NEW RELEASE-Frank Zappa Waka/Wazoo Deluxe 4CD + Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vivalapsych, Oct 11, 2022.

1. SilverBottomSavior

SilverBottomSavior Forum Resident

I seem to remember Joe explaining that the effect was added live by the soundman and was unfortunate and couldn't be removed.

All of the Petite Wazoo concerts are live-to-stereo mixes. Nothing can be done except blending in a stereo audience track.

folkfreak and Cherrycherry like this.
  2. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

I live in Canada and the record store I've shopped at for decades STILL hasn't got this in.
    I wonder if any shops in Canada were sent this?

What's the deal??

3. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

I got my copy at Sunrise Records at the CrossIron Mills mall just north of Calgary.

4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I think the same vocal effect in Cosmik is in an audience tape of one of the other shows.

Cherrycherry likes this.
  5. omma

omma Forum Resident

Is there no original album art in this release?

6. TwentySmallCigars

The front covers of the original LP's are included in the booklet. Other than the Blu-ray, the original albums aren't in the box set.

By the time you purchase this box, you should already own the the original albums on vinyl or CD, which contain the original album art.

7. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

Hmmmm......
    You know,I remember when Meat Light was released I was disappointed it didn't have the Uncle Meat cover.
    The original Uncle Meat cover was so repulsive! It was awesome LOL
    one of my very favourite album covers.
    You have to wonder what Frank was thinking? haha!

alakulju likes this.
  8. mjzee

mjzee Forum Resident

Not only was it repulsive (and don't forget the back cover!), and didn't state the names of the Mothers of Invention or Frank Zappa on the cover. What deeply impressed me was that this fully-priced double LP was the initial release on Bizarre/Reprise. A more conventional artist would have tried to make the first release more appealing, hoping for more sales and to impress Reprise. Frank went out of his way to be uncompromising.

9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

One of the first interview bytes in the Alex Winter doc, is where he discusses discovering Varese and other contemporary composers, and being fascinated by the idea of intentionally making "ugly music". The album art ethos is right in sync with this.

Plan9 likes this.
  10. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

what is so gross about the Uncle Meat album cover?
    am i missing something?

Zappateer likes this.
  11. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

Ya, that footage of the Mothers ripping up FREAK OUT.
    Self-deprecating before it was cool!
    "...another smashflop!"

12. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

Exactly!
    I think that cover is so iconic.
    All his album covers were

13. omma

omma Forum Resident

It's probably down to not wanting to pay Cal Schenkel royalties for his cover art.
    Some of his LP covers have not made the transition to CD (Ruben & The Jets, Uncle Meat, etc.)

I remember my brother buying Uncle Meat the day it came out in our neighborhood ShopRite supermarket.
    (Can you imagine?)

14. SilverBottomSavior

Not sure what you mean. The album covers are intact on the CD's. The 1995 CD of "Uncle Meat" even included the full booklet.

The Project/Object series are standalone documentaries, so of course they don't use the original artwork, but "Greasy Love Songs" does includes much of the original "Ruben" artwork on the inside of the package anyway.

15. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Can only daydream of the moment in time one could buy Uncle Meat brand new. Your brother was hip.

(My brother bought Toys In the Attic new, but that was another era...the Renaissance was over.)

16. idiot bastard

idiot bastard Zappa nerd

I thought Zappa (now Universal) own(s) all of the artwork Cal did for his albums, so there would be no further royalties due.

17. SilverBottomSavior

I don't think there is a conflict with using Cal's art.

This is speculation arising from his revised artwork for some 1995 Ryko titles reverting to the original (inferior) art in 2012, which is probably because of legalese between Ryko and Gail.

And the occasional confused notion that Project/Object releases should have used the original album artwork.

18. Dillydipper

Did Cal ever prepare a Lather cover? I would have assumed by this time FZ would know how much lead time he would have needed, and assumed the breakdown with him and Warners would have happened late in the process.

19. SilverBottomSavior

Not Cal, but it became the cover of "Joe's Garage".

[​IMG]

Dillydipper likes this.
  20. Dillydipper

Nice! Yeah, I can see that "matinee idol", 'Yerbouti" quality in it.

21. SilverBottomSavior

So alas, it was a requirement to make an all-new cover. The Dweezil-approved "cow" cover is pretty ugly, but I still think it's way better than the 2012 "money shot" version - that's just embarrassing.

22. TwentySmallCigars

Yeah, for such a great album the officially released artwork (especially the 'cow' cover) is pretty bad. They should have just used the artwork from the original vinyl bootleg:
    [​IMG]

23. Dillydipper

So, that's the cover I know from the boot. What exactly was this? I always like this one.
    (maybe somehow connected spirtually with the feel of Benny Bell's "Shaving Cream"...?)

vivalapsych likes this.
  24. TwentySmallCigars

This came out in the early 1980's and was an exact copy of one of the test pressings that leaked out.

It's a (slight) parody of an original Edison Records label.
    [​IMG]

anth67 likes this.
  25. Dillydipper

Anybody ever take credit for this album design, or would that have put the bootlegger in jeopardy?