Is "Sky Blue Sky" Wilco's Finest Album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Umbari, Apr 23, 2024.

1. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Can't remember the last time I played this one. Not bad really, just never the one I reach for when I have that Wilco itch. YHF and Being There are my go-tos for Wilco.

2. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

This is a great point, and I agree, that's the sign a good band.

I do wonder though, for those that prefer Wilco's later output (including Sky Blue Sky), are those the albums that you heard first, and then you slowly worked backward? I tend to think that we generally prefer what we hear first (if we like it at all).

linklinc11 likes this.
  3. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

He's no longer a drug addict, that's the change. I see no drop in songwriting quality though. Just a bit different and he is alive which may not have been the case otherwise

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    linklinc11 likes this.
  4. dberthia

dberthia Curmudgeon, Skeptic

Give me Summerteeth any day of the week.

Bill Diercks likes this.
  5. MonkeyTennis

MonkeyTennis Billie Eilish style

I think there may be truth in that. Personally, I gave them a go with AM - probably 10 years ago or more, and it just didn't catch. I didn't dislike it, but it just went passed me. I then returned on the back of YHF - and that definitely worked for me. I then worked back and forth through their catalogue.

For me, personally, the low-light is Ode. I don't hate it, but I find it a little boring. Schmilcho starts with a real bang - super opening tracks, but then fades (imo). And I've just not spent enough time with Star Wars to have a solid opinion. Everything else, I like a lot. And, personally, I do think Cousin stands up with their very best. I've found myself listening to it a lot.

6. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

While I do enjoy their later albums, it would be nice to see them switch things up again. The slower, mid-tempo stuff causes some of their material to run together for me.

David Silverman likes this.
  7. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Yeah - and I think this is a pretty clear consensus. I personally now find YHF to be overrated; “overrated” in the sense that it’s the only Wilco album that I ever see appear on any “best-of” lists. IMO the band didn’t figure out how they wanted these songs to sound until a few years later. All of these songs opened up onstage, and if I want to hear YHF now, I just play Kicking Television.

Umbari and linklinc11 like this.
  8. NettleBed

9. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

SBS is a very solid album. I think it’s the anti- AGIB/YHF. It has this mellow vibe that seems the opposite of AGIBs angst. There are a handful of Wilco albums that I would rank above it, however on its own, it’s still very good.

JoeF. and MonkeyTennis like this.
  10. MonkeyTennis

MonkeyTennis Billie Eilish style

Except even he finds Ode to be plodding... at times :)

NettleBed likes this.
  11. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I was in on Wilco from the very start, as I had just fallen in love with Uncle Tupelo around 1992. And was bummed when they split up!!!

So I've lived with these albums for a long time time now. Of the first few, the only one that has fallen in my rankings is Summerteeth - something about that record now feels like a "Hey we got protools, a Mellotron and analogue sythns - lets use them - ON EVERY TRACK."

That's the only Wilco album where I've really had a change of opinion. I guess maybe too much Jay/Jeff manic behavior on that one.

chickendinna likes this.
  12. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

I listened to it the year it came out, found it dull, and haven't felt like listening to it since. At the time, it felt like an enormous drop off from A Ghost Is Born, which I loved and listened to constantly.

twicks likes this.
  13. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

I've never understood the adulation for "Summerteeth." It's a rather pedestrian album to me. Wilco's very best albums (for me) follow right after it: YHF, Ghost, and Sky Blue Sky.

It's refreshing to hear a bunch of you saying the more recent releases are forgettable, that they've gone downhill after that peak period. I agree. I have a friend who goes ape **** every time they release an album, saying how great it is. I want to say, "there's so much less to this than you think."

David Silverman, Umbari and NettleBed like this.
  14. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I think there was a relative dip with Star Wars, Schmilco and Ode to Joy. I put Cruel Country right up with the likes of Sky Blue Sky and The Whole Love. I am not sure Cousin is quite as good, but it is slowly revealing it's charms. I also haven't seen any of the songs live yet which tends to change my opinion of them.

15. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

I relistened to Star Wars today and still really enjoy it.

16. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Possibly the greatest show I’ve seen by anyone, ever - was that incarnation of Wilco in January 2003 at the Palace Melbourne. Just unbelievable from start to finish. Over 3 hours and an epic journey!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
    linklinc11 likes this.
  17. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

I feel the exact same way as you about the recent 5 albums!
    Star Wars, Schmilco and ode to joy are all forgettable. Cruel Country is fantastic and Cousin gets better the more I listen, and especially after seeing some of the songs live.
    The cruel country and cousin songs are absolutely majestic live.

adm62 and MonkeyTennis like this.
  18. JayB

JayB Senior Member

This.

NettleBed likes this.
  19. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

:) low bar

20. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member Thread Starter

Are you saying it is their fourth best album? :o

21. KngCrmsn22

KngCrmsn22 Forum Resident

I love Sky Blue Sky, it's the Wilco album I go to the most, closely followed by Summerteeth. Either Way, Impossible Germany, Side with the Seeds and On and On and On are all top notch tracks.

linklinc11, Doctor Worm and Umbari like this.
  22. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

YHF is very much a "studio" creation, though. They pretty much destroyed that version of the band figuring out the sound of that record.

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  23. NettleBed

I don't disagree with this assessment, but I think that the album is a bit too claustrophobic, staid and demo-ish, compared to what they did with the songs later. I think highly of the songs on the album and consider the album as solidly belonging among their top run of albums, but - considering how much the songs were improved outside that context - I cannot personally rank it as Wilco's best (or second or even third) best any more.

twicks likes this.
  24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I was at one of the shows at the Vic in Chicago recorded for Kicking Television. Great show. The new lineup was steadier although perhaps not as dramatic as the Summerteeth/YHF era band must have been (I never saw them, although some of my friends were at the July 4 2001 final show of the YHF lineup).

Incidentally, in 2003 I got to spend a few days at Jay Bennett's studio as my band hired him to mix a live record. He did have quite a collection of analog keyboards.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
  25. Rock bus

Rock bus Well-Known Member

Nowhere near their best and the start of their decline as far as I’m concerned.
    Quite a few tedious releases over recent years and were a far better band when Jay was around