Gen Z appears to have rejected the musical tribalism of Gen X

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Judge Judy, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

2. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I hated (and still hate) both bands, so that was a fun time.

ism and Ranzo like this.
  3. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Hey, man, is that Freedom Rock?

4. Judge Judy

My mother-in-law had a friend when they were teenagers who used to go around everywhere with her little "suitcase" full of 45s. It was an instant party wherever she went. She was definitely a 1960s precursor to Spotify.

5. GimiSomeTruth

GimiSomeTruth Forum Resident

I bet there was some 65 year old telling them that the music they were listening to was terrible, a bunch of repetitive noise and wasn’t gonna last, too.

ARK and Auntie Pho like this.
  6. IMayBeStupid

IMayBeStupid Forum Resident

Everything you just said is a broad generalization.
    Also watch your profanity.

7. Haderondah

Haderondah Active Member

Are you referring to grass roots creation and performance of music? If so, while I am happy to hear there are those who are having a very different experience. I would however, flip it around and say to you, just because you do see it, that doesn't mean it proliferates in any significant way ACROSS THE BOARD. I.E. you may be living in an enclave, town or region where it is vibrant, kudos to you and tell me where. In fact, if anyone can tell me what clubs in Montreal may be featuring a steady supply of garage punk, I'd greatly appreciate it.

8. Dewey M

Dewey M Senior Member

9. Haderondah

Haderondah Active Member

I can't tell if you're kidding. Are there rules against broad generalizations in a broadly general thread? Are there other posts you would consider acutely specific?

Is it safe to assume you're not a hip hop fan then?

10. Auntie Pho

Auntie Pho Metal Dad

I am not gonna be able to break down all the genres for you, but here are all the punk, hardcore, and DIY shows happening in Montreal.
    MONTREAL Ask A Punk

And these are older folks, but if you want to see some great power pop with punk energy, Daniel Romano's Outfit is playing in Montreal on May 29.
    Daniel Romano @ La Sala Rossa

11. Haderondah

Haderondah Active Member

Holy moly, I'm glad I asked. I look forward to exploring this. Thanks!

12. Jorje Chica

Jorje Chica Official "Tina Turner Fan"

That is basically my thought as well. For Gen X, we heard a song on the radio, MTV, in a friend's car or bedroom, then either asked someone to tape the album for us or we went out and bought it. Looking at the physical object and reading the liner notes sparked curiosity about the artist's catalogue, their contemporaries in the same genre, and the artists who influenced them. With streaming and finding one song you like on social media, the chance of developing devotion to an artist and genre is much less.

13. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

Person born in 2003 here. I think that the easy availability of so, so much music on streaming and the internet has really changed the game more than anything. Some people, as before, still make their identities around the music they listen to, but it's not nearly as gatekept and yeah, tribal, as it was thinking back to even the Nirvana days. There are still punks, especially in the city I live in which has quite a big punk scene. There are still goths who listen to goth music, and metalheads who do that. There are still Beatle fans with Beatle hair who write Beatly songs. Lots of people who develop their identities around online subcultures also have largely overlapping tastes, but there really isn't as much of a reason to be as tribal about music as before when with a free spotify account one can listen to anything from Blind Lemon Jefferson to Charli XCX. It's easier than ever to just listen to what YOU like specifically. And that's what music is all about. If people get joy from it, that's why the artist make it in the first place (and also for themselves). When I ask peers what music they like, the usual answer is "a bit of everything" or words to that effect, and I think that really says it all.

14. BejittoSSJ5

BejittoSSJ5 Forum Resident

It's moreso a jab at my own age range. I'm 23, coming up 24.
    No generally we're not as tribal, unless you're talking in political or sometimes religious areas. Personally I pick my battles, there's not a lot to be tribal over.

eddiel and A Local Bloke like this.
  15. Judge Judy

That's one of the few things in life you can probably bet money on.

ARK and GimiSomeTruth like this.
  16. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I think I reject this narrative.
    As in, I'm 52, and back in high school, me and my friends ALL listened to various kinds of music, from alternative, to metal, to rock to rap, etc. There as no "tribalism" of music then either! At least not for us (southern California).

A Local Bloke likes this.
  17. Judge Judy

Yeah, my experience is not going to be the same as everybody's. Just speaking for myself, it was pretty intense and if you went to a show by an artist in X genre but were dressed like a fan of Y genre, you could seriously get your a** kicked.

Auntie Pho likes this.
  18. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Yes. Your son's scene recalls how it was for me back in the 80s and 90s. Oh sure, there was some tribalism or posturing. The Punks claimed to dislike the Stones and Springsteen for example. But most of us liked everything from Queen to the Misfits.

KeninDC likes this.
  19. bonsaipark

bonsaipark Turn me on, Redmond

The boomers said exactly the same thing about the previous generation. All we've learned is that the cycle just goes on repeating.

A Local Bloke likes this.
  20. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

I'll say I think the problem is more the capitalism that each generation lives under than the generations themselves, but this isn't a political forum and I'm not going any further.

21. GimiSomeTruth

GimiSomeTruth Forum Resident

Yeah, no.

As someone who has seen firsthand an audience for an artist I tour with that has developed a big chunk of their audience from fans who weren’t born when the music was recorded in the late 80s… discovered it through streaming, comes to the shows, buys t shirts and vinyl, fandom is just as rabid today as ever. Plus, it’s easier than ever to discover far more music than when the world relied on physical media.

ARK and Auntie Pho like this.
  22. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I was around back then too and you're over generalising what it was like back then. Not every Gen X dug into the music the way you describe.

ARK and GimiSomeTruth like this.
  23. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

People in the 70’s who listened to Ted Nugent on the local rock radio station would need to change the channel to hear the Commodores. How many people do you know did that? Was radio the same way in the 50’s the way genres are divided for marketing and ad sales? Would a teenager in 50’s America be able to listen to Pat Boone or whatever was in at the time get to hear Howlin’ Wolf without changing the channel?

eeglug likes this.
  24. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

If I heard a station playing Howlin' Wolf, I doubt I'd ever change the station.

25. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Absolutely. I am glad members of the Rolling Stones, The Who, Clapton, etc were able to hear Howlin’ Wolf on the BBC without the need to choose. Otherwise maybe the British Invasion wouldn’t have happened or they just played more surf music. There was no music tribalism more like the American cultural divide. Disco sucks remember?

eeglug likes this.