Your Favourite ELO Albums Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oatsy, Mar 20, 2024.

1. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I like them all. Consistent band, and there are many candidates for favourite, dependent on mood. The three that are currently getting the most regular plays are:

. Face The Music
    . Secret Messages
    . Balance Of Power

2. Oatsy

Oatsy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Secret Messages is an album i never knew. But i found a cheap CD and it sounded fab in the car! The title track is as good a hit as he made. And i always take a second look at Balance of Power every time i come across the used LP. I need to know it.

3. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

From 1975 to 1978 Jeff Lynn created his best music in my opinion. It is unfortunate that those albums sound very muffled and the drums sound is not great. Hopefully someone can remix it in the near future.

Retropsych and Darren Richardson like this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I’ve not heard the ELO album, but the ONJ tribute was very good.

Oatsy likes this.
  5. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

1. A New World Record
    2. Out Of The Blue
    3. Time

Retropsych likes this.
  6. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Balance Of Power is continues the trend of stripping down the sound so a lot of fans dismiss it as a de facto Jeff Lynne solo record. The songs are great though.

no.nine, mfcmad and BrokenArrows1968 like this.
  7. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

On The Third Day (1973)
    I bought it when it was released based on a review. In hindsight I now can tell that that wasn't a review, it was a PR piece. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the album. But didn't feel the need to buy more (and money was in very short supply so every record I got was an extremely considered decision). I didn't particularly like the direction they took when they were becoming commercially successful, but I don't begrudge a band's success and livelihood.

The cover artwork always annoyed me. Nothing special about the design, it's quite ordinary in fact. But rather than Jeff Lynne's face floating in the universe above the planet, it looks more like a photo of him placed on the album, because there is a very noticeably different black inside the square framing of the portrait compared to the pure black surrounding it. It's sloppy graphic design work, no excuse can be made for it.
    [​IMG]

8. EwaWoowa

EwaWoowa Sexiest Monkey Ever...

Also, no belly buttons!!!
    ...it's rubbish...

Darren Richardson, Comet01 and Oatsy like this.
  9. Oatsy

It was the end. And I notice by the credits they had dispensed w Kaminski who on the previous Secret Messages was still a fourth member.

carlwm likes this.
  10. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

That's right. It's a shame but I'm not sure Mik's style would have fit well with the slim-line sound, Jeff was obviously going for at that point.

11. Oatsy

This was the cover we knew over here. Belly buttons!
    [​IMG]

MGM and smilin ed like this.
  12. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

1. Out of the Blue
    2. No Answer/ELO
    3. A New World Record

the last 4 (listed here) are easily my least favorite.

carlwm likes this.
  13. Oatsy

Tandy was reduced to keyboards and programming by this point.

carlwm likes this.
  14. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

I'm pretty sure the US record company saw the UK cover photo and immediately thought, "No, we can't do that here, or the religious people will freak out." The image obviously casts Jeff as God creating the Earth on the third day (Genesis 1:9–13).

Allardyce and MGM like this.
  15. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

As technology advanced, Jeff needed less and less people around him. Bev was reduced, Richard was reduced in many ways to writing code blah blah blah on the now archaic Oberheim machines. And after BOP, if people will be honest about it, Richard didn't do a heck of a lot on any Lynne record.

16. Oatsy

Jeff ultimately preferred to be a one-man band. Heck, he even re-recorded their greatest hits all by his lonesome! So now whenever anybody hears the newer greatest hits they’re no longer hearing any of the old band. The lads. The band, man. The one that made their greatest records and played those great big shows. Taped over for the future. Erased.

EwaWoowa and lawrev like this.
  17. I did for the original LP

Oatsy and linklinc11 like this.
  18. Both are really good albums. They may be past the peak of the band but there’s loads of good music on them.

carlwm likes this.
  19. davidlg1971

davidlg1971 Forum Resident

1. Time
    2. Xanadu
    3.1. Discovery
    3.A. A New World Record

I love songs from every ELO album, and Jeff's solo LPs too. Originally I'd never heard On The Third Day, until the remastered CD came out - now it's in my top 10 for sure. Nowadays it seems the more influential music Jeff made is the electronically-tinged stuff - like Time and Xanadu.

In fact I'm a fan of the Aussie electronic group Cut Copy. Their brilliant second album 'In Ghost Colours' is highly influenced by ELO's Time. Just check out the first track, Feel The Love:

VH3FAN and Rob Zarzecki like this.
  20. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

My favourite is "Zoom" but it is not in the poll because by this time, it was a one-man band.

Tord, Geoffsterpiano and Oatsy like this.
  21. Oatsy

And it was long after the original run which is what i based the survey on. Those recent ELO solo Jeff albums are kinda outside the story in a way.

lawrev likes this.
  22. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

The Electric Light Orchestra (1971) - Not exactly chocked full of party bangers but has a quirky charm of it's own.
    Eldorado (1974) - This isn't chocked full of bangers either but is their most fully realised album for me, it all flows wonderfully well from start to finish.
    Out Of The Blue (1977) - Sorta chocked full of bangers, and I sometimes wish it was condensed to a single album as it would have been incredible, but nonetheless a terrific album.

I like them all from the debut album to Out Of The Blue (with the exception of the limited release which I haven't heard and know nothing about). ELO 2 is probably my least fave of those. Could easily have chosen On The Third Day or A New World Record instead of Out Of The Blue. Face The Music is great too but a little less successfully put together than Eldorado imo. Discovery has a couple of good tracks but overall isn't so much to my tastes and I tried a sampler of Time but the 80's production turned me right off. Have no idea what the other ones are like.

It was interesting to (in the past few days) listen to the albums in full again for the first time since the 70's. I was a young fan but being young meant that there was a lot of other music to discover and get into as the years rolled by. Great to hear them all again.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
    Allardyce likes this.
  23. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

1. On The Third Day
    2. Out of the Blue
    3. Eldorado

24. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

25. Oatsy

I really dislike 80s production. I actually abhor it in many instances. But i like the way Time sounds. It’s a great record. My favourite. And Secret Messages isn’t terrible either. Jeff Lynne sounding like Jeff Lynne outweighs any obvious 80s for me. He’s too good a producer to let the trends of the day ruin his work.
    Until Balance Of Power. But i really can’t say because i haven’t gone there yet.

Retropsych likes this.