Wonderful Woo Audio WA5 300B Single-ended Triode Class-A Speaker and Headphone Amp.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don S

Don S Forum Resident

I second that...great people....you will not be disappointed!

2. Hopstretch

Hopstretch New Member

Wait till you hear the WES plus Stax O2s. :goodie:

[​IMG]

3. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

I believe you mean he would be glowing gold with envy. :righton:

4. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

:laughup:

5. dms54

dms54 New Member

Jeffery Jackson's modified WA5

Hi all, First time here and while browsing I came across Mr.Hoffmans thread.
    Anyway I would like to bring your attention to Jeffery Jackson of Experience Music Inc.
    In Jeff's site titled "other projects" he talks about what he did to Woo's WA5 that made him a fan of head phone listening.
    Jeff has certainly earned his colours in the world of custom commissioned horn speaker systems, amplfiers, phono stages and preamplifiers.

Steve just a suggestion, having your WA5 modified by this fellow would be very well worth it.
    I may have to get myself a Woo WA5.

David

6. monsieurguzel

monsieurguzel New Member

Hi Steve, awesome review! I am on the verge of getting a WA5 myself. I have been eyballing a set of JM Labs Focal 1007 monitors. Do you think the amp would be powerful enough to drive such speakers to moderate levels? I'm not looking for loudness, just very good clarity, dynamics, etc...

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I don't know the speakers, sorry.

Remember, this is like 9 watts a channel. You need very forgiving speakers to get any kind of dynamic drive.

8. Oasis

Oasis New Member

My AW5 is ready, and should ship early next week. I am very excited.

9. Raylinds

Great news! Be sure to post your experiences when it arrives.

10. Oasis

Oasis New Member

It has arrived. Unfortunately, I'm very sick and can't muster the strength to open the crates. They sit in the hallway until, hopefully tomorrow.

11. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Sorry to hear that. Get better - you have something to look forward to.

12. Raylinds

Wow, you must be really hurting. Sorry to hear that- get well soon.

13. Oasis

Oasis New Member

I'm toast. My wife left for NY last night, and I'm watching the kids. All I do is lay in bed coughing. I am so weak. I think I may have strep. If I can get the strength, I'm heading to the quak shak.

I did sit on one of the wood cases, as a rest stop, as I made my way into the kitchen to get my tea. It felt solid. lol

14. Raylinds

:laugh:

BTW I have my subwoofer up and running. I can already tell it is an improvement, but I am still tweeking.

15. TigerMMG

TigerMMG New Member

16. Oasis

Oasis New Member

Great to hear. I may get to unpacking tonight, if just to peak at Jack's artistic work.

17. Raylinds

Oasis,
    I hope your back to good health by now. How is it going with the WA5? Any pictures?

18. Oasis

Oasis New Member

Needs some cans for this beast, any suggestion. Cost isn't an issue, but want to be smart at the same time.

19. Raylinds

Sorry I can't help too much there, I'm not much of a headphone fan. Check out this site, though for advice: http://www.head-fi.org/

20. Oasis

Oasis New Member

You know Ray, I don't know if I am either. But when you have the best headphone amp on the planet, the forces of nature take over and force your hand. I am in the process of getting the Omegas as well. I am leaning towards the HD800's. Sadly, while I have peaked at them, I have yet to put the units up in place. Office cleaning time.

Still have some crud after almost three weeks. I went in and they gave me another Deco shot to kick the bug in the booty, and another round of drugs. Strange bug doesn't want to go.

21. Raylinds

Wow, that is one stubborn bug. Just get better- you'll have a lifetime with the Woo.

I got a pair of AKG K1000s when I bought the Woo, as I heard they were a match made in heaven. i was moving into an apartment where I lived above the landlord and thought I would need to use phones at night. They did sound great but, as it turns out, I could play the stereo as loud as I wanted- a combination of an old, deaf landlord and 18' high ceilings.

As good as the cans sounded, I didn't need them. I am a big fan of a good soundstage, and no headphone is going to match speakers, so I sold the K1000s. Since I didn't compare them with anything, I cannot say if they were better than other cans.

22. Oasis

Oasis New Member

I love your perspective and appreciate your practicality. I will wait for my speakers first then.

That is one funny story.

23. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Dude, Are you feeling any better, I have relatives in Fort Worth if you want the name of a better doctor.

24. Oasis

Oasis New Member

Hi Tony. My wife thinks it's a serious allergy. None of the drugs have worked, mostly the Deca and steroid shots with follow-up of Eurythomycin (spelling). Puts it back for a day and it comes right back. Strangest thing ever for me. Three weeks of this has been a pain in the rear. Sorry to hijack the thread folks. Having no energy has left my beloved Woo in a crate to drool over. It does look good.

Had problems getting my Omegas. There was once an information area on Woo's site discussing various speakers he recommends. I can't find it any longer. Do you think he took it down to possibly promote a coming speaker line? Don't know. But would love to reconsider other speakers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.