New Pearl Jam album "Dark Matter" out April 19, 2024

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Python, Feb 13, 2024.

1. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Or hear me out - they are musicians who like making music even if some fans here and then dislike their direction? Lol

Count me in as a sycophant sheep, I am loving this album and am seeing them live next month

2. dewiecox

dewiecox Forum Resident

Yikes!!

3. C’mon Unthought Known is Visions Of Johanna next to Johnny Guitar.

Tim Simmons likes this.
  4. daltieri

daltieri The 80`s kick ass

Wow!! Been listening to my vinyl today. It sounds awful.
    What happened! Gigaton vinyl was sublime.
    I can´t imagine how the CD sounds...
    Not a fan of Andrew Watt. Hated the production of Hackney Diamonds also.
    Just plain terrible production.
    Terrible mixing also.
    Shame because there are a lot of good songs and highlights for me, McCready for instance.
    Never expected the album / vinyl to sound that bad.
    And expensive...

On_the_dunes likes this.
  5. OneMoreCupOfCoffee

OneMoreCupOfCoffee Forum Resident

Me too. Baaaa!!

This album is really getting under my skin. The production choices aren't really bothering me as much as I thought they would when I heard the first single.

The band is really firing as a unit, particularly on songs like React, Respond, Waiting for Stevie and Got to Give. Lyrically it is Eddie's best in a long time, maybe even this century.

Seeing them in June and I'd love to hear any of these in the setlist.

edkall, mastaflatch, oneway23 and 2 others like this.
  6. Jazzlober

Jazzlober Forum Resident

I'm with you. They're part of the machine now.

FourWalledWorld and Alenjanro like this.
  7. 4th

4th Forum Resident

I like it.
    Best since Riot Act.

I'm enjoying this comedy free-form angst thread.
    Farkin' hilarious.

ARK and edkall like this.
  8. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Musicians make music! This, and other stories...at 11pm!

This album rips.

9. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Yeah, unfortunately this is sad but true. I have the 24 bit files and although I love the songs and performances, the sound quality is terrible.

dobyblue likes this.
  10. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Nice, can't wait to hear the rest!

Chauncey likes this.
  11. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

listened to it twice the other day.
    i own all of their albums and have been a fan since seeing the video for "Alive" back in the day.
    i enjoy all of their albums, but for me Gigaton and this new album are least favorite albums they've done so far.
    i hope they'll grow on me, but not too impressed with their latest output really.
    i feel their peak was Yield, with Binaural almost as good as it. after that i seem to like 1/2 or 3/4 of their albums, but not the whole album
    anymore.

The MEZ, Alenjanro and Doomster like this.
  12. On_the_dunes

On_the_dunes Forum Resident

How can I get these tracks?
    Thank you

13. track11

track11 Forum Resident

Yeah, I am so confused re this Atmos Josh Evans version that has a DR of 12. What does ‘Atmos-> Stereo’ mean? Is that what you hear when you turn on Spatial Audio with compatible headphones in Apple Music? Or only available if you have a surround setup and the deluxe cd version disk? Ie, is this not anything that can be heard in a standard setup?

14. Adfly7

Adfly7 Nebula 2 Closed Galaxy Bend

Ok, Í bought Ten the year of release, happy the guys are still at it.
    I have waited since Riot Act that they would get their Americana / Or Neil Young legacy act together, but still trying to write fast rockers & delusional groundbreaking opening tracks nobody wants to hear. They already did No Code, please try to copy/paste that instead of this.

15. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

The Deluxe Edition is really affordable and comes with a CD and Blu-ray, the lossless Atmos mix is on the Blu-ray.

On_the_dunes likes this.
  16. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

The songs sound better live on Stern than the actual studio album. I do not like the mix/sound of the album at all.

J_D__ and Spaceboy like this.
  17. All Shook Down

All Shook Down @Lost Mixtapes on You Tube

What happened to songs that grabbed you by the throat, but mostly the heart and demanded that you take notice? There's just nothing here.

18. HotelYorba101

For me personally those tracks include "Scared of Fear", "Waiting For Stevie", "Upper Hand" and "Wreckage"

Vsenese and mastaflatch like this.
  19. All Shook Down

All Shook Down @Lost Mixtapes on You Tube

"Upper Hand" was the only one that kind of stood out for me. But I've listened to the album twice now pretty attentively and couldn't quote a single lyric or hum any kind of melody. Nothing hooky or memorable that makes me want to return to it. I haven't found much to like by them since Binaural though. Just seems to me like they lost the plot a long time ago, but I did really want to like this one.

Spaceboy likes this.
  20. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I didn’t realize the new album was out until today. PJ has never made a bad record so I will be picking this up sight unseen. I have really enjoyed The last three albums. Watt did a good job with the Stones on Hackney Diamonds so the pairing with PJ is right up my alley.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
  21. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

It's crazy to me how many people are not liking this record and I think this is the best thing they've done in over twenty years.

Someone on the PJ forum mentioned that somehow Watt allowed Pearl Jam to be Pearl Jam. I could not agree more.

The MEZ, ARK, spintheblack72 and 2 others like this.
  22. Alenjanro

Alenjanro Senior Member

Howard Stern is a fawning fool. I remember hearing Vedder from an early 90's live boot I used to have calling him a POS, it had something to do with Stern making fun of disabled people or something and Vedder calling him out on it. I remembered it and was suprised Vedder did his show a couple of years back.

The first question I would ask is "why does the record sound like crap?"

FourWalledWorld, Spaceboy and JasonA like this.
  23. Alenjanro

Alenjanro Senior Member

:rolleyes:

FourWalledWorld and Spaceboy like this.
  24. HotelYorba101

Dude chillax, you don't like the album and that is okay but its just constant nonstop "this sucks and Pearl Jam should have given up long ago" thing is a bit wearing. If that person likes every PJ album and doesn't think they made a bad one we don't need to roll eyes at them liking stuff lol

ducksdeluxe, ARK, mastaflatch and 3 others like this.
  25. Alenjanro

Alenjanro Senior Member

Why do you find it crazy that people don't like the album? People have different sets of standards, such is life. To the casual PJ listener I guess I understand how they enjoy it.

Like I said earlier in the thread, the first 5/6 albums set a very high bar and to me and others, it's been a steady decline in quality ever since. It happens, not every band can sustain that level of high quality output.