Dr John, The Night Tripper just blew my mind!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cool Chemist, Mar 26, 2023.

1. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident Thread Starter

This weekend I cracked open one of those 5CD Original Album sets on CD with the slim cardboard cases. This one was Dr John. Bit of a punt...
    Stuck on the first CD, Gris Gris and blew my mind. What an incredible album. How has this one eluded me for so long?
    Weirdly funky, psychedelic and with voodoo influences. Sounds just as good on a mellow Sunday afternoon as a Saturday night with a nice bottle of Penfolds Shiraz.
    These kind of discoveries keep me hooked, plus I've still got 4 other CD's in this set to listen to....

2. pocketcalculator

pocketcalculator Forum Resident

Gris-Gris is also my favorite of his albums. Dr. John never quite captured that same spooky vibe again on a record, but The Sun, Moon & Herbs and his late career triumph, Locked Down, come closest.

agundy, Bill Diercks, Fullbug and 6 others like this.
  3. Cool Chemist

The Sun, Moon & Herbs is in this set, so I will look forward to that.
    I will look out for Locked Down.

joelee and Crimson Witch like this.
  4. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

My favorite is side one of Remedies, which fuses that voodoo sound with more of a New Orleans R&B vibe. Some of his greatest songs there. Side two is interesting but pretty clearly unfinished.

Bill Diercks, DTK, Jonny W and 5 others like this.
  5. Cool Chemist

That one is missing from this set, unfortunately!

Crimson Witch likes this.
  6. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

You at least need to hear this:

7. catboy

catboy The wrinkled retainer

Glad to hear it, the world needs more juju. Try Babylon, of any of the next four or five, its almost all great, especially if someones marked your doorstep with a half-wet rag :righton:

8. poppys

poppys Senior Member

[​IMG]

Desitively Bonnaroo
    is a 1974 album by the New Orleans rhythm and blues musician Dr. John. The album was produced by Allen Toussaint and features sizable musical support from The Meters. The album mines the territory featured on his previous album In The Right Place. This album spent eight weeks on the Billboard 200 charts, peaking at #105 on June 1, 1974.[3]

The Bonnaroo Music Festival was named after the album title, after the festival's founders looked through old albums for inspiration.[4] Bonnaroo is derived from French bonne /bɔn/, the feminine form of bon /bɔ̃/ meaning "good," and French rue /ry/ meaning "street," translating roughly to "the best on the streets." wiki

[​IMG]
    by MTO - Dryades St

bibijeebies, Dave513, Jonny W and 3 others like this.
  9. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

Ah yes...the Doctor a brillent and versatile artist (Rip) if you like his earlier releases check out his latter days output in a particular this one....it's take on Duke Ellington tunes putting his spin on them as only the Dr. could....

[​IMG]

10. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I think his later albums are even better.

Dr. John Plays Mac Rebennack, Vol. 1
    Trippn' Live
    Anutha Zone
    Duke Elegant
    N'Awlinz: Dis Dat or d'Udda

bibijeebies likes this.
  11. Whizz Kid

Whizz Kid Forum Resident

Coincidentally, I’m just discovering ‘Gris-Gris’ myself… found a German CD copy in a charity shop last week… and like you, I took a chance on it based solely on the positive reviews of it on the SH forums. Of course I knew the big ‘73 single and have a number of his appearances on other peoples’ records… but I was mostly unfamiliar with his work. Have to say, it really grabs you from the go… and takes you to strange places. I will be watching for more of his stuff in the bins.

Cool Chemist likes this.
  12. poppys

poppys Senior Member

What is Red Brick Dust and How Do You Use It? - CREOLE MOON
    [​IMG]
    Red Brick Dust is now available in 1.3 pound size!

Red Brick Dust in New Orleans Voodoo
    In New Orleans, the most commonly known use for red brick dust is its application in pulverized dust form to the front steps of the home as a means of keeping evil away. It is said that red bricks were taken from the Dumaine Street Brickyard—the earliest place in New Orleans in which Voodoo rituals occurred—and were used in rituals and floor washes. The last reference to the Dumaine Street Brickyard in print was in connection with Voodoo Queen Sanité Dédé in 1825. Since that time, red bricks remain plentiful and can be procured all over the city.

shadowcurtain likes this.
  13. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Add Creole Moon to that list. One of his funkiest albums ever.

Really, he never made a bad album. Okay, maybe one: Hollywood Be Thy Name.

bibijeebies and StarThrower62 like this.
  14. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I'd say for anyone who wants that swampy Naw'lins vibe, pick up Anutha Zone. I love all of the tunes on that one. But he doesn't play much piano on the album.

If you're craving that classic piano sound then pick up Trippin' Live, or the early 80s solo piano CDs. Trippin' Live has the best version of Such A Night that I've ever heard.

15. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

It's great, but I'd say this one beats it:

Chemically altered likes this.
  16. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Great LP. Heavy rotation here every All Hallow’s Eve.

17. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

18. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

fondly remembering the first time I heard the Doctor! he was fabulous...on the fringe....still a fan.

siebrand and Cool Chemist like this.
  20. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

This one captures the spookiness of GRIS GRIS:

You say somebody"s rippin" out your mind
    If you feel in your heart that you so inclined
    If you feel like you too strung out and too ashamed
    Don"t look at me, if you"re lookin" for somebody to blame

Bill Diercks, DTK, Jonny W and 3 others like this.
  21. maclen

maclen Senior Member

I’d add this cd to all the others as well. It was a stone gas every time I saw the good Doctor perform.

22. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I really love this album. One of my most played by Dr John

23. steelinYaThighs

steelinYaThighs "I'll be dancin' on Diamonds..."

[​IMG]

@Cool Chemist: That five-disc set You have is good, but the above is even better. It contains Mac's first seven albums from 68 to 74 and includes the hard-t0-find REMEDIES (70) which contains a wild, swampy jam called "Angola Anthem" on Side Two that's quite a ride.

- siyt

24. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Next stop… This!

25. paperhat

paperhat Scatterbrained musician

I honestly don't like much Dr. John (or New Orleans music to be honest) at all, but "I Walk on Guilded Splinters" is one of my favorite songs of all time.