Neil Young 2024 tour…Crazy Horse?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin j, Jan 8, 2024.

1. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

Just got back from the SD show. First time seeing them without Poncho but this was absolutely the real deal. At times it felt like the amphitheater was getting ready for liftoff. Fantastic show.

2. onlycastlesburning

onlycastlesburning it’s all one song

That set list is great looking. Going to be a long 4 weeks until I get to see the show!

jumpinjulian likes this.
  3. Alright4now

Alright4now Forum Resident

Incredible setlist.

4. imail724

imail724 Forum Resident

Couldn't ask for a better setlist. Counting down the days until Forest Hills now. Anyone get merch pics?

5. adad

adad Forum Resident

I went with my two older kids last night. Wow. It was great. Seen him many times over the years. To me he was still as good as ever. Go see him if you can.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
  6. Leugi

Leugi Forum Resident

Looking forward to May 11.

7. Heavy J

Heavy J Forum Resident

I'll be there May 11th too!

8. redmedicine

redmedicine Pop Punk Psych Prog

I'm really looking forward to this. One thing I've noticed in the clips, and this isn't a huge criticism, is that the tempos seem to be a bit slower. They're a bunch of 75 year olds, so i don't begrudge them approaching the music differently now. Anyone else notice this?

9. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

NYCH tempos have been slowing since 1996!!!!!

I’ve heard versions of Cortez where it’s so slow I don’t even know how Ralph can keep a steady beat. So slow he could eat some fries between snare hits.

Sometimes it works to a songs advantage but other time it can take a jam and turn it to sludge.

adad, domesticmachine, anth67 and 3 others like this.
  10. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

While I gotta admit that's a set of nothing but bangers as the kids would say....is anyone a little, I dunno, even THEORETICALLY disappointed in how backward looking it is? Nothing unless I missed it from THIS CENTURY for an artist/band that's done a fair amt of work this century.

I know, I know. Every song they DID play was a classic. So why even think this. I dunno. Just being an obnoxious fan I suppose.

It's like...I guess mostly WE know and I guess we now have evidence NEIL knows that he did more consistently classic work in the last century. And beyond a couple-three tracks from Psych Pill there isn't anything I think CH has done this century that fits in quality wise with that set....but I guess I still have some theoretical attachment to idea of Neil as always questing fresh and new....tho does that mean I would prefer sitting thru a track from COLORADO over I dunno "Don't Be Denied"? I guess not.....

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
  11. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

Having read that set list can I just exhale another heavy sigh that the citizens of Europe do not appear to be lined up for some Horse.

12. Paul Gase

That’s a pretty heavy “hits” setlist for NYCH. Interesting to see if it will morph over the course of this big tour.

I’m not complaining but would point out to anyone who will listen that “Chevrolet” is an absolute banger of a NYCH tune and frankly I am surprised it wasn’t part of the setlist.

anth67 and Twinge Crispy like this.
  13. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Yes, I was there. It dragged a lot. Maybe first night nerves and all that didn't help.

It was a very old crowd, no families evident. The ADA entry line was almost as long as the regular entry lines. The Branch Davidian sex cult was an interesting choice for an opener.

I overheard a guy from Neil's camp saying a Neil Young/Pearl Jam film would be released very soon. Is this news?

Also Bill Walton was there, in bad shape sadly. I just googled him - he's had a lot of mobility issues in his life.

14. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Definitely seem a bit slower but they do sound great considering their ages. Watching the videos last night, I'm just hoping Billy Talbot will be able to hold up for this tour, looked like he was struggling a little bit getting around.

redmedicine likes this.
  15. Brian Doherty

Aware my post above is like a parody of an obnoxious can't be satisfied fan. "Neil played a set of nothing but wonderful classic tunes! And now here's what might be the problem with that...."

But it was a sincere thought, if perhaps a dumb one in the end.

16. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The biggest ringer is "Scattered" which wasn't even one of the better tracks on Broken Arrow...though that's the newest song in the set by some distance. Another shocker is nothing from Ragged Glory save for the one veeerrry long track which I'd say has outlived its purpose.

There are lots of newer tracks I was hoping for, including half of Barn.

Coppertop Tester likes this.
  17. Brian Doherty

Huh, didn't notice the RAGGED thing but yeh weird? Tho I am NOT one of that records biggest fans and my last CH show in Bakersfield 18? I think? Was Ragged heavy, so that didn't leap out at me and had I been there would not have minded.

Were I picking an ARROW song it would have been a different one but still would have been excited by Scattered regardless i think.

bRETT likes this.
  18. Alright4now

Alright4now Forum Resident

Ragged Glory is probably my favorite NYCH album and I still am in love with this setlist.

jumpinjulian and Adam Bosman like this.
  19. Paul Gase

Last time I saw NYCH playing a concert venue with a 'tour setlist' (unlike the Roxy album format show) was in Fresno about 6 years ago.

1. Big Time
    2. Country Home
    3. Don't Cry No Tears
    4. Winterlong
    5. World On A String
    6. Scattered (Let's Think About Livin')
    7. F*!#in' Up
    8. Too Far Gone
    9. Only Love Can Break Your Heart
    10. Cinnamon Girl
    11. Cortez The Killer
    12. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
    13. Mansion On The Hill
    14. Like A Hurricane
    ---
    15. The Losing End

That's a pretty good setlist and I am thinking that many on the list above will be possible additions or replacements for some of the songs from night #1.

Especially Big Time, Winterlong, Country Home and World On A String. Anyhow - just a hunch that these are all in the mix.

Anyone who attended: was the Stringman keyboard visible for a possible "Like A Hurricane"? It is usually suspended from the stage lighting rig and descends onto the stage if the song is going to be played.

Twinge Crispy likes this.
  20. onlycastlesburning

My guess is these are the songs they felt most comfortable playing for a first night while they work out the vibe/kinks/atmosphere of this tour. A lot of these are tried and true for them. Maybe they also want to make sure they hit the Horse classics for this most likely last tour. He definitely mentioned Words a couples times as something Ralph wanted to play and he was a bit receptive to Grey Riders when I suggested it in a letter recently, so maybe they will slowly sneak some variation into the set as the tour settles in.

jumpinjulian likes this.
  21. Leugi

Leugi Forum Resident

I think it’s Neil looking back , being with his tribe one last time….

jumpinjulian likes this.
  22. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

o_O

23. JMike

JMike Forum Resident

Well, speaking just for myself, I was on the fence about going and had decided I was going to sit out since I've seen him before and it likely wouldn't surpass the times I've seen him in the past and I convinced myself "they'll probably play a bunch of recent stuff that I'm not real into anyway".

I saw this setlist and bought tickets.

So at the risk of coming off as a casual nostalgia apologist...speaking for myself...no!

highway, adad, MrGrumpy and 1 other person like this.
  24. david gunderman

david gunderman ZosoDreamer

Looks like an incredible setlist. Does Neil change up his setlist each night? Or it’s usually the same throughout the tour? I have a long wait till the Hollywood Bowl gig. I can’t wait. 2 days after the Bowl gig I have the Experience Hendrix gig. I hope my body, soul and ears recover in 2 days.

25. onlycastlesburning

usually some variation night to night, but largely the same.

david gunderman likes this.