Wonderful Woo Audio WA5 300B Single-ended Triode Class-A Speaker and Headphone Amp.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TigerMMG

TigerMMG New Member

It has been three weeks for me too... mostly coughing that never go away. Didn't see doctor until just recently. Now on antibiotic... we'll see... I am not coughing like crazy anymore but I am fatigued and cloudy head... it is wearing me out.

2. Oasis

Oasis New Member

I can tell you the drugs put it down for a couple of days, but it came right back. This tells me it's either Viral (drugs do nothing in terms of killing it), or it's allergy related. I have never had allergies this bad, ever. I am seeing another doctor tomorrow. I may suggest they test for Mono (had it before when confined to a hospital years ago). I just don't know. If you'rs clears and comes back, you may have a virus. Good luck to you. Hopefully you have a woo to keep you company.

3. TigerMMG

TigerMMG New Member

No Woo over here... My friend got similar symptom as yours and he doesn't live anywhere near me or seen me in years. So it is more widespread than just you. I am on Day 2 of the antibiotic and we'll see.

In beginning, I would coughing real bad, some ache and little bit of fever but the fever doesn't last... and then it is all coughing the lung out sort of to the point of gagging most of the time. I then got better after 2 weeks to almost no coughing and then it started getting worse again... and that is when I went to doc.

I asked the doctor if it is virus or bacteria... he is not sure but want to cover all the bases. He did give me a cough med with coediene... which does great for cough but I hate being dizzy and extremely tired.

Now I am approaching week 4... This is not good.

4. Oasis

Oasis New Member

THAT IS IT! The cough is sometimes so deep your eyeballs feel like they're going to pop out. I can't believe you just described my symptoms to a T. The drugs will help for a couple of days and then it goes back, not quite as bad, but still there. I have the coediene too, but it just knocks out. You can't cough when you're out. It must be viral then. My appt i for tomorrow, but I had to push it back to afternoon due to a confernce call. Oh, my voice fails constantly too, cracking and fading. It is some bad stuff.

5. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I hope you both get better soon. Check with your docotor but FWIW I think mono is a one time only thing, once you have had it your are safe from getting it again.

6. Oasis

Oasis New Member

I've heard the same thing; once in a lifetime sufferring.

Ok, so Totem Arro or Zu Druid?

Attached Files:

7. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I'd stay away from Totem for a bit. The recent laundry airing on Stereophile turned me off them.

8. Oasis

Oasis New Member

Thank you. Just what I wanted to hear.

Six Moons highly recommends the Zu's. So Zu's or Omegas. Both veeeeery efficient. Like the zu look, but don't want to be hypnotized. Would prefer to hear teh good and bad.

9. Oasis

Oasis New Member

Here are pictures of my unit. I just can't put into words how much of fan I am of Jack's work. It is art, and it really is that simple. I can just stare at it.

It is rare when a combination of passion, beauty and function come together. This is the most beautiful unit I've ever seen.

Jack is incredible to deal with; offerring me suggestions, advice and guidance along the path of decision, and after. There just aren't many people that do this any more. I will be buying more from him, for my brother.

Thank all of you for your help as well. I'm so pleased.

Attached Files:

10. Metralla

Those tube sockets look like the Teflon Yamamotos. They can be a bit tricky. I have them in my Welborne Labs SETs.

11. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Great to see those pictures, and you are right, it is a work of art.

12. Oasis

Oasis New Member

Leaning toward the Zu Essence speakers. Is there anything else that would be considered in its class?

13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

more pics please

14. audioguru

audioguru New Member

WA5, 1st one made...

Greetings, new to this forum....great resource btw!

I was doing some research on the net on the WA5, and came across this site. Thought you would enjoy hearing from the very first WA5 owner. :)

When I first heard about the WA5, I was intrigued. Having been a STAX fan for many years, I was curious how a 300b SET amp would sound with headphones. .....never heard one! I took a huge leap of faith and ordered one from Jack. It turns out mine was going to be the very first one made. I already had the AKG K-1000, so I was ready to hear them with this amp.

Let me tell you, years later, I am STILL in sonic heaven here....I have the stock version, (don't remember if upgrades were offered at that time) This amp is something else...the ease and clarity in the way it produces music is uncanny. My STAX equip is sitting idle, has been since the WA5 arrived. I had the stock tubes all this time...just recently tried some tube rolling. (I've heard that there is going to be 300b tube especially made for the WA5!) Will be trying a pair. At the moment, I have the JJ Tesla 300B, EH6sn7, and the original Sovtek 5u4g's. As money permits, would like to try the EML 5u4g's. There are a lot of tube possibilities out there....too darn expensive! ;)

This amp also drives a small 2-way Mission Cyrus speaker pair with ease, and that magical quality is there as well.

Being a pro-musician, I know what instruments should sound like...my WA5/AKG combo is amazing in that respect....... magical is how I would describe it.

I understand there is an even better amp from Woo coming down the pike, using the same tubes as the WA5...whatever it is, I am sure it will be spectacular.

You know, as an avid audiophile, I have always had the inclination to look for somethig better in terms of sound quality with all of my equip over the years...not so with the WA5/AKG. The AKG K-1000 is not the last word in headphones, but it has it's own magical quality, couple that with the WA5, and you have an out-of-this world sonic experience. I keep wanting to hear the "magic"! I will probably be listening to this amp combo for a very long time. :)

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Just an update, one of my big amps was out of commission so I hooked back up the Woo Audio WA5 300B in my mastering room system and the magic was the same as the last time I tried it as a speaker amp. I re-read my initial review (post #1 of this thread) and still feel the exact same way.

It's a keeper! A tuneful 10 watts from Jack Woo. Made with pride in the USA!

16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

saw the sticky and thought this might be a contest giveaway - oh well

17. Steve Hoffman

Second update! My big Tenor Audio 350 monoblocks are taking a rest until I can retube and I hooked up the Woo WA5 AGAIN in my big listening room system. Well, going from 700 watts a channel to 9 watts a channel is quite a leap of faith but I was curious how the Woo would do in here since I was used to the Tenors and it worked wonders in my mastering room system.

AMAZING and truly world class sound reproduction. Ain't kidding, folks. The tonality is really perfect, just spooky real soundstage and vocal reproduction.

It's just a wonderful 300B amplifier and it drives my giant Venture speakers quite well. The tonality is to die for and since it's integrated, I just plug my digital and phono section right in the back and go. When I crank it up I don't get any sag at all, just a slight lack of dynamic drive as mentioned in my first post. However, the tonality is SPOT ON and the "single point source" sound is uncanny. 3-D sound to the max.

Most of you know that a truly great 300B amp is a lot of bucks. The Wavac EC-300B is 20 grand. The Audio Note $60,000 Ongaku and the Audio Note $95,000 Gaku-On, etc.

I recommend this Woo Audio amplifier as a first class way to experience the magic of a single-ended 300b unit for not too much money (comparatively speaking). It's truly a great sounding unit. It's given me NO problems, no noise, hum, squeaks, crackle, etc. Just world-class sound, day after day.

My big 4 ohm Ventures have a sensitivity rating of 90 db. It might be able to drive YOUR speakers as well as it does mine. In other words, you might not need to just use a horn speaker or an easy-to-drive design.

If you have the bread and are in the market for some new amplification, check out the Woo Audio WA5. It's great. In fact, it's quite remarkable.

My review on their new digital double system coming up in the new year..
    http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wtp1.html

18. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

I was just looking at the WA5 on the Woo Audio site. Very nice looking amp! I've never heard one of these, but looking at the price it seems to be a very good value. Remember when the SET amp craze was going on in the late 1990's? I bought a kit from AES (division of CARY) and built a 300B stereo amp that had the same tube lineup as the WA5. Used it with some Chinese 300B's and some NOS signal tubes. It sounded great, so I can imagine what you are hearing with the Woo amp. The use of high quality components and and ultra-simple circuit really makes things sound good. Not much in the sound path to mess with the signal. Amazing that the technology is basically from the 1920's!

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  19. Steve Hoffman

The single-ended design was basically obsolete from 1929 or so! Western Electric hung on to it for movie theaters for another 10 years. Imagine powering an entire movie theater with one 9 watt single ended amp and a 300B tube? It worked well as we discovered about a zillion years later. With nothing to push or pull the signal is so pure it just oozes pinpoint accuracy. Amazing 1920's technology.

20. triple

triple Senior Member

Wonderful Woo Audio are now producing a CD transport? Looks interesting and affordable. Looking forward to that review.

21. Metralla

Really - that's a different step to take.

22. Metralla

23. Raylinds

I love my WA5 hooked up to my Paradigm speakers and have long been saying almost the same thing that Steve siad. An unbelievable soundstage and great tonality- especially for vocals and acoustic jazz. Ella, Frank, and Nat have never sounded better to my ears.

24. MorbidToaster

MorbidToaster Well-Known Member

So I see that this thread is actually still getting posts but I'm going to ask a non-headphone related question.

My 009 rig keeps me happy on the headphone front but I'm considering this almost exclusively as a speaker amp. I'm considering Zu, Devore, and Audio Note but I'm wondering if this amp is really up to snuff when it comes to exclusively speakers.

It's pretty much right around what a Leben 300 costs and that's my current pick, but the 300Bs are calling me. Thoughts?

25. Raylinds

I use mine exclusively with speakers, and I do not have super-efficient horn speakers. I use Paradigms that are, if I recall correctly are about 92 db sensitive. I absolutely love the sound. What kind of music do you like listening to? What speakers will you be using?

These amps are particularly sweet for vocals and acoustic music, but my Ludwig mastered Led Zep II sounds really good to my ears, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.