WHO'S NEXT Japanese SHM-SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rstamberg, Sep 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricks

ricks Senior Member

2. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for that.

I don't hear any "pop" on "Won't Get Fooled Again" on my recently-acquired Canadian CD. At all.

3. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

I tweaked the settings in the SACD player for the most direct output. I also switched off the video circuitry. I suspect the earlier rips have reduced bass because of some frequencies being sent to the output for the sub.

Tim

4. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member Thread Starter

I played the CD on another player and listened hard. No pop ... or anything else out of the ordinary. Very strange, eh?

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Since the other (comparison) thread apparently went poof, here's some info on the mastering, for anyone interested. From Jon Astley, with very minor editing from me for clarity:

He also mentioned the gaps between songs should be the same as what's on the tapes. We had previously discussed (here) different releases having different gaps before WGFA.

6. rallizes

rallizes Forum Resident

7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This is the best digital version I have heard including some highly regarded masterings.

8. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Are we talking about this one?

[​IMG]

Japanese Limited Deluxe Reissue '2008 / # UICY-93750~1

Is that it?

9. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

^

No.

Afaik, that is just the Deluxe Edition pressed onto SHM.

We are discussing the current SHM-SACD, which is a totally different transfer/mastering.

10. evad

evad Well-Known Member

11. Received my SHM-SACD of "Who's Next" today. Wow, did get charged with an extra $10 customs fee. Wow, this sure was an expensive SACD all in all (around $60).

Ricks, thanks for bringing my attention to this one. I would never have considered buying it without the recommendation from some trusted ears.

I really think this SACD sounds very nice. It has a certain smoothness and almost analog feel that is not present on some other well-regarded CD masterings of this album. Can't really put my finger on it, but this SACD sounds very dynamic to me. It is also a little quiter than the 1st Japanese pressing and Steve's mastering. It sounds almost that the tape source they used for the SACD was less compressed or something (not sure what it is).

I am glad I decided to buy this one, but I will not buy any other SHM-SACD's until I get some strong and solid recommendations from some "trusted ears".

12. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

You can use my ears as an reference. ;)

It depends where your focus are. If you want an ultimate analogue experience from a digital format, every SHM-SACD I've heard up until today does it for me.
    Besides of this, we can argue over if the tonality is right or wrong, etc.

13. For me, the most important thing is that they didn't mess with the dynamic range of the recording.

When I read comments about the Dire Straits SHM-SACD like "it is noticeably louder than the old Vertigo CD and maybe even a bit louder than the remaster", then I know it is not for me.

14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Just won a copy on eBay for $60.99, seller already here in America, and only played once (like me w/Aja SHM SACD)...man, has this twisted and turned for me. Pre-order way back when > delayed until 8/25 > then I canceled > then all the rave reviews !!! > then trying to buy one here, or seeing others try, and no one willing to part with a copy > to eBay, where all sellers were in Japan, charging same price as CD Japan > to today. :D

15. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Money well spent. It sounds great. Not too bad an album either.:D

16. Looks like I'm going to have to pick this one up. :)

17. Rose River Bear

It is pretty much a no brainer. It is one of the most unfutzed with CDs that I have bought in a long time. It is better played LOUD.

18. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I don't think you will regret it, it is pricey but compared to what early pressings go for (like the P33P Japan) it is a "Bargain" IMO.

19. I have received the SHM-SACD of "Who's Next" a while ago and I can certainly give it my "thumbs up" recommendation. Really a good sounding release in my opinion. My favorite (digital) version.

Edit: I guess I am getting old. I already posted before that I do like it. Oh, whatever...

d.s.l. likes this.
  20. H-Man

H-Man Member

I did play it loud and the police made a visit. Seriously...

21. Rose River Bear

That'll teach em!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

22. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

LOVE that ! :laugh: not your situation of course, but it being THAT album...one of my all-time favorites since 1971...

23. Rose River Bear

That album must have subliminal messages in it...when I hear the electric guitar come in at 1:39 my hand moves toward the volume control and turns the knob clockwise!:laugh:

David del Toro likes this.
  24. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

In the infamous words of Cheech and Chong, "Hey, I've done that man". True story, but my friend and I did the same thing years ago one night, when we played the song "Life Is My Song" by Herb Alpert, (a great slow building jam of a song), at full tilt volume, about five times in a row. When the song was ending the fifth time, we saw the police slowly drive by my friends house and that's when we decided to call it a night!

Chris C

25. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

So is the hearing OK Roland? :wave:

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.