Wilco fans-What are your thought's on Jay Bennett?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oliver, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjay

jjay Forum Resident

I thought the Palace at 4am was great. loved it.

I thought the same thing, lose the first 2 songs and it was really good cd. I just jump to number 3 when I play the Magnificent Defeat.
    Just my opinion,
    Jim

2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I agree that "Secret of the Sea" is one of the best Wilco songs, and that the Mermaid Ave. records are very strong indeed. If I had to pick one favorite Wilco song, it would be a close call between "Poor Places" and "One By One."

If I were a betting man, I'd bet that the current incarnation of Wilco lasts for awhile. Unlkike the Bennett era, everyone now seems to accept their role in the band, and everyone has an outlet for their solo stuff now - John Stirratt and Pat Sansone have the Autumn Defense, Nels Cline has the Nels Cline Singers and (I think) other side projects, and even Glenn Kotche has a Nonesuch solo album (that I haven't heard). This probably won't please bangsezmax or squealy, but I think that Sky Blue Sky really could have benefitted if it had dropped the three or four weakest Tweedy songs and replaced them with the three or four best songs from the most recent Autumn Defense album, but I recognize that Wilco is and will probably always be the Jeff Tweedy Experience.

I think that The Magnifcent Defeat is better than people are giving it credit for. It's weaknesses are two-fold: it's a little too obviously full of bitterness about the Tweedy/Bennett split, and Bennett can't really sing. Tweedy arguably can't really sing, either, but at least his limited voice has an interesting raspy quality to it.

3. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused Thread Starter

"Poor Places" is definitely my favorite Wilco song. So epic and grand in scope.

The first time I heard that piano drone that comes in near the end of the song followed by the noise nirvana I was floored.

4. glea

glea Forum Resident

I picked up The Palace AT 4am when I was down in Denver two weeks ago. We listened to it driving across the wide open spaces of Wyoming. It's really good. The wife asked just now who it was, again, and said she digs it. Thanks for the advice. I have to shop on memory. I'm too lazy to make wants list and such.

We saw Wilco here in the spring. They were outstanding. Tweedy was really funny, and apologized to to anyone who had seen them on their previous visit. Apparently he was very nasty to the small crowd. I would have gone, but was out of town that time.

5. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

They were nice shows it wasn't that big of deal. He likes it to be quiet when he plays solo in theatres...like real quiet.

JB's Palace at 3am at times reminds me of E Costello and Tom Petty. In a pretty ok way. It a solid 3 star LP.

C

6. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I'll have to give Palace another chance.

Anybody else going to see Wilco in Brooklyn next week?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.