Who has the best fake American accent on TV?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

Mel Gibson

Drifting a little off topic, but to these ears, he still sounds in-between Oz and US.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFWlwCrl5aw

2. ziggysane

ziggysane Forum Resident

I just went to double check that myself! I agree with you; I hadn't seen it for 10+ years and his accent was stronger in my memory.

3. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Is Jane Leeves really British? Sometimes her accent sounds unreal to me.

4. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Yep, she was born in Manchester and was one of Benny Hill's Hill's Angels for awhile. She was also in one of the Monty Python films, I forgot which one just now.

5. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Just checked, she was one of the dancers in the "Christmas in Heaven" number from "Meaning Of Life". I'll have to see if I can spot her.

6. D Schnozzman

I had no idea, but she was apparently a dancer in the 'Christmas in Heaven' scene in The Meaning of Life.
    Dancers are wearing false comedy breasts, in case this is a problem for you watching at work.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmZYIyySxPE
    I think she might be the one on the left of screen at 1:46

7. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Damien Lewis
    Old Etonian
    That bloke in the Wire ditto.

8. D Schnozzman

Dominic West. It was hilarious in the episode where McNutty went undercover as an English brothel client and he put on a truly atrocious fake English accent.

9. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

First one I thought of too. Dominic West as McNulty does pretty well too, though there are a couple of YouTube clips of his Brit accent sneaking through (not the brothel scene referred to above).

10. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Alex O'Loughlin's is pretty good. I keep forgetting he's from out of town.

11. Rachel Griffiths who played Brenda on Six Feet Under. I had no idea she was an Aussie until I watched the extras on the season discs.

12. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Rose Byrne on Damages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhdbPQn3hJM

13. D Schnozzman

Hey, fair's fair. You sent us Meryl Streep. "A dingow's gort moiy bay-boye!"

14. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Kelly MacDonald (Scottish) in No Country For Old Men. I had no idea she wasn't American until it was pointed out in a thread on that movie here on the forum.

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Hugh and Barry are the winners! IMO:)

16. paulisme

paulisme I’m being sarcastic

Hugh Laurie's accent was pretty convincing until an episode of House where he had to say "ophthalmologist" several times. He pronounced it "opTHALmologist" (big emphasis on THAL) instead of "opthaMOLuhgist" like we Americans do (disregarding the first "L" with emphasis on "MOL").

17. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

[​IMG]

I love that one! I can do that one perfectly, myself (but only the Meryl Streep version). Even Dick Van Dyke admits he had the worst Cockney accent, ever, in Mary Poppins, and he has to hide his face whenever he visits the UK. "Gu-boy Muh-ree Poppins! Don' stay aw-eye tew long!" I thought that was hokey and weird when I was 10!

Alfred Molina and Bob Hoskins are two film actors that do incredibly good fake American accents. The recent Dark Knight film series had three actors that did very good fake American accents: Christian Bale (as Bruce Wayne and Batman), Heath Ledger (as The Joker), and Gary Oldman (as Commissioner Gordon). All three brilliant actors, with a damn near dead-on American accent.

Anna Torv doesn't bother me in Fringe, but I know Steve dislikes her. Maybe I get caught up in her great looks and cool attitude: she's very smart, sexy, and beautiful, and somehow I buy into the way she talks. It is a little "off," but not so much that I can tell she's an Aussie.

19. Paul G

Paul G Senior Member

+1.

20. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

21. ziggysane

ziggysane Forum Resident

New vote - Toni Colette. Another Aussie thats been doing American roles for over a decade. I never picked up on it.

22. Senn20

Senn20 Forum Resident

Yvonne Strahovski (Australian) from Chuck does the accent pretty well.

I agree on Archie Panjabi. Can't hold the accent for more than a word and a half.

Anna Torv, while my favorite, is too dead neutral in the delivery and her natural accent peeks through quite a lot. She's hopeless with Bostonisms too.

23. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Andrew Lincoln from "The Walking Dead" has a fairly authentic southern drawl for a Brit.

Attached Files:

24. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Joely Richardson :)love:)

Hugh Laurie - ridiculous.

25. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

Mel Gibson in the Jodie Foster directed film "The Beaver", has him doing an
    Aussie "accent" when his puppet is talking. And his character (without the puppet) uses an American accent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.