Who has the best fake American accent on TV?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I'm yet to hear her speak in any other accent, but them i'm used to her in The Benny Hill Show.

2. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

It sounded like an Englishman trying to impersonate Fred Flinstone

3. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Well, he does have some experience at that sort of thing.

4. georgecostanza

georgecostanza Active Member

Jack Huston as Richard Harrow and Stephen Graham as Al Capone, both in Broadwalk Empire

p.s. Bob Hope pulled off a good one for an Englishman

5. violarules

violarules Senior Member

According to whom? If you live here, it's pronounced Bawlmer, Murrilyn. ;)

6. blue.monk

blue.monk Forum Resident

Ha, yes, I'd take that or 'Marilyn' as we Midwesterners tend to say. I've heard a few Brit actors pronounce it closer to 'Mary Land'. I suppose it could be a regional thing but I've never heard any Yanks pronounce it that way.

7. Macman

Macman Senior Member

She's a great actress, that's why. :agree:

8. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I'm not familiar with the bios of many listed here and I'm surprised that so many are foreigners as they do feign a good American accent although my ears aren't attuned to hear the nuances of American speech patterns being that there are so many variations in America.

I read in an article that Hugh Laurie doesn't break character when he's shooting House and speaks 'American' for days at a time.

Seems Australia exports more than just wine and lamb.

9. Her film debut was in Trainspotting, which I was quite surprised to find out while re-watching it recently. She played Renton's underage sex-buddy Diane.

10. I wonder if this trend kicked off with LA Confidential, where the two lead roles were played by Strines (Guy Pearce and Russell Crowe)...with Simon Baker in a supporting role, come to think of it.

11. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I kind of wondered if he was not American. I don't know why. He sounds very American, but I think he slips in and out of the Southern accent, so I thought maybe he was from another part of the States.

Doug

12. The guy from Fringe-John Noble.

13. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Then you must not watch any news or sports programs. National news and sports anchors pronounce it 'Mary Land'.

14. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Not a TV one, but Graham Coxon's Johnny Cash impression on the Blur song Red Necks is amazing. A first time listener could only tell he's English from the talking before the song starts.

15. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Funny to read Poppy Anderson.
    Poppy Montgomery, her brother is named Jethro Tull.

Who has the best fake American accent on TV? Most Canadians. :laugh:

Ian Anderson is Jethro Tull
    Jethro Tull is Ian Anderson

16. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I never noticed her in any Benny Hill show, but then I don't know how many I've seen, because I can't tell the difference between any two shows. Patting the old guy on the head, rapid-pace chase scenes, some woman's blouse falls off and his eyes get big.

17. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Hugh Laurie

18. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

19. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

How convincing was Lorne Greene's fake American accent?

20. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I was surprised when I found out that Jamie Bamber, who playedd Lee "Apollo" Adama in the re-imagined Battlestar: Galactica was a Brit.

21. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I missed this earlier. I actually asked Gina Bellman about this. Leverage is shot here locally and I've worked as an extra in a few episodes and attended some fan events. She told me that the her exaggerated accents (American and foreign) are part of the over the top and often "cartoonish" (her description) nature of the show. She proceeded to speak to me in a natural sounding American accent which didn't sound fake at all!

22. The Rush Fan

The Rush Fan Well-Known Member

Wow, I didn't know Alex O'Loughlin is British.

Aussie Jacqueline McKenzie did a very good American accent in The 4400. I would have never known she is Aussie if I had not watched the DVD extras.

23. MichaelPemulis

MichaelPemulis Forum Resident

Stringer Bell wins this one walking away.

24. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Domonic West did a good enough job on THE WIRE that I was surprised to hear him on the DVD commentary. I was even more shocked to discover Idris Elba wasn't American.

Speaking of the tough Maryland accent for WIRE actors, an episode of 30 ROCK featured Elizabeth Banks mocking our weird "O": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKaHuLMg9tY.

Most readers here are probably most familiar with the Maryland accent via NFL draft guru, Mel Kiper, Jr., on ESPN.

25. Dok

Dok Senior Member

I haven't seen him in more recent work but I didn't realize Paul Blackthorne was British until listening to the commentary in the Dresden Files series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.