Your 5 favorite Grateful Dead Europe '72 shows

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by four sticks, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taylor16

Taylor16 Forum Resident

Listening to the the Newcastle 4/11/72 show. The Other One really reaches the creative and atonic depths that I’ve never heard before in that song. Any other recs for Dark Star-like “out there” jams outside of Dark Star? Great show by the way... the 2nd half is just pure fire (especially considering the reputation of the frigid Newcastle crowd that night!). In all truthfulness, the 2nd set of 4/11/72 has to be in the top 5 of E72. Absolute perfection.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  2. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I don't know that it's top 5 for me, but repeated listenings have really bumped Newcastle up in my estimation.

3. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

:tsk:

4. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Never anger a Geordie or else...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SJR likes this.
  5. Taylor16

Taylor16 Forum Resident

Was very fortunate to be able to acquire the E72 box set a while back and am going through the tour night by night listening to the main “jam” sequence/CD of each show... have listened to each show at least 2-3 times in full. As of now, and with some shows to re-acquaint myself with, I humbly present to you my top-5 choices of the tour. That being said, there were 12-14 shows that I considered for one reason or another to include in the top 10.

4/8 Wembley Empire Pool, London, England

4/11/72 Newcastle City Hall, Newcastle upon Tyne, England

4/16 Stakladen, Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark

5/11 Grote Zaal De Doelen, Rotterdam, Netherlands

5/26 Lyceum Theatre, London, England

6. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Bob is the one who said that Newcastle was "the coldest, stiffest audience I've ever played for...nobody seemed to be at all interested in what we were doing." But, I think he was talking about the 5/24/70 Hollywood Festival at Newcastle-Under-Lyme, not the 4/11/72 Newcastle City Hall audience, if that makes any difference. (It should, since apparently there is almost 200 miles of road between them.) On the recording, the Newcastle City Hall crowd seems to enjoy the Dead just fine.

Grateful Dead Sources: May 24, 1970: Hollywood Festival, England

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    adamos, budwhite, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  7. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

A simple mis-remembering on Bobby’s part ;)
    I very much doubt the Newcastle crowd couldn’t/wouldn’t get into it as they’re well-known and renowned for being party people.

8. Taylor16

Taylor16 Forum Resident

Is there a more “psychedelic” 60 min from Europe 72 than 5/3/72’s Truckin > TOO > McGee > TOO > Wharf Rat??

bzfgt likes this.
  9. notesofachord

Dark Star>The Other One from Bickershaw, perhaps.

Or the second set meat from 5/26/72 Lyceum London.

SJR, Taylor16 and bzfgt like this.
  10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The Truckin'->Other One sequence from 5/10/72 probably rivals it.

notesofachord likes this.
  11. Taylor16

Taylor16 Forum Resident

Amazing really as the 3rd disc of this show (Truckin>Drums>TOO>Bobby McGee>TOO>Wharf Ray) is one of the top 5 second set “sequences” of the tour. Perhaps it’s overshadowed by the Dark Star of the next night but this really is a “better show” even though I’ve been biased to 5/11 in the past. Case in point, this “the other one” is just FANTASTIC and is one of top-3 favorite jams of the tour.

12. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I like Rotterdam and a few others more than Amsterdam, but Amsterdam is a damn fine show. I voted for both back in the day (and only chose 4), but these days - after 3+ times through the whole box versus 1 when I voted - I would put Amsterdam in the top 10, but probably in the 6-8 range. But being in that range on a tour of that level still makes it one of the all-time great shows.

13. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Personally, I had to wait until I was retired.

bzfgt likes this.
  14. Mr. Heartbreak

Mr. Heartbreak Deep in the heart of darkest America

April 16, Stakladen, Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark - Everyone deserves to hear a Donna-free E72 show.

May 3 – L'Olympia Theatre, Paris, France - The Other One through Wharf Rat sequence is unreal, but the China > Rider is my all time favorite.

May 7 – Bickershaw Festival, Wigan, England - One of the best shows of the best Dead tour ever.

May 11 – Grote Zaal De Doelen, Rotterdam, Netherlands - A personal favorite since I got a tape of it in the 80s.

May 25 – Lyceum Theatre, London, England
    Are you a Jerry guy or a Bobby guy?
    I’m a Jerry guy. And behold:
    Uncle John's Band > Wharf Rat > Dark Star > Sugar Magnolia > Comes A Time

15. notesofachord

I love the fact that now, nearly ten years in this thread’s existence, every show on the tour has at least twenty votes (9% of the vote). Yes, even Beat Club.

That is awesome!

16. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Bobby never should have played Thro...I mean Sugar Mag, SMH

17. Mudshark

Mudshark Forum Resident

:laughup: Top-five post, for sure! Thanks for the laugh! :laughup:

18. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Another vote for Apr 16th. This is my very first official live GD release that I bought years ago and one of the few that I keep coming back despite having a large list of shows to listen to in the pipeline (several Dave Picks and box sets).

I think the historical context of the show (the band playing at the Aarhus University cafeteria with the audience very close to the band) makes it an interesting listening. A tight and intimate show.

Although I’m sure each show of that tour had a great story behind.

19. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member Thread Starter

1) May 26th 114 votes
    2) April 26th 97 votes
    3) April 8th 68 votes
    4) May 11th 60 votes
    5) tie: May 3rd and May 7th 59 votes

20. Mr_Flanders

Mr_Flanders Forum Resident

I’ve only heard a handful of these, but I feel the same way about Aarhus. The show sounds very warm and cozy. And I really like that jam coming out of Truckin’.

adamos, trumpet sounds and Ivand like this.
  21. Taylor16

Taylor16 Forum Resident

Someone mentioned previously that the top shows really changes based on what one's been listening to lately... Couldn't be more true. So grateful for somehow having the incredible luck to find the Trunk available at a reasonable price. All these shows are important and wonderful and life-altering. Listening to the 2nd set of 5/23/72 and I'm literally in tears listening to Jerry's vocals in Morning Dew... So much gold in these shows.

22. Grateful Griller

Grateful Griller Forum Resident

100% agree that E72 are gold. I've picked up about half individually but have given up hope of buying whole set. 5/23 is one of the last ones I picked up and honestly I think I prefer it to 5/26. This is going of memory so can't really put my finger on it but there...I said it.

JimSmiley, Crispy Rob and Ray29 like this.
  23. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I passed on the Trunk when it was released, but I picked up the "just the music " box later that year. It is a gift that keeps on giving.

24. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

reported

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.