Any 1CD or 2CD sets you own worth more than $100?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Apr 23, 2024.

1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Don't you remember their song 'Fade To Grey'?

2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Wow, Fade To Grey even gets played on local 80s Hour type radio shows alongside New Order and Soft Cell. This doesn’t sound familiar to those who say they haven’t heard them?

3. Indiana music fan

Indiana music fan Well-Known Member

Grateful Dead...Dave's Picks Volume One (still sealed)
    I think some of the other early Grateful Dead Dave's Picks (I own volume one thru fifty) are worth more than $100.

Jagger69 likes this.
  4. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Well this was the music lesson I learned today.

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the wall - mfsl

Jagger69 likes this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have a bunch...MFSL GOLD Simon and Garfunkel Bookends comes to mind.

Jagger69 likes this.
  7. MJConroy

MJConroy Senior Member

Nope. Don't recall ever hearing that before.

8. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

andrewskyDE and Jagger69 like this.
  9. JJAM

JJAM Forum Resident

This is one in my collection that comes to mind - an underrated Prince album to all extents and purposes which I bought at the NPG store in London back in 1993. Alas, this is the second version of the album with a track removed that had an interpolation of Wings "Let 'Em In" that wasn't cleared - but it's still averaged a sale price of $250 on Discogs over the last few years.

The New Power Generation - Gold Nigga

Jagger69 likes this.
  10. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

I believe there were around 3000 units pressed in total, although probably closer to 2500-2700. The initial batch was 1500 and it sold out fairly quickly, which was my label's first taste of semi-success. I then did several represses of 300 units each but did allow it to go out of print many months earlier than my contract expiration. This was because I was required to use Technicolor for the manufacturing and they repeatedly made a mess of just about every CD I was forced to use them for with the 'finished goods' deals these were licensed under. Because of Technicolor's incompetence, I also let two other Visage CDs, as well as one of my Berlin CDs and a Ric Ocasek CD, go out of print earlier than I needed to, in some cases nearly a full year. All of these are now going for over $100 or fairly close to. You can thank Technicolor for the scarcity.

cwitt1980, Thorpy, patient_ot and 2 others like this.
  11. Gnome de Plume

Gnome de Plume 12 HOT hits for a COOL penny!

That's where I start.

phillyal1 likes this.
  12. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Of course, The Supremes Hip-O set that I bought ("More Hits by The Supremes") is the one that's still only worth close to what I paid for it. This is why I have always avoided the stock market.

darling likes this.
  13. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I have the MFSL Blue Oyster Cult 2-fer CD of the first two albums in one package. I paid $100 for it a long time ago. Can’t imagine that going down in value.

14. George P

George P Notable Member

I gotta think that the real appreciation would come if you sold them and people listened to them.

15. Cimrya Deal

Cimrya Deal Forum Resident

According, my copy of the Foo Fighters debut album is worth 650€.... But I think it's bull****.

I've got a few valuable things but not in 1 or 2 cd.
    (but I'm surprised to read that my copy of the debut 'demo/EP/promo' from Tahiti 80 is worth 80€ nowadays. I got it for free!

Jagger69 likes this.
  16. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I can think of two that I bought new at standard prices, which later increased in value:
    Paul McCartney, Off the Ground - The Complete Works, with the original album on disc 1 and all the associated B-sides on disc 2.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and Keystudio by Yes, which compiled the studio tracks from the two Keys to Ascension albums, including a variant version of "Children of Light" that replaced the first verse with some keyboard chords.
    [​IMG]
    Discogs lists multiple copies of each for sale, and some copies of both list for over $100, so I think they count.

Then there's a CD for which I paid over $100 - the incredibly rare CD single for XTC's Wrapped in Grey. Its rare B-sides were later more widely released on the Steven Wilson Nonsuch expanded remix.
    [​IMG]

Jagger69 likes this.
  17. Blaahh

Blaahh Forum Resident

18. Jagger69

Jagger69 Forum Resident

19. Michael

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]all 3 over $100.00

Jagger69 likes this.
  20. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Jagger69 likes this.
  21. bkgMusic

bkgMusic Forum Resident

The first that comes to mind is Rod Stewart's Once in a Blue Moon: The Lost Album.

Edit: Just remembered my copy of Mike Doughty's Smofe + Smang: Live in Minneapolis.
    Also, my copy is signed. As he was signing it he said something along the lines of... "Oh, you got a hold of one of these huh?"

Last edited: Apr 28, 2024
  22. Michael

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    AND THE REST OF THE DOORS GOLD CDs

Jagger69 likes this.
  23. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

That 1984 Olympics CD is my holy grail. The cheapest price I’ve ever seen is $400. Copies only pop up on eBay every couple of years.

Jagger69 likes this.
  24. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

All the Gn'R MFSLs
    Billy Idol "Rebel Yell" AF
    Billy Joel GH MFSL
    Aerosmith Toys In The Attic SACD
    Def Leppard Hysteria MFSL

There are a bunch of others that, on Discogs, the high side is over $100 but the median is below so who is to say?

Jagger69 likes this.
  25. Mojo7575

Mojo7575 Forum Resident

Tom Petty: Superstar Concert Series 8/22/94