"Clair de Lune", please recommend a rendition...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sound chaser, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member Thread Starter

....I have a Jacques Rouvier piano solo version but I'm looking for a more 'orchestral' version of this astounding piece of music, hope I'm making sense here :) thanks.

2. canyelles

canyelles Forum Resident

I don't think there are too many orchestral versions.

There is one on a Naxos CD called something like 'Chill out with Debussy'

3. Dinsdale

Dinsdale Dixie Fried

I have an orchestral arrangement on a CBS Masterworks Dinner Classics CD comp, "The French Album"; I see it's still available on Amazon.

I'm no Classical expert, but this is some of my favorite music of all time.

4. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

5. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Try the Tomita version on Snowflakes Are Dancing. Yes, it's electronic, but it might just be the thing that you are looking for. It has a very 'orchestral' feel to it. You can still find the surround version also.

6. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Leopold Stokowski did what many believe to be the definitive version. He did it for EMI (vintage 50s sound) and DECCA (more upfront Phase 4 sound). I prefer the EMI myself, although both a sumptuous.

His arrangement has been recorded by conductors on both TELARC and CHANDOS labels, both audiophile quality. The TELARC disc has many other similar, beutiful pieces. The CHANDOS disc has other Stokowski arrangements, each with his brand of style. The Telarc is easier to find; the Chandos is worth searching for.

Hope this helps.

7. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

The version I love is THIS one. Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra do Clair de Lune. Very emotional and sounds great.

One note, I have Eric Kunzel doing it on Telarc and it sounds pretty empty and the recordiing lacks midrange. I was surprised how it left me unfulfilled.

8. sgb

sgb Senior Member

The Stokowski gets a perfect 10/10 from the cognoscenti...

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=6728

As for modern piano versions, the Zoltan Kocsis on Philips is to die for. Unfortunately it's out of print.

9. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Mantovani & His Orchestra did an AMAZING version for their "Concert Encores"Lp....You might want to get that Lp!:righton: Michael Boyce

10. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

The Classic Records reissue of the Living Stereo LP sounds terrific.

11. Decatur

Decatur New Member

I find it much more enjoyable when I'm playing it myself.

12. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

there's a new recording of Debussy orchestrations on the Atma Classique (www.atmaclassique.com) label with the Orchestre symphonique de Quebec led by Yoav Talmi. it was rated 10/10 (for sound/performance) by archivmusic.com and is on a dual layer disc with redbook/sacd/sacd surround content. i have it and can say that it is a great disc that brings together many of the great orchestrations of familiar Debussy piano pieces (including two different orchestrations of Clair de lune; the Stokowski and one by Andre Caplet). you can order it through Archivmusic but I picked it up at my local HMV here in Toronto.

13. GKH

GKH Senior Member

From The "Snowflakes Are Dancing" album by Tomita.

Very pretty!

14. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Victor Borge. Clear the room.

15. GKH

GKH Senior Member

I don't know if that song could sound anything but beautiful. :)

16. pencilchewer

pencilchewer Active Member

17. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

The classic records reissue of the RCA Living Stereo album is great and has extra tracks which the original RCA issue lacks. It was one of RCA's UK recorded sessions, conducted by Raymond Agoult, London Proms Orchestra. I don't know if this LP ever made it to CD. I think there have been licencing issues with the UK tapes over the years.

18. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

For collectors of old 78's, I would recommend Andre Kostelanetz' orchestral version on Columbia Masterworks (green label) 7361-M from 1940. It was so popular, that its shelf life carried on to within a few years of Columbia's adopting the 45 technology invented by RCA. Moreover, there was also an issue on its 7" 33-1/3 RPM format (as 3-518, in early 1950). On 45 RPM, there were two catalogue numbers - 4-7361-M (in 1951) and 4-4770 (in 1953). I have all but the 1953 45 issue.

19. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

The Living Stereo album was recorded by none other than Kenneth Wilkinson! I have the budget reissue of Decca from the 70s which has an incredible amount of bass extension. In this respect, the budget vinyl is the best version of this great sonic gem.

20. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Collectables came out with his first two Lp's he did with Columbia/Sony on CD: "Comedy In Music" & "Caught In The Act". You can find them here : www.oldies.com .:righton: Michael Boyce

21. Jay F

Jay F New Member

And this is performed by whom?

22. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Agoult.

23. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Thank you.

24. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Welcome.
    Please see post #17 and #19, too.

25. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

i like the version on Debussy for Daydreaming cd. There are also some other great orchestral renditions of Debussy classics on it. My favorite Debussy cd is definitely Paul Crossly Complete Works for Debussy Solo Piano Vol 4. A gorgeous cd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.