Your Favorite MONO mix vs. Stereo

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JasonK, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tages

tages Senior Member

Thanks for the info!

2. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

No..sorry. My post wasn't very clear. I meant RS.

:righton:

3. Sergeant Pepper

Sergeant Pepper Forum Resident

Does anyone have any info on the UK CBS 1969 mono vinyl edition of Spirit's "The Family that plays together"?
    It would be great if anyone knows the difference to the known stereo version of this classic. Thanks a lot in advance!

4. Bobbo

Bobbo Well-Known Member

Anything Beatles.
    "Surrealistic Pillow".
    "Piper At The Gates Of Dawn".
    The Grateful Dead 1st s.t.
    "Whipped Cream & Other Delights".

5. catnip nation

catnip nation Forum Resident

The Turtle Soup LP in mono is the way to go. Along with Disraeli Gears by Cream.Village Green by the Kinks is another that comes to mind.

6. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Buckinghams "Kind of a Drag" is one of the biggies.

7. Joefarrell

Joefarrell Forum Resident

I really like the mono mixes and just the overall presence of late 50' s and early 60's Atlantic jazz mono LP's. For example David Newman's 1st LP Fathead sounds DEEP in mono but in stereo the separation is a bit too pronounced and some of the presence of sax and bass lost. The stereo ain't bad but mono rules. Likewise Art Farmer / Jim Hall Interaction sounds great in mono. The trick however is actually finding good condition but still reasonably priced mono's . My mono's are just VG. I did just find what looks to be a real nice 6 eye mono JJ Johnson Blue Trombone for $10. I have not played that yet but it likely will be awesome. A mono Coltrane Giant Steps would be nice as well to find.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.