New Pearl Jam album "Dark Matter" out April 19, 2024

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Python, Feb 13, 2024.

1. Trag

Trag Forum Resident

Hey all. Like many in this thread, the mastering job limits (ha ha) my enjoyment of this record considerably…

So I’ve been ripping the Atmos mixes and folding the stems down to a more dynamic stereo mix. I’ll wrap this project soon and will share, but here’s a taste:

Waiting For Stevie.wav

On_the_dunes, JasonA, walrus and 7 others like this.
  2. Chauncey

Chauncey Forum Resident

Thanks! It's definitely an improvement.

BoogieFish and Trag like this.
  3. Alenjanro

Alenjanro Senior Member

£100?? Wow. I had no idea thats how much it costs these days. I saw them twice at Wembley Arena in 1996 for £15 each night. Amazing shows.

Spaceboy likes this.
  4. Alenjanro

Alenjanro Senior Member

Sinatra sounded better with age. Vedders vocals are totally different now. I dislike the way he sings now, he kind of over sings every word.

5. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Pearl Jam did "Scared of Fear" and "Running" on Stern today (along with "Daughter" and "Yellow Ledbetter") and both sounded fantastic. Eddie sounded great despite it being early for them on an early AM radio show to go full throttle

Re: Eddie, personally I still am a fan of Eddie's vocals - there was that brief period in the later half of 2022 where I got a bit worried because they started drop tuning more songs and he seemed to be struggling however that was due to breathing in air related to the Paris fires and by 2023 things seemed back up and running

Eddie doesn't have that low gutteral type of delivery like he used to, but that "it" quality about his voice I still find intact, be it on record or live. I remember seeing them last, when Eddie hit the long notes to "Release" the sound boomed through the entire arena - instant chills

Jerjo, Umbari, Spaceboy and 2 others like this.
  6. Trag

Trag Forum Resident

Listened to this in my car and the drums were overpowering. I’ve removed access, will update with a share link once this is wrapped.

j3brow and superstar19 like this.
  7. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

I got the special cd edition coming with the extra dolby atmos cd. Is it better and more dynamic?

8. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

The Atmos mix is. The CD and stereo mix on the Blu-ray are not.

onm3rcur7 likes this.
  9. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

good lord the vinyl sounds terrible. what the hell is wrong with this group.

10. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

This is a solid set of songs that ended up sounding like crap.
    Wish they had gone with almost any other producer/mixer.

Dorian75, J_D__ and Doomster like this.
  11. andyediewatt

andyediewatt Forum Resident

It's a kinda solid set of songs that sound terrible. The mix hurts my ears with Eddie's vocals soooo low and the guitars muddled together. I think they'd benefit from one of Neil Young's guys like John Hanlon or Niko Bolas producing.

PH416156 likes this.
  12. Yeah similar to what Andrew Watt did with the Stones.

GentleSenator, aorecords and Jerjo like this.
  13. Not make it sound like he was the producer.

mick_sh likes this.
  14. Johnny Guitar has a lifetime monopoly on that prize.

15. dewiecox

dewiecox Forum Resident

Not even the worst song in the album lyrically. That’d be the Incubus Lite Unthought Known.

SilverBottomSavior likes this.
  16. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Got my vinyl today. Spun the black circle.

Then I played an original US Vs.

With all due respect, anyone who thinks that DM vinyl SQ is acceptable is on denial.

17. Alenjanro

Alenjanro Senior Member

The US vinyl orginal of VS is superb. The recent 45rpm is also stellar

Nrochie4184, Jazzlober and mick_sh like this.
  18. dtyndall

dtyndall Well-Known Member

I may be in the minority, but I really love Something Special.

On_the_dunes likes this.
  19. Paice

Paice Forum Resident

It's nothing special

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  20. Jazzlober

Jazzlober Forum Resident

Like everything Pearl Jam has recorded this century. So bland and forgettable. Why do they still do it? I doubt they record an album and think to themselves "this is really good". It is like they don't have an option to knock it on the head, similar to U2.

The first three albums were good. The next couple have their moments. And that's it for me.

21. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

hey at least the sleeve and the vinyl look cool!

mick_sh likes this.
  22. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

Honestly, the sooner Watt heads back to pop the better. I totally get that he's a huge rock fan, more so than pop, that he has performed in rock bands and that he is an authentically massive fan of bands like The Rolling Stones and Pearl Jam. So he has the stripes, in that sense. So, he's of course completely entitled to be involved with artists who are looking for his "input" ...

... BUT somehow, (1) his sonic sensibility to render these bands in "the modern way" doesn't suit their style of music, in my opinion. And it may be irrational, but (2) his extensive co-songwriting credits make me wonder what focus grouped "pop hook alchemy" he's sprinkled on, verses what my favorite bands might have created themselves (I get that "nothing" is a possible reply). Dare I say it, but his input feels even worse for a grunge band, with their associated sensibilities ... I mean putting Cornell's Timbaland "moment" to one side, could we see Soundgarden do this, or Nirvana, if either band was still around? No way.

Anyways, rant over.

================

Back to the album - its taken me 4 listens, and I am now "getting into" the album some more. Yipee ... I've persevered mainly due to all the positive comments here and also the relatively glowing critical reaction.

Feels like a generally good, not amazing, set of songs, and a handful of crackers. I generally dislike albums where the vocals are mixed too forward and guitars pushed back (actually a good few latter Stones albums suffer from this) and here we have the opposite, but it doesn't really work, for reasons I cannot explain. And somehow, even the harder rocking songs don't come alive they way they should compared to PJ's past. "Dark Matter" is a cool track, reminiscent of "Blood", but the way the guitars are tracked, they feel, dunno, less "guitary" and more like wedges of noise. Again, I can't quite figure it out!

Umbari, Alan57, Paice and 2 others like this.
  23. Alenjanro

Alenjanro Senior Member

Because they cant give it up. They think they still hold some influence on the general public and in some part they do with the sychophant sheep. Why do you think their ticket prices are so high? Because they pretty much hate what the modern working class stand for. They don't want fans in the arena opposing what they stand for and calling out their hypocrisy. And what do they stand for now? Elitism. They have become what they fought against in the early part of the 90's. Extreamly sad.

FourWalledWorld and blair207 like this.
  24. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Dark Matter

Top: Atmos > Stereo
    Bottom: 24/48 lossless download (Apple)

[​IMG]

The Atmos mix is really good, lots of energy, adventurous surround without being gimmicky, everything breathes and finds it place in the mix and it really delivers. Also, gorgeous deep low end, the lowest registers of the bass guitar and kick drum are full of aplomb.

weekendtoy, Ludger, pexie and 7 others like this.
  25. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Will sound the same as the download, Pearl Jam don't master vinyl separately. The 45rpm of Vs is the 2017 digital master, etc.