Zep remasters: 1993 or 2003?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BrianH, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

You can't believe everything you read from Amazon reviews. There's was a guy last year who wrote that the Physical Graffiti 2003 Japanese version is a new remaster and much better because it's louder. Someone started a thread about his comments on here. I actually saw his email address on Amazon, so sent him an email. He replied by saying we guys with analog equipment just don't know what we're talking about, that a friend of his does mastering for a living and has a "digital stereo." If you can hear these alleged 2003 remasters on said "digital stereo" then they sound much better! His reasoning in his Amazon review was that they're better because "they play a few notches higher on the volume control." Er, ok.

I've heard all the LZ CD releases except for the private promo set done in 2001 (not available publically). Barry's always sounded better to me than the Marino remasters. Some Mothership tracks when reduced by Replaygain to reasonable levels sound better than any other releases except the vinyl. To my ears, these tend to be everything but some of the oldest tracks (everything from LZII and Dazed and Confused). Barry's are close and better in some cases. In the others, it's a matter of taste. Barry doesn't use compression, so if you prefer that sound, seek out those. If you like a louder but clearer approach with compression that boosts the quieter parts and details but doesn't ruin the transients, go for Mothership. It matches Barry's for capturing the bright yet balanced tonality of the vinyl LPs.

2. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I just found a used copy of the 3-CD Remasters set (the third CD is interviews and radio spots) for about the price of a grande latte! I love this version of the (now venerable) Marino masterings. Not sure which I like better, sonically - this, or the Mothership; I'll have to do an a/b shootout.

I like the packaging of this one, though - the psychedelicised crop circles photos rule!

3. BrianH

BrianH Formerly healyb Thread Starter

I just got PG. The sound is more open then the Marino remasters.

I just have Presence left to get.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.