Yes - Close to the Edge - original George Piros U.S. vinyl master...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paul K, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Lan

Robert Lan Forum Resident

I have one. Sounds great indeed. :) I also have a UK -1/-1. Can't decide which one sounds better. I can upload samples of each if you're interested. Let me know.

Robert

2. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I have the 1841 Broadway originals of The Yes Album and Close to the Edge and I think they smoke. It all depends on your speakers and system. On my system they sound awesome, unlike a lot of releases from about that time that suck.

To each his own.

3. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

A bit off-topic for a second, but do we know for a fact that RL used the absolute original master for LZII? I've seen lots of talk about the RL pressings, but I've never read anything other than speculation that it must be the master because it sounded so good. After discussions on here about the Ice Magazine rumor of the LZII master being lost or destroyed, I posted on the FBO Zeppelin list, which has some contributors who know a lot about LZ and even some with connections to the band. The answer I got there was that Jimmy Page has the original master and does not let that out of his sight. As someone pointed out in another thread, the LZII master tapes pictured on the Classic Records web site, looked to be in mid-80's vintage Ampex tape boxes.

Anyway, back to CTTE, it was an album I never really listened to until I picked up a Japanese pressing at a Montreal record show a couple of years ago. I'd read that it wasn't that well recorded so I assumed the version I had was good, but then I found a cheap 70's Canadian pressing in a used record store and decided to try it. While it's still no audiophile marvel, it sounds a lot better than the Japanese pressing, which seems to suffer from a "glassy" boost in the midrange. I'm not home right now so I can't check the matrix numbers.

4. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

5. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

I'd love to hear samples from both. :thumbsup:

6. Robert Lan

I uploaded 96/24 .aiff excerpts of both. Roughly 100MB each.

The UK excerpt is here.

The US excerpt is there.

Enjoy.

Robert

7. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member Thread Starter

100 MB is really large...I am on a really fast connection here at work...and I mean fast...and it will take approx 20 minutes to download...perhaps a shorter excerpt and also maybe it can just be 16Bit 44.1 KHz please...

8. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

There are three different versions from Japan and all suffer the same problems. Not to say they are all of the same quality but it does seem that the folks in Japan were sent a defective tape and that tape has been used on all three LPs. Take a quick listen to the opening of And you and I. The acoustic guitar is out of phase. How'd that happen? I have found these sort of wierd messed up artifacts all over all the Japanese CTTE LPs. In my book that automatically disqualifies them. They're fundamentally messed up.

9. Dave W S

Dave W S New Member

I 2nd that motion. 16/44.1 is fine for these comparisons.

10. Robert Lan

OK, here are smaller files.

UK is here.

US is there.

11. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Yes, I believe the Japan CTTE Lp's came from bad tapes.

12. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

i hear good things about Piros pressings. they aren't good?
    i have a half speed and, although it is bass heavy, the bass rocks

13. Robert Lan

OK, let's do this again !

Here are 1 minute .wav clips of the UK -1/-1 and the US Piros cutting.

The US Piros is here.

The UK -1/-1 is there.

Robert

14. Dave W S

Dave W S New Member

Thanks. I kind of prefer the UK's flatter sound on these clips, but it's almost too flat.

15. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Mine is the P-6526A pressing and it definitely has issues, including the phase problem at the beginning of And You and I. Since CTTE was an album I never listened to until I bought the Japanese version a couple of years ago, I didn't know the phase problem wasn't intentional until I picked up my Canadian version, which is from the late '70's Atlantic 19000 reissues (in this case KSD-19133).

16. stavx79

stavx79 Forum Resident

I have many US Atlantic LPs that have AT GP on the deadwax and others what seems to be @T GP. Is that the same guy,George Piros?
    No complaints from any of them,love the sound.

17. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I forgot about this thread. Just thought I'd mention that I found a Canadian pressing of CTTE that also has AT GP in the deadwax and it sounds tremendous. I also recently found a GP copy of The Yes Album with a similar sound - very forward midrange that enhances the guitar and vocals and boosts the ambience to the point where you'd almost think compression or reverb was added.

18. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

Hi stavx79,

That's George.

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

19. stavx79

stavx79 Forum Resident

Hey,thanks a lot Barry!:righton:
    BTW and FYI the Atlantics that I am referring to, are:
    Roxy Music - Stranded
    Roxy Music - For your Pleasure
    King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black
    King Crimson -Red

20. Jeff Carney

I just got a later German issue of CttE with "PF" in the deadwax. It is arguably the best cut I've ever heard. The distortion duging the church organ bit is probably less than any copy I've owned. It's nice and midrangey without being top end boosted. I'd like to get a UK 1st for comparison but for now this thing just shines. Right there with Barry's CD, IMO.

I wonder if the "PF" means it was cut at Pathe Freres in France?

My guess is that this is a late 70s or early 80s cut.

21. stavx79

stavx79 Forum Resident

I have quite a few German LPs on the Brain label,such as Klaus Schulze,Neu!,Guru Guru,etc. and they all have 'PF' on the deadwax,if that's any help.
    Maybe the same person??
    But,the above bands are all german and it's a German label,so my guess would be that it couldn't be a French mastering...

22. stavx79

stavx79 Forum Resident

I just digged another one out by George Piros: Art Ensemble of Chicago-Fanfare for the Warriors.

23. Jeff Carney

I have Brain LPs as well. I'll have to check to see if it's the same initials. If so, that's good by me, as I think Brain LPs were typically fantastic cuts.

24. MylesAstor

MylesAstor New Member

I just picked up the GP mastered The Yes Album. It blows the Rhino reissue out of the water. The Rhino sounded like a bad digital transfer and I'd say the GP cut proves it. Listen to the drum on the opening of the second side; on the Rhino it sounds like a one note bass; not so on the original.

The best GP, non-Mercury, mastering job that I've heard is Roshamon on Carlton Records. One of the best sounding records ever made.

25. stavx79

stavx79 Forum Resident

Oh,yes!:righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.