Your Favourite ELO Albums Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oatsy, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Oatsy

Oatsy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Now that Jeff has fired up the old ELO spaceship for a final ELOVegas tour (with nary a former band member to be seen - not even Tandy) the eve of this i thought i’d poll fans to see what our fave Electric Light Orchestra are.

Pick your fave three. I’ve kept the choices to albums released while they were still on their initial run. Zoom and whatever else our Jeff has recorded under the ELO moniker in later years and any archival stuff and anything Jeff Lynne can be discussed here of course!

This is my fave ELO album:
    [​IMG]

wolfram, Yost, Retropsych and 15 others like this.
  2. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I picked:
    New World Record
    Discovery

Those are the 3 I played the most.
    Night The Lights Went On In Long Beach would have been my fourth pick if we weren't limited to 3...

3. Mark R. Y.

Mark R. Y. Getting deep down

1. Out of the Blue
    2. Time
    3. A New World Record

ELO II and Discovery would round out my top 5 - but, really, I love 'em all.

4. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Bronze: ELO II
    Silver: Out Of the Blue
    Gold: A New World Record, an all time super elite Masterpiece!

bill44, Retropsych, Spinone and 2 others like this.
  5. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

The first three, in that order -- 1, 2, 3 -- when the actual band was still a full Electric Light Orchestra.

6. ~"A New World Record"
    ~"Out Of The Blue"
    ~"Face The Music"

Most Honorable Mention:
    "Discovery"
    "Time"

Honorable Mention:
    "Electric Light Orchestra 2"
    "El Dorado"

7. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

The debut album for its unique blend of popular and classical concepts and instrumentation. And for Roy Wood. I love Roy's "Look at Me Now" and "Whisper in the Night". Jeff's "10538 Overture" and "Mr. Radio" are cool too. I also like the pun in the cover art: the name "Electric Light Orchestra" was originally a play on "Midlands Light Orchestra", so it meant "a light orchestra that is electric", not "an orchestra of electric lights", but the light bulb on the cover suggests otherwise.

Out of the Blue for being one of the few rock double studio albums of the '70s that I can listen to all the way through without ever feeling like it's going on too long. When it finishes, I think, "It's over already?" Truly one of the masterpieces of '70s rock.

Discovery for being the album that got me into ELO, though I have to admit that A New World Record and Face the Music are stronger overall.

Btw, ELO fans should check out Juliana Hatfield's most recent album, Juliana Hatfield Sings ELO. Ten great ELO songs done in a somewhat different style that's less ornate but still respectful of the original arrangements. It's one of my favorite new albums of 2023.

8. Oatsy

Oatsy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’m looking forward to it! I absolutely Loved her Olivia Newton-John album.

StingRay5 likes this.
  9. Voom

Voom Forum Resident

This is an answer from outside the box, but mine would be 'Message From The Country' by The Move - you've got Jeff Lynne, Roy Wood and Bev Bevan - they recorded the album during the sessions for what would become the debut ELO album, and it's such a great record!

10. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

On the Third Day
    Out of the Blue
    Secret Messages

11. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

Time is their best. Its campy sci-fi themes and concept appeal. Its a cult classic, they say. Yeah, Ive always dug it since a kid. I dont spin it often but when I do, its an event, a performance.

Retropsych, pwhytey, RickH and 4 others like this.
  12. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Tough one. But I went with

Out Of The Blue (still the benchmark for a really, really well constructed and designed double album. Even stuff like “Birmingham Blues” - which is far from a Top 20 ELO song - makes perfect sense in the context of the whole concept)

Time (Lynne really has a way of using - then - contemporary technology in an interesting never embarrassing way. Probably misunderstood back in the day but I think it definitely had a certain impact on younger bands from around 2007/8)

Balance Of Power (don’t ask, I know. I’ve just always liked it…. :hide:)

13. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Eldorado will always be my favourite. Saw them live when they were touring this and their earlier material. A stunningly expressive set, far more physical than I thought they’d be. Never forgotten that gig.

Next up, A New World Record and third choice, their debut.
    I don’t really need any other ELO. (I have 6 more but rarely play them. Find them patchy/inconsistent.)

14. Lostchord

Lostchord Dr. Livingstone, I presume

1, Out of the Blue
    2. A New World Record
    3. The Electric Light Orchestra

(4. Secret Messages)

15. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

Out Of The Blue
    Discovery
    Time

wolfram and Chew like this.
  16. EwaWoowa

EwaWoowa Sexiest Monkey Ever...

It was very tricky to leave "New World Record" off my 3, but then it is 4th (and "Discovery" is 5th), but...:

1. Time (hmm, I always thought that this way the "ELO fans" favourite?!)

2. Out Of The Blue (I mean, 4 sides and only one "filler" song*** on the very last side?! Wow!)

3. Face The Music (Dawg, I love side 1 of this, it's brilliant!)

*** when we get bored, we can have an arguement about which song is the "filler" on side 4.... here's a hint: it isn't "The Whale"...

mfcmad likes this.
  17. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Eldorado
    Time
    Secret Messages

In particular Time holds up amazingly well for this day and age. I often experience it being an introductory record to ELO. Secret Messages is slowly creeping in on it as being one as well. I have sold these two records to youngsters quite a few time who had little idea of ELO or did not know them at all. The production, catchiness and overall theme is something that prove to be still relevant. The string section heaviness of the 1970's is also alluring to some, but my personal preference is mainly the 1981-86 era though I love all their albums. Eldorado is another one which due to its concept and overall sound is one of my very favourites.

Comet01 and RickH like this.
  18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

1. A New World Record
    2. Eldorado
    3. Out of the Blue

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  19. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

1. A New World Record
    2. Eldorado
    3. Out of the Blue

But Face The Music and Secret Messages may duke it out for third place on any given day.

20. Fred1

Fred1 Stuck in the past with one eye to the future!

I LOVE them all but here we go.

01. Out Of The Blue
    02. Discovery
    03. Balance Of Power

Darren Richardson likes this.
  21. RickenBackerSurfer

RickenBackerSurfer Forum Resident

"A New World Record"
    "Out Of The Blue"
    "Face The Music"

Honorable Mention:
    "Eldorado"
    "Discovery"

22. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Eldorado and a New World Record and maybe ELO 1 - don't mind the other earlier ones, though Down Home Town on Face the Music (an otherwise good LP) is ridiculous and better left to Warren Zevon. Played Out of the Blue the other night and it might have made a good single album, but I find a lot of it quite 'empty.' Discovery has some bearable tracks but really don't like the later ones with the exception of Zoom (and Armchair Theatre)

Spinone likes this.
  23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Tough call, but today I went with:

Time
    Out of the Blue
    Face the Music

Most overrated:
    Eldorado (Take away the pseudo-concept and classical flourishes that serves as transitions between the songs, and it's a decent bunch of songs, but not as good a bunch of songs as others from that period).

mfcmad, RickH, SRC and 1 other person like this.
  24. Jason Michael

Jason Michael Senior Member

My first instinct was to choose

Face the Music
    A New World Record
    Out of the Blue

as they were the first ELO albums I heard and cemented my fandom.
    But then I thought about which albums II have played the most over the years, and still return to more recently, and realized that my favourites were:

1. Out of the Blue
    2. Discovery
    3. Xanadu o.s.t. (Just edging out Time)

25. Zerox

Zerox Forum Resident

'Eldorado', 'A New World Record' and 'Discovery'.

'Eldorado' is ambitious and an 'artistic statement', with the title track and 'Can't Get It Out Of My Head' being two of my favourite ELO songs.

'A New World Record' is like Jeff upped his songwriting to the power of ten; each song is a standout.

'Discovery' - pop hooks galore. If you're going to do something overtly, unashamedly commercial, you've got to pull it off and this absolutely does. 'Last Train To London' is like it's drawn from the well of classic choruses! 'Confusion' is hook-central! If 'Eldorado' is the substantial main course, this is the dessert overload!

Retropsych and Michael Macrone like this.