Who Cares - new Iommi/Gillan project

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Robert Haagsma, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Haagsma

Robert Haagsma Vinyl fanatic Thread Starter

I actually am ;)

2. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

What an honor that must have been!

Thanks for sharing.

3. mrlefty

mrlefty Forum Resident

4. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Anyone got the CD by now? How's the mastering?

5. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

I ordered the 7" of "Out of My Mind" off of ebay, I hope I get it soon :)

Great track!

6. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

7. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

Abandon all hope :shake:

8. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

He said, "Abandon," hee, hee. Hee, hee. (Insert ironic Beavis and Butthead laugh <here>.)

;)

9. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

10. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

The CD mastering is atrocious. Just dreadful.

11. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Weird. The youtube video sounds wonderful and crystal clean.

12. ScaramangaFran

ScaramangaFran Forum Resident

Same here. At least the youtube video sounded pretty good on my studio monitors, and headphones.

13. agentalbert

I don't know how well digital compression comes across in a youtube stream. Clarity isn't the problem. It's the loudness and lack of dynamics.

14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

On just a few listens I like the second song on the single more than the first one.

Anyone notice that the short guitar solo in the first song sounds really really close to part of something Tony did in a Dio-era Sabbath song? I can't think of which one for sure but my nose thinks it is either Lonely is the Word or Over and Over (??).

15. zen

zen Senior Member

Ian Gillan and Tony Iommi are apparently considering a follow-up project to their recent "Out Of My Mind" charity single.

Ian has told Bravewords that “I’ve got some free dates next April and I think we’re planning to get together for a week and see what happens, whether we’ll have enough time to make an album, I don’t know. Working with Tony is very quick because he’s unique. Who we will have on the other instruments I don't know. That probably wouldn't be discussed until we've written some songs, and certainly I wouldn't have time for a tour because Deep Purple's always working and there'll be no point in trying to rehearse a band up for one or two shows."

Attached Files:

16. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I just got this, and boy, do I agree. Hopefully if they do a full album, it'll be mastered better.

17. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

excellent news :)

18. The Rush Fan

The Rush Fan Well-Known Member

I just got this CD, and yes, it's loud, but then again, I didn't have any expectations of a sonic wonder in these modern times. I like both songs, but like the second one better than the first. I think Ian Gillan sounds really good. He's a great singer and the songs are really well composed for his current singing voice. The second song, "Holy Water" has a very haunting vocal performance. If you're a fan of these guys and don't have the CD, I'd say get it because who knows for how long it will remain in print.

19. The Rush Fan

I just watched the 30 minute documentary (enhanced portion of the CD). It's really great and moving. Gillan is a pretty big star in Armenia. It has an excerpt of him singing "Pictures Of Home" with an orchestra in front of a very enthusiastic crowd from March 2010. I wonder if that performance is available on DVD.

I like these songs more and more the more I listen. I really hope they do a full album. McBrain, Lord and Newsted sound great on the first song (they do not play on the second one).

20. The Rush Fan

From Joe Siegler's offic.... I mean, fan site:

http://www.black-sabbath.com/2012/05/who-cares-full-album-coming-out/

Who Cares Full Album coming out!

Last summer, Tony Iommi & Ian Gillan released a charity single to raise money for a music school in Armenia. Click here if you want to refresh your memory about that. The project did well, and there was talk of them doing more in the future. Well, that “more” is here. Sort of. I think a lot of fans expected the new “work” to result in a full fledged new album. That’s not quite what we’re getting, but we are getting a “WhoCares” full album. The album does have new music, but not newly recorded. It also has some older tracks that were previously released elsewhere. There are going to be a bunch of leftover tracks from projects that Tony & Ian were involved with over the last 10 years or so that will be released for the first time on this album.

I’m a little unclear as to the title of the new disc – from what I’ve read online, it will be called “WhoCares”, the same as the single from last year. But I can’t get official confirmation of that at this time. Anyway, here is the track listing, which is accurate, as far as I can tell from my own research on the matter:

• WhoCares – Out of My Mind (from single last year)
    • Ian Gillan featuring Iommi, Roger Glover, & Ian Paice – Trashed (originally from Gillan’s Inn)
    • Black Sabbath – Zero the Hero (from Born Again)
    • Deep Purple – Dick Pimple (unreleased Deep Purple outtake from Purpendicular)
    • WhoCares – Holy Water (from single last year)
    • Black Sabbath – Anno Mundi (from Tyr)
    • Ian Gillan – She Thinks it’s a Crime (first time released on CD or digital)
    • Iommi / Hughes – Slip Away (from Fused album, previously was a real.com exclusive track)
    • Ian Gillan – When a Blind Man Cries (previously unreleased live acoustic version)
    • Ian Gillan – No Laughing in Heaven (live track released under name Garth Rockett)
    • Ian Gillan / Mikhalis Ratzinkis – Getaway (previously available on LP only)
    • Tony Iommi / Glenn Hughes – Let it Down Easy (from Japanense version of Fused album)
    • Ian Gillan & the Javelins – Can I Get a Witness
    • Repo Depo – East Come Easy Go (previously unreleased)
    • Deep Purple w/ Ronnie James Dio – Smoke on the Water
    • Ian Gillan / Roger Glover – Can’t Believe You Wanna Leave Me
    • Gillan – Don’t Hold Me Back

The inclusion of a few old Sabbath tracks is interesting. It will be interesting to see the source of the mastering work for Anno Mundi. I know there were plans to release the Tony Martin IRS albums in deluxe editions, but the reunion stuff (and later Tony’s cancer) got in the way of that. However, if they were actually remastered already and waiting for a release, then this would be good news to include a remastered version of a track from Tyr. I have inquired about that, if/when I get an update on it, I’ll report back. UPDATE: I got word back from Tony Iommi’s manager that Anno Mundi has NOT been remastered, and that Tony has had little time to work on the IRS remasters, so this will be the previously available CD master version. Still, it’s nice to see a track from Tyr get some attention in 2012! :)

There are no pre-orders available yet, when there is, I’ll make sure and bring you that info. I’m pretty sure it will be released by the same labels as the single from last year, but I’m waiting on confirmation of that news, too.
    The inclusion of Anno Mundi will make for the only Tony Martin era track (excluding Eternal Idol) that will currently be in print. One holds out hope that we’ll still get to the deluxe edtions of Headless Cross, Tyr, Cross Purposes & Forbidden – but that’s a story for another time. If you want to read about THAT situation, I urge you to read this link. ALL OF IT.

Also, to refresh your memory, here is the full track “Out of My Mind” from last year. Still a great track. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=alwYQMGtvzE

21. agentalbert

Let It Down Easy is a great track, and the Japanese pressing of Fused is scarce and pricey. I have wanted one for awhile, so I'm looking forward to this release. And just praying it isn't mastered as brutal as the Who Cares single was...

22. Agreed. That and the long tune were my favorites from Fused.

23. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I just got the double cd. I love the inclusion of some nice rare Sabbath , Iommi and Gillan material. It's nice that they compiled a lot of this stuff into one package.

24. agentalbert

Can you comment on the sound? Dare I hope for something other than nuclear annihilation of the music/dynamics?

25. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

I have the double CD but have yet to listen to it. Hopefully today I will get a chance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.