't pay him for nothing and whatever he paid I'm sure he felt he got it on the cheap