New Pearl Jam album "Dark Matter" out April 19, 2024

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Python, Feb 13, 2024.

1. Python

Python Forum Resident Thread Starter

(from the PJ website):

Pearl Jam’s 12th studio album, Dark Matter, will be released on Monkeywrench/Republic Records on April 19, 2024. The album was produced by Andrew Watt and is the band’s first release since 2020's Gigaton.

In 2023, the band retreated to Shangri-La Studios in Malibu where they simply plugged in and played under the watch of producer Watt. Writing and recording in a burst of inspiration, Dark Matter was born in just three weeks. As a result, the album channels the shared spirit of a group of lifelong creative confidants and brothers in one room playing as if their lives depended on it.

Pearl Jam is celebrating indie record stores with the release of a special edition of Dark Matter on April 20, only at participating stores as part of Record Store Day. Get more information and find stores at www.recordstoreday.com

2. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

3. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
    TONY MAGS, ARAMP1, Sean and 2 others like this.
  4. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

High level of anticipation in this household. Strong rumors of tour dates in my country too. First single is SOLID!

TONY MAGS and Billy_Sunday like this.
  5. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’ll try and get the RSD vinyl and the CD/Blu Ray.

Love the first track, and was a big fan of Gigaton so hopefully this doesn’t disappoint

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  6. What’s on the blu ray?

7. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Hi Res and Atmos

ARK and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  8. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

You know, I’m increasingly not embarrassed to say that legacy rock is where I’m at these days on new music … loved the recent Metallica, RHCP, Queens of the Stone Age, Cult and Rolling Stones releases … now, Black Crowes and Pearl Jam coming in succession. Bring it on.

On Pearl Jam, here’s hoping this is more like Backspacer than Lightning Bolt, and although most loved it, Gigaton wasn’t for me.

9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Andrew Watt strikes again, the mastering is atrocious. The track itself is mediocre, it could be a Muse song if it wasn't for Eddie's vocals.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
  10. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Pretty jazzed that we're getting a CD/blu-ray deluxe package with hi-res audio and Dolby Atmos.
    I know you could listen to Dolby on Apple Music, but, it's nice to hear about a physical release this time.
    Gigaton's Dolby version didn't get one.

11. laether

laether Forum Resident

Interesting!

Will have a single listening party with my friends on Friday. Busy guys so online only. But when the album drops will have a real parrrty.

12. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

As a long time fan, I kinda miss their earlier knack for hooks and melodies.
    The band is at it's best when they're being melodic. This (so far) still ain't it.

13. tcj

tcj Senior Member

It's an okay song, might grow on me, but I was immediately disappointed with not just the mastering but the sound of the drums specifically. They've either gone with the terrible trend of triggered drums or mixed the drums to have that sound and it's AWFUL.

14. Vox78

Vox78 Forum Resident

Yeah, it sounds like it was designed for Apple’s ‘spatial audio’ or something. The whole thing sounds like a Lego version of what a rock band should sound like.

At no stage does it sound like a band in a room . As with the last album, I have no idea what Eddie is singing….Still, I’m just happy these guys are still recording and touring. If the new album is great, that will be a real bonus!

15. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

Interesting observation. There’s an Atmos mix available for pre-order with the deluxe CD. Maybe that’s the way this album will sound best…?

16. IMayBeStupid

IMayBeStupid Forum Resident

Hi. Just curious, what exactly is wrong with triggered drums in terms of sound quality? Curious question.

17. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Wonder if the vinyl mastering will be any better than this bricked digital - it has to be!

18. onlysleeping

onlysleeping Forum Resident

Vinyl shipping is too high. I will wait to see if k can find a copy in store. Are they allowing non ten club members to buy the exclusive?
    The single is ok. Reminds me of “I love rock and roll” mixed with “stinkfist”.

19. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

the new song is alright....not terrible, but not that great either.
    but i own all Pearl Jam albums and enjoy at least 3/4 of each album
    so far, so i'll be buying the cd/blu ray version, no problem.

TONY MAGS, No Bull and WilliamWes like this.
  20. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

How much is shipping?
    I couldn't get past the $45 for a single LP!

21. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

New song is boring af.

22. onlysleeping

onlysleeping Forum Resident

$13.30 bringing the total for the 10 club version to just under $60. I have their other albums and I’m sure I’ll get this one but I’ll wait until my local record store gets it.

23. WildRumpus

WildRumpus Forum Resident

Going to try for the RSD release. It looks phenom. I also would be happy with the “black hole” (black) vinyl if I miss out.

24. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Who'd have thunk they'd be stealing album titles from Randy Newman?

25. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

That’s a bold release date, the number one spot is almost impossible! You know why:D

Nevertheless, I’m looking forward to the album. I never was a massive fan of the band, but I like some of their material:cool: