Chad's Big Announcement - Atlantic 75th Series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Leonthepro, Sep 13, 2023.

1. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

If I Could Only Read the Back Cover

BNell, ucfjon, Joti Cover and 20 others like this.
  2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Does it come with some sort of decoder ring or special light to read that?

3. Warrel Dane

Warrel Dane Forum Resident

I have my dads original Deja vu...I highly doubt they will replicate that textured cover but we will see. Id say that would be a major task to replicate properly

rochacrimson and RandellG like this.
  4. Warrel Dane

Question: Has anyone seen or asked Chad if these Atlantic 75s will be doing any AC/DC? I personally think they should, but id assume it would cost to much. They would probably make them cut 5DBs down or something anyway. I believe it's known that there will NOT be any Zeppelin at this point. So, what about AC/DC?

willyumlouis and rochacrimson like this.
  5. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

AP replicated the Stand Up pop up book cover really well, so we know they can source the right people to craft something of that complexity.

Knowing how Chad is on a roll these days, I bet they do recreate Deja Vu!

6. RandellG

RandellG Forum Resident

@Warrel Dane , you are making me feel very old! :laugh:

7. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Chad responded in a video a while back about various artists not listed in the Atlantic 75 campaign and specifically mentioned AC/DC in the list. Here is what he said: "While these artists were on the Atlantic label when they came out Atlantic didn't own these titles, they licensed these titles. So these either reverted back to the original artist that own it or another label. So these aren't part of the Atlantic 75 series."

In the case of AC/DC, Sony Music Publishing is working alongside Alberts to handle their catalog and are promoting the 50th Anniversary campaign. Probably the best you are going to get from AC/DC, I do not foresee an audiophile label getting the opportunity to work on their catalog, nor do I see Sony performing audiophile remasters of their catalog in-house.

8. Warrel Dane

HAHA! Well I'm 54 (no spring chicken)...my dad is 79. but yeah we are all getting old! :(

9. Warrel Dane

DANG! OK thanks...I figured as much...such a shame!

10. teag

teag Forum Resident

True. And Classic records replicated the original Deja Vu cover on the 33rpm I have (and it sounds great).
    Most likely Classic did it on the 45rpm also, but I don't have that one so can't verify.

RandellG and chris8519 like this.
  11. RandellG

RandellG Forum Resident

The later reissues also had a faux leather texture, but they just weren't of the same quality as the OGs.

teag likes this.
  12. bmusic

bmusic Forum Resident

When was Led Zeppelin ruled out for sure?

The Black Cat likes this.
  13. The Black Cat

The Black Cat Furriest Demon

I do not believe that it is known with certainty one way or the other.

chris8519 likes this.
  14. Warrel Dane

^^^im going on what I thought I read about zeppelin. Good! hope they do.

15. DPM

DPM Senior Member

If Chad gets a shot at reissuing Led Zeppelin I think it’s safe to say they will be UHQRs.

16. The Black Cat

The Black Cat Furriest Demon

I hope you’re wrong.

There are still a few titles left to be announced in this series, so hopefully that’s where something from LZ might fit in.

MOON and Uglyversal like this.
  17. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I admire your optimism :)

18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I bought the AP 75th Anniversary Edition of Crosby Stills and Nash and compared it to the Classic Records 45 rpm version. The matrix information is identical. The only differences are that the Classic version is single-sided and Classic version is slightly heavier, but barely. The Classics tip the scales at just around 200g, while my AP records are close to 190g. They are very close. I only listened to a couple of tracks, comparing back and forth. I might have had moments, the beginning of "Long Time Gone" for example, where I thought that the Classic Records bass sounded better articulated in the sound field. But, it might be my imagination.

I have enjoyed the Classic 45 version of this album for many years. I would tell people that it sounds fantastic, just that much better than Bernie's 33 rpm cut. I would read Better Records say that it lacked a midrange. I would hear some people who said that Bernie's Classic cuts were inferior to his earlier work, or others that the 45 rpms sounded the same as the 33 rpm and anyone hearing a difference has "owner's bias" (and who wants to get up to change a record 4 times?). It's been hard to argue over the years because so few people owned the 45. Well, now, everyone can cue up "Helplessly Hoping" and hear those familiar harmonies come in, soaring over the acoustic guitar intro. And make their own decisions. For me, it's the reason I listen to records.

So, I'm happy that others get to hear this. Personally (and selfishly), I am hoping for more Classic cuts that never saw the light of day back in the 00's - Deja Vu is one; I cannot wait for that. But we know that Bernie cut Blue and Count & Spark at 45 rpm, and that Chris Bellman cut the entire Who catalogue plus a 10-LP Singles compilation. . . . . please?

19. RandellG

RandellG Forum Resident

Joni made an exclusive deal with MoFi for the big sellers from her catalogue, so afraid we will not get to hear Bernie's work for the foreseeable future.

20. Peter HG

Peter HG Forum Resident

Do you know the titles? Is Hissing included? Thanks

rochacrimson and RandellG like this.
  21. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Given that AC/DC has never allowed any audiophile label to reissue any of their albums since.... well, ever.... I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that Chad didn't announce any AC/DC titles because there are no AC/DC titles coming.

We've had this discussion many times over. AC/DC knows the fans want high-quality reissues (or ANY reissues, really) of their original Australian albums, with the original artwork and tracklistings, as none of them have been repressed in almost 40 years.
    And.... Instead we get the same crappy digitally-cut vinyl from 2003, but now in gold!
    AC/DC 50th Anniversary Vinyl Releases

ElevatorSkyMovie and Warrel Dane like this.
  22. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

If you think Chad is gonna sell audiophile Zeppelin titles for $60 apiece when he could stick the same pressings in an ugly box and sell them for $150 apiece.... You haven't been paying attention the last few years.

Alf Panek, JorgeGvb, DavidJ and 4 others like this.
  23. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

My personal list of never-released Classic cuts I want to see reissued:
    1) Tool - AEnima
    2) Tool - AEnima
    3) Tool - AEnima
    4) No, really. Tool - AEnima.
    5) everything else

24. brass_monkey

brass_monkey Forum Resident

I ordered the STP Core album last week after it popped back in stock and got a numbered copy, 1938.

25. RandellG

RandellG Forum Resident

Blue, of course, has already been released and I know both Court and Hejira are planned. I'll try to find an official list. I'm in for the jazzier titles myself!

Peter HG likes this.