White Album: As Is? Or Should It Have Been Shorter?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tuco, Jun 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

If another band had released this album, people wouldn't spend as much time and effort to learn to "appreciate" it, nor would they praise it for having "warts."

2. bruckner1

bruckner1 New Member

I made my own compilation of the "White Album" which turned out to be about 50 minutes long. There's so much there that, had it truly been the collaborative effort that their earlier albums seemed to be, wouldn't have even been released.

At least it gave a good foretaste of what the solo albums were to be.

3. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I wouldn't change the audio content any, but I do wish they hadn't chickened out on the cover. including the photographs, lyrics and poster was a real shame. that would have been so much more impressive if it was just the white embossed cover on the outside, and the four black and white photos mirrored by the song titles on the inside.

also, the labels should have been black and white (a la the POB albums) and the inner sleeves should have been white.

the first time I got this and opened it up I was so disapointed that it wasn't as minimalist as I had hoped.

4. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

I would have rather it been just on solid LP at the ttime. Then a follow up version six months later! Just my own opinion, but it's a done deal. So I guess we leave it as is now for sure! :D

3rd Uncle Bob likes this.
  5. Terry Gould

Terry Gould Forum Resident

Its impossible to fit the White Album on a single cd without making cuts. I would go in the other direction and make this a 3 cd boxed set: 1) Stereo tracks less a few songs 2) Mono tracks less a few songs but including the songs that were cut from the Stereo cd and 3) include singles of the period, anthology tracks and other unreleased tracks, and outfakes. In other words, I would rather be more complete than less.

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Out of curiosity, what are your other contenders for most overrated?

7. Oatsdad

I wouldn't change it. Sure, a one-record version would probably be the Beatles' greatest album, but so what? That's only good for Internet geek arguments and bragging rights. If I don't like parts of it, I can skip them...

8. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

I think that's the point of Revolution 9: to give you the creeps. In that case, it works perfectly!

9. Stateless

Stateless New Member

It's great. It sold. It's the bloody Beatles WHITE ALBUM. Shut Up!-Paul McCartney :winkgrin:

jl151080 and Zack like this.
  10. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Off the top of my head, Abbey Road, The Bends, Moondance, The Joshua Tree, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway...

Understanding that 'over-rated' does not necessarily mean 'bad', just 'receives more acclaim than is merited'. Listing good to very good records, like those listed above, among the all-time greats is to overrate them. IMO, The Beatles is a sprawling mess of mostly unlistenable songs, and to find it regularly ranked at or near the top of 'Best Record Ever' surveys strikes me as a severe act of over-rating.

I recognize that this is a minority opinion.

B___

11. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

The impact this album had at the time was extraordinary. The stark white cover, the back-to-balls-out rock approach which focused more on performances than overdubs, and the intimacy of some of the performances (Julia, Blackbird) worked in brilliant contrast to the previous 18 months' product (Pepper, Revolver, MMT SFF/PL, etc). It was a perfect album at the time, and remains so today. Think of it as a photo album, some shots are professionally posed and others are amateurish and candid, but they're all in there for a reason: you love the feelings they create.

The fact that the Beatles were nodding to the Beach Boys (on the opening song, no less) was *huge*. Revolution 9 blew more minds than all of Pepper, MMT and Revolver put together. And what was it with these "nasty Beatles"??? The near nude pic on the poster, Doing It in the road and all... Sexy who?? "I Need A Fix"" and Mother Superior quoted in the same song?

The White Album is the one I would take to that distant deserted island, always has been, always will be.

12. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Mostly unlistenable songs? You really cannot listen to more than half of the songs on the White Album? Do help me understand this statement, do you not care for their voices?

13. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

Had this one been released as a single disc LP, we would all be foaming at the mouth for any and all cuts that were made during the sessions but not released.

Should it have been one disc? Should that western have been 'The Magnificent Six'? And why isn't it 'The 38 Steps'? There is little point to such discussion, actually.

14. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Was Wondering when Wonderwall would write.
    "It's great. It sold. It's the bloody Beatles WHITE ALBUM...", should have been a choice on this poll! :agree:

15. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I have to agree with Paul McCartney, as quoted in the signature up there. Anyway, the songs I'd have left off hearing it years ago I couldn't do without now, so I'll take the whole thing as is. Can't even imagine it being different at this point!

16. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident

Here's the REAL White Album:

Wild Honey Pie
    Rocky Raccoon
    The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill
    Martha My Dear
    Long Long Long
    Birthday
    Honey Pie
    Don't Pass Me By
    Mother Nature's Son
    Savoy Truffle
    Revolution 9
    Goodnight

That's all they needed.

Peace Love and you know I'm kidding, yes?
    Marky

17. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I'll give it a shot. I'm unclear about the politicking that may have influenced track selection and positioning, so this lineup may have been unfeasible:

A SIDE
    1. Helter Skelter
    2. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    3. Happiness Is A Warm Gun
    4. Martha My Dear
    5. Don't Pass Me By
    6. Back in the U.S.S.R.

B SIDE
    1. Yer Blues
    2. Dear Prudence
    3. Why don't we do it in the road?
    4. Julia
    5. Blackbird
    6. I'm So Tired

18. Oatsdad

Understood. I've always felt that way about "Sgt. Pepper's". Good album? Sure. Innovative and influential? Definitely. Best album ever? Nope - not even in the BEATLES' top five IMO.

"Tommy" would be up there as overrated as well, and as much as I love Bowie, I'd lump "Hunky Dory" and "Ziggy" in there. I also don't get the "Pet Sounds" cult...

3rd Uncle Bob likes this.
  19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...a triple LP would've been nice! a bit more George and Ringo shinning moments!

Brother Maynard likes this.
  20. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

I think it should have been two separate albums. The White and the Whiter albums.

WHITE:

1)Birthday
    2)Dear Prudence
    3)Mother Nature's Son
    4)Don't Pass Me By
    5)Blackbird
    6)Piggies
    7)Rocky Racoon
    8)Happiness Is A Warm Gun
    9)Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
    10)Cry Baby Cry
    11)Wild Honey Pie
    12)Honey Pie
    13)Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me and My Monkey
    14)I Will
    15)Julia

WHITER:

1)Back In The U.S.S.R.
    2)Yer Blues
    3)Glass Onion
    4)Savoy Truffle
    5)Revolution 1
    6)The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill
    7)While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    8)Helter Skelter
    9)Long Long Long
    10)Martha My Dear
    11)I'm So Tired
    12)Why Do We Do It In The Road?
    13)Sexy Sadie
    14)What's The New Mary Jane
    15)Good Night

21. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

I dig "Revolution #9."

22. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

23. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

well, it probably would have sounded better. six fifteen minute sides instead of four twenty-two minute sides? that woulda been tasty.

more George and Ringo? nah, they already have more than enough on there. the only thing the White Album needs is more Yoko! :agree:

come to think of it, 'Yellow Submarine' coulda done with a whole lot more Yoko as well.

24. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

There 'ya go!

Exactly.

I say leave it the way it is. Much of the material works so well in conjunction with the other songs, that by pruning it, it just wouldn't be the "White Album."

25. The only change I might have made would have been to replace "Revolution 9" with "What's the New Mary Jane". It was more of a "song" while probably still being spacey enough to have satisfied John (and Yoko). :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.