Worst mastered CD ever!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Doctorwu, Jan 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I've said on other threads that what I would like to see is a another remix of "Quadrophenia" which takes the best of the original mix (the positioning of the instruments) and the sound of the instruments on the remix and combine them.
    Listen to the positioning of the drums on the remix on disc 2 compared with the original. This new mix is not made for headphones (for those who like to hear it that way). But I like the sound of the drums (and some of the other stuff) from the remix over the original - if the drums sounded like the original "Who's Next" I would be a happy camper. I've had this on LP, tape, CD, and MoFi and never liked the muddy drum sound (I bought the MoFi used because I thought it would be an improvement over the other versions - I wasn't impressed). The remix is the one I enjoy most. It's the lesser of two evils. Still waiting for a definitive version.
    I am glad you guys are happy with the MoFi. Doesn't change which one I will listen to. This one compes down to personal taste. :)

But, I guess this thread is about mastering and not mixing.

2. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I really like the Quad remix. The original mix is smoother but really lacking in energy. Daltrey, Moon and (in some spots) Entwistle are too low in the mix. The Real Me remix kills the original mix. The remix sounds more like the Who..

3. heaudio

heaudio New Member

I'm confused-- you think Entwistle's too low in the original mix, but prefer the remix, where the bass is pushed much farther back? If the sound of The Who is how they sounded live, then the remix sounds nothing like The Who. Every time I saw them (I think fifteen or sixteen), the guitar and bass were markedly louder than the drums and vocal, and Townshend claimed in an NME interview I once read that that was the preferred concert mix. Not that anybody was quiet , mind you. :)

4. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

On some tracks I prefer how the bass is mixed on the remix, others I prefer how it is mixed on the original mix. Regarding Entwistle's bass you really have to take it on a track by track basis. I don't like the thuddy sound of Moon's drums on the original mix. The remix somewhat improves this IMO. I just find the original mix largely muddy and dull. The remix isn't perfect but it's an improvement to me.

just my .02

5. heaudio

heaudio New Member

You just might like the Universal (Germany) LP. On the whole, the sound is what I'd call a bit leaner than the original LP (and MFSL CD), but there's no loss of power. I paid $40 for one from MusicDirect, and I think they're still in print.

6. Derrell Gore

Derrell Gore Forum Resident

This is like fingernails on a chalkboard. I hope someone got fired.

Greta Van Fleet-The Battle At Garden's Gate DR 5 Min DR 3 Max DR 6

I can't even sit thru this. It sounds better when I watch it on Youtube.

7. Derrell Gore

Derrell Gore Forum Resident

Does anyone know if the 24 bit version is better?

8. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Can’t polish a turd, not counting that Mythbusters episode.

c-eling likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.