"Official" Residents Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Collapsed Lung

Collapsed Lung Forum Resident

Let us know what you get when it arrives!

2. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

Well, this took a while... including a few days sitting at customs. At least there was no added customs fees, just VAT on top.

I received:

- Have A Bad Day (ESD)
    - Freak Show OST (ESD)
    - Intermission (ESD)
    - Commercial Album (Japanese Bomba w/OBI)
    - Buckaroo Blues (UWEB 003)
    - For Elsie

Obviously I could have done without the first three, I'm sure we all have enough copies of those albums in our collections... :laugh:

But "For Elsie" and "Buckaroo Blues" are genuine rarities so I'm pretty happy with my package.

And I DO like the certificate, which is nicely done and comes in a protective plastic cover with a white cardboard backing.
    I was curious if the signatures were actually real and not printed with the rest and am happy to confirm they are hand signed. It'll go in a frame and on the wall later today! Much better than some silly NFT...

3. Collapsed Lung

Collapsed Lung Forum Resident

Not bad! I was hoping for a Buckaroo Blues myself...those Bomba CDs are pretty nice -- I'm glad I got one as well. But yeah, I think we've all bought every ESD title more than once at this point!

4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

[​IMG]
    HARDY PARTY 2024!
    On March 29th, The Faceless Forever Boutique is throwing a celebration! In honor of the former Cryptic Corporation President and longtime supporter of The Residents, we will be throwing the first annual Hardy Party! There will special merchandise available for a limited time as well as other surprises. Remember to mark March 29th on your calendars! And raise a glass to our departed friend.

Mort Portos likes this.
  5. Mort Portos

Mort Portos dugga dugga dugga

Ow bout that! One one hand, yay Hardy, on the other hand, that makes me slightly uncomfortable as it feels like a death-stroke to the guiding ideology. But Yay Hardy. Codgers, Nachtzug, 25 Minus Minutes and Rilla are all masterpieces in my book.

shwabot and asenada like this.
  6. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

Took the plunge on the archive bag

got
    -Don’t be cruel cd single (not bad.)

-Our tired our poor our huddled masses 2cd version (ok didn’t have it.)

-Animal lover (didn’t have it though it’s coming as preserved soon right?)

-mole show live at the Roxy Japanese cd (neat but in the mole box)

-for Elsie (cool but I do have it)

-absolutely live 2003, ok this is weird it’s a live sampler cd with one track from demons dance Alone on it (wolverines) paired with other bands most I don’t know including yo la tengo, Townes van zandt and others. It is numbered out of 1,500 but I’m thinking this is a dud.

surfling and Mort Portos like this.
  7. Mort Portos

That's a strange sampler for sure. Eric Drew Feldman said Howe Gelb is one of his favorite musicians(mine, too) in a Homeage Conversations interview, and Feldman was one the Demons Dance Alone tour, so it makes sense is some swirl of a way. If you wanna trade for my archive WB:RMX lemme know.

8. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

So.....
    just a t-shirt....
    an EXPENSIVE t-shirt, at that!

9. nje50

nje50 Forum Resident

With the 20% off yesterday it was okay, 24 pound plus postage, but I forgot to make my final decision at night. o_O Now obviously won't order it anymore. I thought the front artwork looked really good, but the large one on the back was a negative for me.

10. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

Cherry Red have announced their May schedule - no Rez. I dare say they'll want to sell the live record for a bit longer before we get any more pREServed editions.

11. Mort Portos

Residents.com/hardyparty has a little more, a spotify playlist and a message from Homer.

"A WORD FROM HOMER FLYNN
    Today is Hardy Fox's birthday - he would have been 79. Hardy and I were friends and business partners for over fifty years. He was hands down the best friend I ever had. While Hardy's retirement from the Cryptic Corp was a surprise, my affection for H's warmth, creativity, and my memories of him have only grown. Our relationship began as roommates at Louisiana Tech in 1963. While neither of us were/are musicians, a mutual love of music quickly established itself, peaking when we were reported to the Dean of Men for attempting to synchronize dueling versions of the Ray Charles classic “What'd I Say” on two side-by-side turntables. Our friendship cemented itself at that point but it wasn't until ten years later, when our mutual appreciation and regard for The Residents created a new bond and we became Primary Enablers for The Faceless Four.

Note: I'm the one who assembled the Hardy Party Spotify playlist that we are giving to all who are interested. While our taste in music overlapped quite a bit, we also differed in some ways, the primary difference being H's love for big band music. When we first met, Billy May's Big Fat Brass was one of this favorites and while I never embraced Billy (or certain disco acts H loved) I did come to appreciate his taste over time.

(At this point I'd like to comment on the evolution of Hardy's name. His birth name was “Hardy Winfred Fox, Jr” but when we met, he identified himself as “H.W. Fox.” Since Hardy was his father's name, the family, in typical southern fashion, labeled their only son “H.W.” to avoid confusion. Over the years, H.W. was shortened to “H” which is how I always referred to him. Meanwhile H had two primary romantic partners over the years who both called him Hardy, so that's the name that stuck for most people.)

It's been five years since H died, leaving a void in my life that has proved difficult, if not impossible to fill. My birthday is about two weeks after his and one thing I've learned in my almost 79 years is that relationships like ours don't come around very often; if you find yourself in one, embrace and cherish it while you can, it won't be around forever.

Meanwhile... The Residents thrive, survive and endure, which is exactly what H would want.

With great love and affection

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, H

- Homer"

shwabot, vince, mBen989 and 1 other person like this.
  12. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

I'm glad Homer added the letter to the page, otherwise it would be a bit of an uncomfortable mix of remembering Hardy and marketing... but the letter seems heartfelt.

Mort Portos likes this.
  13. nje50

nje50 Forum Resident

Klanggalerie

Mort Portos likes this.
  14. Mort Portos

Any idea how to get this deal to work?

15. nje50

nje50 Forum Resident

The last time, I ordered one via PayPal and then used their contact form to tell which second CD I want for free.

Mort Portos likes this.
  16. Mort Portos

I got a question for you all. Do you think the title Siren Song (of the Shrunken Head) refers to the singer as the shrunken headed one, or is it the listener drawn to such a song? Or is it a put down of both singer and consumer of trite lyrics?

17. TheSleeper

TheSleeper Martyr Apprentice

I imagine the shrunken head is singing the siren song, but there's something there about "you'll come to get my shrunken head" which could be the siren coming for his head, or the shrunken head is an offering maybe... I'd have to recheck the lyrics to be sure.

18. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

The song is from/by the Shrunken Head, but is not necessarily being sung by them.

19. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

20. octophone

For some reason I thought this might end up being a box but I'll take a triple CD.

21. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

22. octophone

Vinyl too - https://www.cherryred.co.uk/the-residents-demons-dance-alone-double-vinyl-edition

"pREServed for future generations - this is The Residents as we’ve always wanted to hear them, and the latest in a series of archival reissues that will continue throughout 2024 and beyond. Look out for forthcoming ‘Animal Lover’ and ‘Tweedles!’ sets, as well as the long- awaited ‘American Composers Series’ pREServed set and a number of special vinyl releases."

mBen989 and citizensmurf like this.
  23. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I appreciate them releasing albums on vinyl that were originally cd-only. Though I do wish they'd repress Freak Show on vinyl at some point.

octophone likes this.
  24. TheSleeper

TheSleeper Martyr Apprentice

likely mistake. 3rd disc is probably live selections. Full show won't fit in one disc

25. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

Yes!! There's hope!

octophone likes this.