Who Cares - new Iommi/Gillan project

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Robert Haagsma, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Haagsma

Robert Haagsma Vinyl fanatic Thread Starter

There will be a 2 track CD single incl. a documentary about the project/cause. Both tracks will also be released on a 1000 only vinyl 7".

Of course I asked about a tour and full album. In short: no news, nothing confirmed, but the guys enjoyed working together, so there is hope.

Again, the songs are absolute killer.

2. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

I think now that Tony is creatively and contractually free he can achive his life long quest of using every former Blackmore singer and drummer left. There must be a poll for next Sabbath singer among Rod Evans,David Coverdale, Graham Bonnet, Joe Lynn Turner and Doogie White.:D

3. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Do they sound like the H&H studio records or different?

4. zen

zen Senior Member

:righton:

I thought the Sabbath legacy was destroyed way back when it was down to Tony Iommi and his revolving door of lead singers and backing musicians.
    And then there was the Osbourne T.V. show....

Well, I gotta hand it to Sharon "the digital bitch" Osbourne for a good PR job on the Sabbath rewrite. :D

Anyway, I'm looking forward to supporting this project.

5. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Robert, did you ask about the DE Born Again?

6. Quidsane

Quidsane Forum Resident

A nice guy who played bass for Metallica for 15 years as opposed to Burton's 4.
    Just sayin'.:wave:

Cliff Burton – bass, backing vocals (1982–1986)
    Jason Newsted – bass, backing vocals (1986–2001)

Anyhow, Newsted is a legend here in Phoenix, for being the creative force behind the first Flotsam & Jetsam album Doomsday For The Deciever.
    On that album, there's no Hetfield holding him back from actually playing the bass...:righton:

7. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

All true but, that still doesn't put Newsted on Iommi's or Gillan's level of importance to either the hard rock genre or respective band. That's all I was trying to point out. :)

8. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

IF only I could be so fortunate. However, I did do an in-person with Lemmy. :D

9. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

:righton:

10. I, for one, would welcome and Iommi - Bonnet project.

11. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

Many bands have come back and resurrected their "legacies" from far, far worse assaults on the intelligence of their audience than this. A Deep Purple fanboy talking about "revolving doors" for musicians and singers has to be one the most priceless things you've contributed to the forum. And that is saying a lot! You know they actually even had Joe-Lynn Turner as their lead singer at one point, right?

This makes no sense. The Sabbath "reunion" happened well before this.

Uh ... :sigh: I think you should look at your own hand.

I am totally stoked for this release.

12. motorcitydave

13. mrlefty

mrlefty Forum Resident

Available for pre-order on some European sites, but hasn't shown up on Amazon... when it does, somebody post a link!

14. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Well, it could be pretty good. Graham can easily handle the really big epic material as stuff like Eyes of the World or Desert Song shows. As for JLT - if anyone heard the 3 records he did with the supergroup Mother's Army in the 90's (with Aunsley Dunbar and later Carmine Appice with Bob Daisley and Jeff Watson), they had tons of Sabbath vibe which worked out suprisingly well with JLT singing in a very different manner from his usual style.

15. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

16. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

I saw this when Iommi posted it just a bit ago, but it is hardly "the single." It's a little snippet.

17. motorcitydave

I meant to say that. Sorry about that.

18. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Nice...can't wait! If this is the direction, get Geezer back and just call it what it is...SABBATH!!! Hard and Heavy and BORN AGAIN! :)

19. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

And they can call themeselves Born Again easily!:D Now what is Bev Bevan doin' these days?:D

20. dphilippov

dphilippov Forum Resident

Yep, especially with his laughter:edthumbs:

21. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

22. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

Iommi, Gillan, Lord, Newsted, McBrain... I am SO sold! :thumbsup:

23. Robert Haagsma

I think this little bit is a good representation of the style of the two songs.

24. Robert Haagsma

I did not have the time for many questions about Born Again. I did interview Ian Gillan a few times before and his recollections of the BA time are hilarious. In short: he never felt comfortable about being in a heavy metal band, het hated the tour that followed (especially since he had to learn all the words to new songs and he already had to struggle to remember all the DP lyrics) and most of all he hated the album cover.

When I pulled the LP out of the bag he acted more amused, I guess because Tony was sitting next to him. He did mention that BA has gained a cult status in certain circles. So maybe he warmed to it after all these years.

25. zen

zen Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.