Yes - Close to the Edge - original George Piros U.S. vinyl master...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paul K, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

i just recently bought an original 1841 b'way pressing of CTTE to go along with the 75 rock pressing i got some time ago; both have AT/GP in the deadwax. i've yet to compare the two, but i was impressed with the sound the b'way pressing. i'll report back in due time.

later, chris

2. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I have done extensive compaisons between the original Piros, the original UK, a later UK, all three Japanese pressings, and the Mofi. The Piros is indeed too bright but it is soooo superior in every other way that I simply change the loading on my cartrdge and enjoy. It is frustrating that such an otherwise superior mastering would have the one glaring flaw. Pun intended.

3. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member Thread Starter

Change the loading on your cart? How? Help me out here!!!

4. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

I think that Scott changes to a lower cartridge load when playing back this particular LP because it helps to tame the brightness of the LP. He, like many others on this forum, including myself, have preamps that allow for cartridge loading. In my experience, the lower the cartridge load, the less bright the sound is.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

5. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member Thread Starter

Well....I unfortunately don't have this option...I just want a great sounding analog of this record....

Again...how are UK copies of this record?
    How are the Japanese?

6. Scott Wheeler

Bingo. My ARC SP 10 allows for it on the front panel. Poor/richman's EQ

7. Scott Wheeler

IMO the original just plain sucks. My later pressing is actually my second choice after the Piros but it is soooo hard to live even with this after hearing how much better the Piros is in every other aspect other than the brightness.

8. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

One of these days I hope to come across a UK release worth grabbing, until then I listen to my MOFI copy.......I enjoy it, but then again at this point I have not bothered comparing it to another yet......

9. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

I'm reviving an old thread here, but I'm curious...did you ever get to compare these two? From reading some of the other posts here, it sounds like the later pressing might be better? Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Tim

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I like the MFSL a lot too. It is also the one I reach for. I have all the other versions on cd.

11. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

they sound incredibility close to my ear; it's still a toss-up though.

you can't go wrong with either one, IMO.

later, chris

12. webbcity

Great, thanks for the feedback. I'm going record shopping soon and am making my lists...

13. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

The UK pressing we found a few months back is my new favorite, with the original AT/GP US right behind it.

14. webbcity

Yeah, I've made a note about your UK suggestion too...if I find the UK pressing, I will be happy as a clam, but I'm also hoping to find an earlier US pressing. At this point all I have is a Japanese pressing that is a bit worn.

15. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I will post the deadwax info the next time I am home, which (at this rate) will be tomorrow!

16. webbcity

Great, thanks!!

17. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

can anyone point me in the direction of LP matrix #s for this title? I'm curious what I have. thanks!

18. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Over the last year I've bought probably five vinyl copies of this album, including one from the UK. The only one that to my ears had real magic in the grooves was an original 1841 Broadway cut by George Piros. Yes, it's bright, but it's also huge and deep and very involving. I just tune out the brightness and enjoy the sonic splendors. The later GP I have sounds flat and thin by comparison. The UK version is also quite disappointing. I'll check matrix numbers when I get home.

19. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Do you have the MFSL LP?

20. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Here's the one I have -- any comments? thanks!

SD 19133 side 1: ST-A722619A all/gp pr (? i think. all/gp is tough to read.) lightly textured cover.

21. Gardo

Alas, no.

Soon as I get some coffee in me, I'll dig out those LPs....

22. Gardo

OK, here we go with my CTTE vinyl:

The best-sounding of the bunch (and it sounds wonderful to my ears) is SD7244, an 1841 Broadway pressing (label and jacket agree), slightly textured cover, green inner sleeve with lyrics. Matrix Side One: ST-A 722619A AT/GP, then opposite on the deadwax PR. Side Two: ST-A-722620A AT/GP, then opposite on the deadwax PR. On both sides the "AT/GP" is pretty small.

The rest have flatter, thinner, less engaging sound by far. The UK pressing is particularly disappointing--it may be the best of the rest, but it doesn't hold a candle to the pressing I listed above.

I don't have time for a proper shootout, unfortunately, so here are just the stats:

Record Club of America, label says mfg. by Atlantic, cover Broadway/label Broadway, SD 7244. Smooth cover. Record Club inner sleeve. Matrix Side One: ST-A 722619AAA-I-III AT/GP with PR on opposite side. The AA-I-III are very, very faintly inscribed. Side Two:: ST-A-72220BBB-I-II AT/GP with PR on opposite side. The BB-I-II are very faintly inscribed. This version sounds okay but nothing special, IIRC. The vinyl is much thinner than the best-sounding version above.

WEA UK pressing K50012. Smooth cover, green inner sleeve with lyrics. Stamped matrix numbers. Side One: K50012A3. Side Two: K50012B3. Sound is okay but pretty lifeless to my ears.

Two more to go but I'm late for an appt. More when I return.

AntLantic likes this.
  23. Gardo

OK, number four:

1841 Broadway on jacket, 75 Rockefeller on label. Cat. SD 19133. Matrix Side One: ST-A-722619--C, then tthe big-S-with-little-letters-inside symbol (Specialty pressing?), then a very swirly ATP (might be a G in there too, hard to say) Side Two: ST-A-722620 B, then a more typical AT/GP, then SM2-2, then a PR on the opposite side of the deadwax. Tan-and-white inner sleeve with rounded corners. Big Atlantic logo, with "ATLANTIC, ATCO, COTILLION AND CUSTOM LABELS at the bottom of the sleeve. Smooth cover.

And number five:

1841 Broadway on jacket, 75 Rockefeller Plaza on label. Slightly textured cover, maybe (the only highly textured cover is the first pressing I listed in post 47). Cat. no. SD 19133. Matrix Side One: ST-A-722619BBB-I. The BB-I is very faintly etched. Then a smallish AT/GP, with a PR D on the opposite side of the deadwax. Side Two: ST-A-722620BBB-I. Again, the BB-I is very faintly etched. Then an AT/GP that's larger than the initials on side 1. Then across the deadwax, D PR. Inner sleeve is plain brown "Atlantic Group" sleeve with a label cut-out.

As in post 47, the "I" marks are really like tally marks, but I can't represent them on the keyboard, so there you go.

I hope this is of some interest!

AntLantic likes this.
  24. butch

butch Senior Member

I am a big fan of Piros,but that late 70s cut was not one of his shining moments.The original pressing was fine.Does the UK trounce it?If you like the "British" brand of mastering, it suits the album to a certain degree.Was it better than an American original.IMO NO!Were the Diaments dull?I remember a few people telling me that back in the day but the ones I had heard sounded fine.It's funny because I would love to hear this as part of the reel to reel program,that's starting.That would be a trip!

25. Scott Wheeler

My impressions pretty much match about the original Piros. The best by far but bright. I have the original UK and the Mofi. The origianl UK is actually quite bad, the mofi does nothing terribly wrong but is not in the same league as the Piros. My second favorite is a later UK pressing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.