Paul McCartney One Hand Clapping - Jun 14 2024 - *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jmxw, Apr 17, 2024.

1. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

It's great to get to hear All of You on an official release. Can't believe that Paul decided against re working the song for a future inclusion in an album or b side. It's a superb tune.

2. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

I get the impression that Macca was not particularly keen on the later Wings period. He wasn't a fan of BTTE, and I think he also had reservations regarding LT. It may explain why he isn't interested in revisiting either album for the archive collection.

3. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

I think it comes down to what the record company thinks will sell.

Zongadude likes this.
  4. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

I don't think Macca cares enough about the latter Wings period to even consider a Rockestra anniversary. He doesn't even seem bothered about a BTTE archive release. I do think that may see the light of day in 2029 though.

Macca, or Paul Mac as apparently he is called in his Liverpool family circle, likes anniversaries for BOTR projects, of which this is kind of related as it falls into pretty much the same time period.

5. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

Apart from a complimentary Singles box!☹️

6. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Right?? The same complaint over and over and over and over. Paul himself could hand deliver this new release to fans and people would still go, “eh. What I really want is London Town/Back to the Egg! Why haven’t you done those yet?”

7. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

It's still a reasonable question though.

8. ChrisChopping

ChrisChopping Forum Resident

Looking forward to this but not blown away by the artwork tbh…

klaatuhf likes this.
  9. Does anyone know what the artwork is about and why it was chosen? Is it an old Macca-Painting for this project?

10. Pauly56

Pauly56 Forum Resident

He wasn't a fan of Bip Bop either but still placed it on Pure McCartney.

11. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I think he didn’t want to admit he was a fan of Bip Bop; he knows it’s not much of a song but it holds some pretty near and dear memories for him on a personal level with his young family as he was getting things restarted for himself.

905, supermd, Pretty.Odd. and 2 others like this.
  12. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

I think that was more a personal inclusion as it was something he played for his kids when they were young. He never claimed it to be a masterpiece, just a bit of fun.

905 likes this.
  13. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I think Mr Laine made good money in Wings and was paid 1 million or something for hir right to royalties for Mulk if Kintyre. The fact he blew all the money can hardly be Paul’s fault

905, jacden and dunkoid like this.
  14. JMichael

JMichael Forum Resident

Maybe in Paul's mind the Wings concept peaked with Band on the Run/Venus & Mars and the massive '76 tours. So that era of the earlier 70s gets more attention from him in terms of revisiting. Maybe by '77 he was looking for a way out of Wings, disillusioned with the idea of being anything other than a solo artist, and wanted a fresh start (so many lineup changes!), and finally found the way out in '79 by recording McCartney II? If something like that is true, then Paul not wanting to make a big celebration of London Town and Back to the Egg makes more sense.

Regardless, it will be fascinating to see how the later Wings period is depicted in Man on the Run, or how much time the doc devotes to the late 70s.

Resroc62 and TheWildHoneyPie like this.
  15. rudybeet

rudybeet Forum Resident

For all the a-Paul-ogists here, I can only hope that the next round of releases is 20 different colors of vinyl, each with a different 30 seconds of previously unreleased material, each costing $100 (plus tax and shipping).

Everyone will be thrilled as they max out their Visa cards, and will thank JPM for his generosity. Because, of course, the man can do no wrong.

Do I think this material is good? Absolutely. I am merely commenting on the packaging, marketing, etc., which I maintain is sh%&ty. And yeah, I know, I don't have to buy it.

16. Steven J

Steven J Forum Resident

I think this notion that McCartney somehow ruined Laine financially is way overblown. Firstly, Laine was a contract writer on "Mull of Kintyre" and received a flat fee for his contributions and never owned any portion of the publishing for that song. The song was never a hit in the world's largest market (U.S.) and wasn't the goldmine it was assumed to be. Regardless, McCartney later paid Laine an additional sum for it when they severed their business relationship in late 1981 and divvied up the joint publishing with MPL getting some songs and Laine getting others. Laine 's tax debt and bankruptcy were later in 1986.

No Bull, dunkoid and jacden like this.
  17. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Yeah, I guess it's possible OHC is connected to BOTR in Paul's mind. Otherwise, I can't imagine the OHC project, which I'm sure Paul hadn't thought about in eons, would really be a bigger deal in his memory than other old Wings projects. And I think Paul was pretty proud of the "Rockestra" project and getting all the stars on it.

I don't think Paul has any pressing desire to mark any anniversaries. It may just be that internally it is deemed from time to time that an anniversary can be capitalized on.

18. balzac

balzac Senior Member

As to the "One Hand Clapping" project in general, and this particular new release, while I can't think of a reason to be *against* it, and I welcome it, I don't think it's out of line to kind of point out that it's certainly a bit of a head-scratcher. It's been mined for a number of archival releases already, the film was released 14 years ago, Paul has almost never done a stand-alone archival release not attached to an album reissue, and he already did a little BOTR anniversary release months ago. To make things even a bit stranger, it sounds like they found a much better videotape source for the film, yet this release is audio-only.

I think it remains to be seen if this is just an odd-ball one-off release that was fast-tracked for some reason, or if it portends future similar releases.

I think "that's cool and all, but I'd rather have LT and BTTE archive sets" is a fair reaction.

I think we all have to just live with the fact that, while the Paul/MPL position on archival releases is much more fan-friendly than it was pre-2010, I don't think they're ever going to truly go full fan-friendly and always do the simple, obvious releases that fans want. It kind of feels like we're accidentally getting a 2-CD "One Hand Clapping" all of a sudden, almost on a whim.

The "Archive Collection" was the first, and really only time that it seemed like they finally "got it" and were going to do substantive archival releases. But it immediately became apparent that, while the sets are great and again as mentioned before much better than the alternative of nothing, these sets were kind of compromised from the get-go. They were skimpy on bonus unreleased audio, then eventually got bloated and overpriced, and intermittently (and now definitely) were too slow/delayed. I love all the sets, and they did improve on the skimpy audio for some later sets.

But Apple is gonna Apple, and MPL is gonna MPL. Even when they seem to finally "get it", they still can't just do it in what seems to be the cleanest, easiest, simplest way. It's always going to be mired in some internal politics and whatnot. It seems that old Neil Aspinall attitude of "not doing the obvious thing" is still prevalent sometimes.

Resroc62 and jmxw like this.
  19. Steven J

Steven J Forum Resident

I think we are on the verge of a major format shift. At some point CDs will be discontinued and before that the word will go out that if you want something out on CD do it now. Other releases could be held back for the rollout of "streaming only" releases.

20. Pauly56

Pauly56 Forum Resident

They’ll make more money now with physical product than when everything is full time streaming.

21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I agree, I loved that song the instant I heard it. The thing with Paul is, he could afford to leave something like that unfinished. Look what else he released around that time!

22. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

It’s a song so infectious and clever that I don’t think it needs any more production. I think it’s perfect the way it is.

supermd likes this.
  23. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I know CDs in general continue to see a downturn in sales. But as long as they want to do any kind of deluxe boxed sets, they're going to have to continue to do CD, as there's no way to do like 5 CDs worth of stuff on vinyl. I mean, there is of course, but that's not really tenable.

The niche that will buy big physical deluxe boxed sets will buy and desire CDs.

Now, if they want to go digital-only and go all-out and really open up the archives, then I wouldn't mind that. If we can get digital deluxe sets for LT and BTTE, that wouldn't be the worst option. But then again, the video components of some of the archive sets, especially BTTE where there's like three full films worth of stuff to put on it, digital-only doesn't cut it.

24. supermd

supermd Senior Member

You had me until the third paragraph. ;) I’d be fine with extra stuff released digitally (I didn’t mind one bit the whole Flowers digital-only fiasco), but the thought of them eventually releasing LT and BTTE as digital only would be incredibly disappointing. Those books are priceless to me, among other aspects of the archive books/boxes.

Ludger, Paul H and Pretty.Odd. like this.
  25. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

Might have something to do with why we haven't had the BTTE or LT cd archive releases? Either, Paul didn't particularly want to share the profits with Denny , or Denny wouldn't give his permission for his tracks to be used?

Jepsom likes this.