Your favorite Pink FLoyd - The Wall mastering "family"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjstauber, Jul 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Mindboggling because no one has yet 'fessed up to voting for it:confused:

pinkchris1967 likes this.
  2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Probably afraid to get flamed...

I've never heard the MFSL, but, judging by the various reviews, I don't need to try and get one :)

3. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

This means you guys :agree:

andyinstal, bugmenot, CellPhoneFred, clooby, GLUDFSSR, harri, john lennonist, JohnBeas, john_frogg, Joseph, JP Les Paul, Keim, kevin5brown, Koptapad, maidenpriest, ratskrad, Robert Haagsma, seek up, smc2541, Spyro, Steve, tarantura, TimB, Tyler, ubsman, vconsumer, wayneklein, yaratnam 28

No one will get flamed-this poll is all about your favourite version, so as The MFSL is doing so well, why not tell everyone why it is your preferred version. There is no right or wrong answer to this poll:help:

pinkchris1967 likes this.
  4. kraekker

kraekker German Music Physicist & Dadaismus Aficionado

I can imagine that it's indeed like that - BUT with one important downside: By contrast to eBay you've to be really to check the Forum-Marketplace on a regular basis to be there "on time" if a highly-sought item like BT DSOTM Non-TO or something similiar is being offered. Otherwise you don't have any chance to get it, do you? And that's quite difficult to do for me, even if I'm online during most of my office-times... :(

5. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I like the Harvest over the Mobile Fidelity.

6. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

MFSL

7. AerosSaga

AerosSaga Forum Resident

The C2K are far superior to the MFSL's IMO. Borrowing a copy of UK Harvest to compare before voting though.

8. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

I think the MFSL is a great mastering, just different than the Harvest family of CD's that I voted for. It's my tie for 2nd fave with the CBS versions.:agree:

9. chargrove

chargrove Forum Resident

I am in agreement with the 48DP crowd of voters. As someone mentioned, it does seem to come from the same master as the C2K, but IMHO has noticeable differences...all of them good.

10. chargrove

chargrove Forum Resident

Does anyone know if the 50DP and 48DP use identical mastering? :confused:

11. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

Obviously, it's been a long time since I've heard a side-by-side comparison of the two versions I have; MFSL and Columbia C2K36183. I extracted Young Lust and Hey You using Plexitools Pro Digital Audio Extraction. Pasted all 4 into Sonar 6 PE. Using a RME Fireface 800 for the DAC into Mackie HR824 monitors I compared the two versions of the two songs.

I withdraw my vote for MFSL. The Columbia sounded a lot better. It was clearer, more crystalline and more powerful. (I adjusted the MFSL up 1 dB to match levels.) The MFSL was muddier and more distant. I did not hear the scooped mids people complain about with the MFSL, just mud and less highs. Thanks to dbz for opening my eyes, ears?

12. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Koptapad-thanks for posting your results. My apologies to everyone on the MFSL voters list, I didn't want this to seem contentious. Just very interested in what you guys hear and what you have compared it to. Roland could yet end up with a 3-way tie:agree:

13. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Love the early Harvest mastering the best but I also like the MFSL.

The digital click in the Columbia really ticks me off :)

14. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

50DP.

15. ricks

ricks Senior Member

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=2468529&postcount=238

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=2469765&postcount=255

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=2492292&postcount=278

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=2507513&postcount=302

It appears to be a different mastering if I'm interpreting Dave's posts correctly?
    Seems like the slight advantage of the 50DP over the 48DP is discernible only on very revealing equipment. So for those of us with a less expensive rig the 48DP is probably the Columbia to get.

Rick

16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Do all the CBS discs have this clicking? Where in the song is it? I'm awaiting a 48DP.

17. ricks

ricks Senior Member

it is at the beginning of Comfortably Numb and on the 48DP you really have to be listening carefully to hear it. To me it's barely noticable even when listening for it, and doesn't bother me in the least.

18. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Roland are you able to change Koptapad's vote? or does a gort have to?

Rick

19. adhoc

adhoc Gentlemen Prefer Stereo

Comparison of the UK silverface Harvest and the MFSL

UK Silverface Harvest
    [​IMG]

MFSL
    [​IMG]

These are EQ analyses of the entire albums.

Note the ridiculous U-shaped EQ curve on the MFSL - try to ignore the space under the graph (the UK is mastered much louder), and just compare the ratio of the contours at the top.

Pump up the bass to give "oomph", and pump up the treble to give "sparkle" - sure, it sounds great in the short term, but not so in the long run, where it grows fatiguing. They seem to have tried to compensated for this by lowering the volume quite a bit. I own both so I speak from experience, not speculation.

IIRC, there was a post once that said that the UK silverface was essentially just a louder version of the Japanese blackface.

proedros likes this.
  20. rjstauber

rjstauber Senior Member Thread Starter

No, I can't do that. A gort probably could, but I am not sure.

21. rjstauber

rjstauber Senior Member Thread Starter

Rick, I am pretty sure Dave's comments were referring to the 50DP pressing quality being slightly superior to the 48DP, and not to the mastering (digital content) itself. As far as I know, they have the same mastering, but often there are minor differences between digitally identical CD's due to the manufacturing equipment and process used at the plant.

To many people and on many stereos these differences are not noticeable.

22. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Roland,
    After re-reading Dave's posts, again :) You are correct. Not sure if my system would reveal any differences? I'll stick with the 48DP since I'm probably done listening to this album for another few years.

As you ststed in another thread it's great to have so many great pressings of this album. Whish every disc had this many choices. Although I don't understand why the MFSL and it's smiley EQ is so popular :shrug:.

Rick

23. Diverse

Diverse Forum Resident

Is this difference instrinsic within the content of cds? As in, if you ripped the cd to wav using Exact Audio Copy would there still be any difference (however subtle) for 48dp compared to the 50?

24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I have the 50DP and the MFSL, and prefer the 50DP slightly. However, I think that the MFSL is such a beautiful package, that I don't see how any Floyd fan could part with it.

25. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member

I repeatedly read about that click before Comfortably Numb on the old mastering. What was bothering me much more was the click shortly before the helicopter arrives. Is this the same master? I remember my first made in Japan CD, and that click before the helicopter drove me nuts. It disappeared with the MoFi (which I don't have anymore). My 1994 remaster is also clean, but since it's from an early batch coming from Holland, I have no idea if I actually have a remaster or not (matrix says 831244 @ 1 1-2-15-NL and 831245 @ 1 1-4-3-NL; and yes, I like how it sounds). Any enlightenment?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.