"Official" Residents Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Helmuth

Helmuth Forum Resident

"THE SEMINAL 2002 ALBUM", I hate it when press releases try to dress up their verbiage with flowery tripe like this, surprising they didn't try to add "ICONIC" in there as well for the full flavour, :righton:

At least when Tweedles comes out again they can use "Seminal" and it wouldn't seem of of place because, you know, male genitals.

[​IMG]

I will be buying DDA though. Not universally liked among the hardcore fans I believe due to it being bit more commercially minded? I like the weird stuff too as long as it's imaginativem but , along with Animal Lover and Wormwood, I actually tend to like these three because they're more approachable.

2. Teddy Perkins

Teddy Perkins Well-Known Member

I was starting to worry because they just stopped talking about it altogether.

3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I chatted with Hardy outside the venue for the Brooklyn stop of DDA - not knowing it was him - and mentioned I was going to see a few shows by GD offshoot The Other Ones in the coming week. I learned it was him when he started complaining about my only seeing the Residents once while I was seeing the Other Ones a few times, and noting that if fans would go see them multiple times on a tour it would do wonders for their business. This show was far from a sell out and it was a small venue. I pointed out that this would be more likely if they did a different setlist every night, and was left pretty put off by the fact that he had chosen to complain about my seeing them only once rather than being appreciative of.my seeing them once.

If your show doesn't sell well performers should really avoid complaining about it to those who did make the effort and spend the $ to show up.

4. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I think I listened to Tweedles once, and kind of forgot about it. Not seminal at all, but whatever helps them sell stuff. DDA I haven't played for a while, but I did enjoy those songs and live recordings a great deal.

5. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Truly if they wanted to complain about something, it should have been the decision to not tour for 10 years. By the time they came back, they had lost any momentum and I don't think they really gained a ton more new fans in that era. Also, I never got the chance to see them until Talking Light. I get I live in Western Canada, but their market was major US cities and Europe, so you can only sell so many tickets.

6. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

nedison and The_Windmill like this.
  7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

There was also a DVD release of the show....
    very strange indeed that it's not included in the box....

wolfram likes this.
  8. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

All pREServed releases haven't included dvd's as of yet.

9. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

I was expecting this too. I wonder if the Wormwood and Cube E boxes didn't do such good business so this was cut back? The Mole Box sold out, the others didn't.

wolfram likes this.
  10. TheSleeper

TheSleeper Martyr Apprentice

I suspect they don't feel like releasing another big ol' box set after Wormwood (and ACS Box coming around). You can still buy the DVD btw.

11. TheSleeper

The typo has been fixed. Disc 3 is indeed live recordings (and Pickle)

1. Pickle

selections from live show
    2. Betty's Body
    3. Caring
    4. My Brother Paul
    5. The Car Thief
    6. Honey Bear
    7. Neediness

8. Wonderful / Betty (2005 rehearsal)*
    9. Demons Dance Alone (2011 rehearsal)
    10. Honey Bear (2011 wip)*
    11. Sleepwalker (Lonely Teenager)
    12. My Brother Paul (2012 studio demo)
    13. Honey Bear (live 2013)*
    14. Betty's Body (2014 studio demo)*
    15. Caring (2014 studio demo)*
    16. Make Me Moo (2014 sketch)*
    17. Mickey Macaroni (live 2014)

citizensmurf, Mort Portos and wolfram like this.
  12. Mort Portos

Mort Portos dugga dugga dugga

So no complete live show when they had dvd or Oslo to choose from, not even all the tracks from the 2nd disc of the EuroRalph expanded version and no Maxine walk-in music. What were they thinking?

Wormwood Box had 2 full performances, and that show was carried more by theatrics and concept than by enjoyable music lol. DDA is one of my faves, but maybe I'm going to skip this one. Sheesh.

wolfram likes this.
  13. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Yes, it's a pretty disappointing set for a truly great album. Maybe it's because the last box sets didn't sell well enough, but this one deserved better.

Mort Portos likes this.
  14. Mort Portos

Yes, that's likely. One would think they'd be able to understand that maybe a 9-disc Wormwood box wasn't an instant buy for Rz fans.

I'm further annoyed they didn't include the Shoe Salesman from the live show. And I know there's an unedited Tongue in the archives somewhere.

End rant.

wolfram likes this.
  15. TheSleeper

I'm willing to guess Maxine belongs to the Hardy estate. Maybe we'll see a Klang reissue? Seems like the kind of thing Psychofon would wanna put out on vinyl too...

16. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Secret Records (USA) is planning a vinyl double album consisting of two Bobuck and/or Hardy albums previously available on cd only. They didn't specify which ones though.

17. 86mets

86mets Counting Crows #1 Fan

On post 5567 I would just like to say thank you to this community for keeping people like myself up to date on all things pertaining to the Residents...

18. ThirstyM

ThirstyM Well-Known Member

FYI: I saw and ordered this last week and received it the other day:
    • Buckaroo Blues (UWEB 003) (repress with green/yellow design on CD) - x2
    • An Overly Long Era of Pestilence and Plague (Bomba Records, BOM22058) (First Pressing) (sealed)
    • WB: RMX
    • The King & Eye: RMX (LC05483, A Euro Ralph release CD 031)
    • Mark of the Mole (ESD 81292)

I don't have too many CDs by the Residents in my collection so this was a nice gamble in that respect. From a physical media perspective I already had the original release of the King and Eye on CD (Enigma) and Mark of the Mole on vinyl (I think). I've acquired digital downloads of a bunch of their stuff and the 3 other albums that I got are new to me in that respect. The only real disappointment was in receiving two copies of the Buckaroo Blues CD. I would happily sell one of those copies or trade it for something else.

19. nedison

nedison Peter Blegvad's #1 Fan

That's a new one on me! Pretty good overview of the first 25 years, with some unexpected picks! Worth it for the edit of Good Lovin' alone.

20. Teddy Perkins

Teddy Perkins Well-Known Member

Absolutely this. This is my favorite way to stay up to date. I also loved the ResTube YouTube page but it hasn’t been updated in awhile. He just had a child so good luck to him if he’s here!

nedison and 86mets like this.
  21. nje50

nje50 Forum Resident

Homer turned 79 today. :cool:

22. shwabot

shwabot Forum Resident

Saw a few 7"s and a some other stuff like pins and buttons and newsletters

23. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

Slow posting here decided to try again at the cd bundle during the hardy party sale.

got

-13th anniversary live in holland. Not bad only had the vinyl before
    -fingerprince ESD edition well different art and track order so kinda unique to what I have
    -for Elsie (they seem to have a lot of these it’s the 4th I have gotten lately as it was in cd bundles sold at shows recently too)
    -kawliga mini cd single score I love mini cds for some reason.
    -big bubble Japanese cd getting a little collection of these now with mole show that I got in the last bundle
    -wb rmx already had.

truth be told I was mainly after buckaroo blues that lots of people were getting but thankfully @ThirstyM and I worked out a deal to trade one of his duplicates so I have a buckaroo blues now! Glad there are cool folks like him around here and we can help fellow fans out.

24. Mort Portos

I love the colors they used for the Fingerprince ESD disc. I saw someone got Santa Dog 92 in their bundle and i got a little jealous.

Vinyl People, how is Leftovers Again Again? MVDs list price is surprisingly high $$$ for a single lp.

25. Collapsed Lung

Collapsed Lung Forum Resident

I picked one up today -- looking forward to it, as it is that rare RSD release: One featuring genuinely unreleased music! Most RSD titles are CD bonus tracks pressed to LP for the first time...

I will say, the price in New York City was very modest. Most RSD single-LP titles seem to be in the $34-39 range, but this was around $24 at the stores I visited.

vince likes this.