Yet another Kind of Blue release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Halloween_Jack, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreenFuz

GreenFuz Senior Member

I agree, and I too am feeling impatient.

2. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Because there's a good chance that a CD made with a well-done needledrop from a clean LP would be the best-sounding CD available.

3. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

But that isn't the way it went for a lot of PD releases I've heard thus far.

4. JQW

JQW Forum Resident

I've heard a few that sound great, in particular some from one label which puts four old albums onto a double CD set. I've also heard some really dreadful ones as well. I may be picking up a couple of more this week - the problem is that you can now find three or four different versions of the same album on the racks now, all from different labels, so selecting the best is a bit hit and miss.

Composers' royalties still get paid on these issues by the way, as the copyright on those is handled differently here. Eventually it looks like the EU will change the copyright expiry time to something longer, but it may take a few years for the legislation to be worked out and enacted.

5. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Pristine Audio five minute sample [224 kps stereo] of So What.

From rcmr newsgroup:

From Pristine Audio web site:

6. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

does it still peak distort like every other issue?

7. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

We will see. Call me a skeptic, but I am not buying it.

8. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Forum Resident

Yeah, it's just like film grain for a movie. People seem to want it filtered out, but it's part of the film.

9. I believe the original mono master tape is lost. Any mono reissue would have to be a remix.

10. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I prefer the sound of the Sony/Legacy CD over this NR'd deal and this is the stereo mix, I'd only buy a PD disc of Kind of Blue for cheap if they use a mono LP.

11. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Because it drives me absolutely bat**** and is HIGHLY distracting. I simply HATE tape hiss. I cannot "listen through it to the music" or whatever. I'm also sensitive to wow/flutter.

Everyone has different ears/brains, so your results may vary...be glad it doesn't bother you in particular. I knew a girl with perfect pitch who therefore couldn't listen to many commercial recordings-what a pain!

16Bit likes this.
  12. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

As for "yet another release":

1) Read Arthur C. Clarke's "The Nine Billion Names Of God"

2) Substitute "Releases of Kind Of Blue" for "Names Of God"

13. I've been blessed with hearing so bad that I can't HEAR any tape hiss when I play Kind of Blue on SACD.

14. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Rose is the Dr. Ebbetts of jazz ;)

In Europe, anyone can now make and distribute his own "remaster" of Kind of Blue.

15. Claus

Claus Senior Member

"Some minor tape drop-outs, audible from time to time in the cymbals of So What, have been cured. I've also worked hard to reduce tape hiss without compromising the fabulously open sound of the recording."

A No Go for me. I'm happy with the SACD.

16. larry333

larry333 Forum Resident

I hope someone gets this version and puts it up on demonoid or something...

larry

17. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Not when the currently available disc is as good as it is.

18. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

The current disc is indeed great, and my favorite of all I've heard (my vinyl is good, but not that good).

That said, I found the streamed sample intriguing. The processing done hasn't destroyed the music as far as I can hear.. in fact, the sound is very tuneful.

I'd file this attempt with Robert Parker's Jazz Classics in Stereo series; interesting.

19. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

I don't like the fact that this guy is profiting off of this. But I'm not losing sleep over it or anything. I listened to the 5 minute So What sample and was not impressed, but that low quality sample is no basis for critical evaluation.

I do not really like any of the recent CD remasters, including the 50th Anniversary edition, or the one in the new "Complete" boxset. As someone else mentioned here, there is clipping in places, you can easily see it in the waveform, but more importantly I can hear it. Sounds harsh in places.
    I recently did my own needledrop from an original white label promo mono pressing. No EQ, NR, or any other futzing. Just some manual click removal. Since it's now public domain, if anyone wants a copy, for free, send me a PM. :) (the download will come from a European server, if anyone cares.)

20. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Just stumbled on the site of "Pristine site and cd and found the reactions"here (on the whole ;)) strikingly negative. Has someone a) actually heard this version and b) care to comment on this? I'm quite intrigued!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.