NEW RELEASE-Frank Zappa Waka/Wazoo Deluxe 4CD + Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vivalapsych, Oct 11, 2022.

1. vivalapsych

vivalapsych Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Great Googly Moogly!

3. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

4. monotone

monotone I know noothing.

And in multichannel!

5. Nice!

mark winstanley likes this.
  6. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Great! One of Zappa’s finest eras. Automatic buy. I’ve got first presses of WAKA and WAZOO. This’ll make a perfect compliment.

7. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

The addition of the George Duke material is interesting. That might spark some interest outside of the Zappaverse. Order accordingly, this is an immediate pre-order for me.

8. WyldRage

WyldRage Forum Resident

Nice! ...but I think I'll skip it: outakes and alternative versions are not that interesting to me.

That said, if the Blu-ray is a remix of the stereo albums, I might buy that one if it's available separately.

9. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Nice to finally have this stuff, but its a bit odd they chose to include another artist's work on a Zappa box. Wouldn't it have made more sense to license these to the Duke estate for inclusion on one of his releases, and give us more unreleased live Zappa?

10. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

That will be a cold day in hell when they release something that is convenient for the fans.

11. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I thought the same thing, but it looks like only the four songs Zappa played on and a few outtakes.

12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Strange way to promote it.....
    Is this 'pre-hype'?

13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I doubt there is enough interest in the Duke material for a separate release. Also, it sounds similar to the Zappa 1972 records as I think Dunbar and the bass player were on it, as well as Zappa.

As far as 1972 live stuff, they have already released a lot and may be getting near the end of what's in the vault, or maybe there is something they're saving for yet another future release.

Swansong, izgoblin and MungoMusic like this.
  14. MrJerry1876

MrJerry1876 Short Distance Voyager

Yeah! This'll be awesome! I love these albums, especially the two title tracks.
    I welcome the George Duke outtakes, because I really like his solo stuff from this period as well. And if Zappa worked on them, then they're Zappa-related tracks as far as I'm concerned. I wonder if they're from the same sessions as the Zappa albums?
    The concert will be cool, the setlist looks different enough from Wazoo to entice me. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but is the concert completely unreleased officially?
    Really looking forward to this, but I'll wait to preorder it until it's being sold in the US...

15. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

I can't keep up :sweating:

barfko, GRompre68, pinkrudy and 6 others like this.
  16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I think so, although there were one or two unknown date tracks from the previous CDs by the Petit Wazoo that could be from this show.

mikmcmee and MrJerry1876 like this.
  17. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

European sites will often 'leak' info when they get it from their distributor. I haven't ever seen a case where the pre-hype info was incorrect.

vince likes this.
  18. MrJerry1876

MrJerry1876 Short Distance Voyager

I wonder if they may release more multichannel remixes down the line. A while back I think I heard someone say that they weren't going to release any Zappa albums on multichannel, so this is promising.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
  19. davidhuret

davidhuret Forum Resident

Cool. Two of my favorite Zappa albums.

20. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident

I love the grand wazoo, but i’m not interested into the making of , or little wazoo live. Without me.

21. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Frank was an early adapter of multichannel, so I would think it makes sense. I think at this point they're worried about tinkering too much with what's in the vault and have been releasing it as is.

mark winstanley and MrJerry1876 like this.
  22. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Details, in case the link disappears:

[​IMG]

A comprehensive 4-CD + Blu-ray Audio box set celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Mothers Of Invention/Hot Rats/Grand Wazoo experience from 1972. During the aftermath of being pushed off the stage at the Rainbow Theatre in London, England; FZ found himself recuperating for months in his home in Laurel Canyon. Although he was confined to a wheelchair, his work ethic could not be tamed. During this time, he managed, among other things, to assemble an ensemble that quenched his thirst and desire to work with a large “Electric Orchestra.” Ultimately, a 20-piece group was contracted, along with recording sessions and an 8-city tour. Shortly thereafter, a scaled down 10-piece configuration, now known as the “Petit Wazoo” toured for almost two months. After all was said and done, FZ finished the experiment with two albums in the can, Waka/Jawaka & The Grand Wazoo, plus two tours and an archive of show masters in his Vault. It was a monumental feat for a guy with a cast on his leg and a conductor’s baton in his hand. The Waka/Wazoo box set features a complete historical run-down of the entire project, featuring alternate takes of almost every composition recorded during the album sessions, along with Vault mix session outtakes and oddities. Also included is the full final show of the 10-piece tour, recorded at the famous Winterland Ballroom in San Francisco on December 15, 1972. The Blu-ray Audio disc features both albums with brand-new, first-time-ever Atmos and 5.1 mixes from the original multi-tracks and the 96kHz 24-bit high-resolution stereo remasters. Finally, during the album recording sessions at Paramount Studios, FZ worked with George Duke on some of Duke’s solo material. These demos were produced by Zappa, who also played guitar. Although George would go on to re-record the compositions for his own albums, the versions with FZ have never been officially issued until now.

TRACKLISTING

CD 1

Paramount Studios Recording Session Alternates and Outtakes

1. Your Mouth (Take 1)

2. Big Swifty (Alternate Take)

3. Minimal Art (Eat That Question – Version 1, Take 2)

4. Blessed Relief (Outtake Version)

5. Think It Over (The Grand Wazoo) (Outtake Version)

6. For Calvin (And His Next Two Hitch-Hikers) (Outtake Version)

7. Waka/Jawaka (Outtake Version)

CD 2

Paramount Studios Recording Session Alternates and

Outtakes, continued

1. Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus (Alternate Take)

2. Eat That Question (Version 2, Alternate Take)

3. Big Swifty (Alternate Mix)

4. For Calvin (And His Next Two Hitch-Hikers)

(Alternate Mix)

5. It Just Might Be A One-Shot Deal (Alternate Mix)

6. Waka/Jawaka (Alternate Mix)

7. Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus (Alternate Mix)

8. Eat That Question (Alternate Mix)

CD 3

George Duke Demos – The Master Versions

1. For Love (I Come Your Friend)

2. Psychosomatic Dung

3. Uncle Remus (Instrumental)

4. Love

George Duke Session Outtakes

5. For Love (I Come Your Friend) (Basic Track, Take 1)

6. Psychosomatic Dung (Basic Track, Take 2)

7. Love (Basic Track, Take 1)

The Grand Wazoo – Live

8. Approximate (Live – FZ Record Plant Mix)

10-Piece/Petite Wazoo – Live / Winterland Ballroom, San Francisco, CA – 12-15-1972

9. Winterland ’72 Opening And Band Introductions

10. Little Dots

CD 4

10-Piece/Petite Wazoo – Live, continued

Winterland Ballroom, San Francisco, CA – 12-15-1972

1. America Drinks

2. Montana

3. Farther O’Blivion

4. Cosmik Debris

5. Chunga’s Revenge

BLU-RAY AUDIO

48kHz 24-bit Dolby Atmos, 48kHz 24-bit Dolby TrueHD

5.1, 96kHz 24-bit PCM Stereo

WAKA/JAWAKA

1. Big Swifty

2. Your Mouth

3. It Just Might Be A One-Shot Deal

4. Waka / Jawaka

THE GRAND WAZOO

1. The Grand Wazoo

2. For Calvin (And His Next Two Hitch-Hikers)

3. Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus

4. Eat That Question

5. Blessed Relief

23. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

The Roxy Performances box begs to differ.
    That is the one to beat, for content AND price.

24. bridgeless

bridgeless Forum Resident

It’s also of note that the website linked shows both albums being reissued on vinyl as well. So hopefully there are getting the same treatment as the vinyl reissues of the last several years.

25. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I would have been on the fence with just the CDs. The Blu-ray puts it over the top for me. Atmos and TrueHD 5.1! I'm there.

garumph, quicksrt, Tristero and 2 others like this.