Which Edition "Bridge Over Troubled Water" Simon & Garfunkel?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KatCassidy, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

I wonder why Sony does not re-mix this album. If the multitracks exist. A couple of decades ago I read that the multies exist, but it was considered to difficult to re-mix maintaining the original sound of the album.

Linnaeus Nightingale likes this.
  2. ggggreenisaac

ggggreenisaac Brutalised by bass / Terrorised by treble

You have to be careful though, as in my experience the higher-DR DADCs that have the same catalog numbers and barcodes as those with lower DR are the ones that have had digital reverb added. Though naturally whether this is a good or bad thing is entirely subjective.

ricks and Linnaeus Nightingale like this.
  3. Linnaeus Nightingale

Linnaeus Nightingale Forum Resident

Thanks for the information on reverb, which is something I would likely not favor. Perhaps this alone accounts for the higher dynamic range numbers of the Austrian disc. Did reverb make its way into some vinyl cuts as well? In this regard, I have noticed at least two distinct masters on vinyl in Dynamic Range Database. Unfortunately, most entries in the database for Bridge Over Troubled Water do not provide peak and RMS information for individual tracks, making it difficult to discern clear differences among releases. Again, I do wonder if some CD iterations possess the 35 DP mastering but with pre-emphasis removed and nothing else changed.
    Interestingly, I acquired the MasterSound gold disc just the other day, ran dynamic range numbers on it, and quickly realized the Anesini master was an upward level-adjusted version of the earlier gold disc, this all before I read of this fact in another thread. However, the numbers are not so perfectly clean as to suggest only an increase of a couple of decibels. I agree some other tweaks are afoot, accounting for minor deviations in numbers beyond a simple bump. I haven't yet compared the discs for sound but shall do that soon. Never a dull moment.

4. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

My choice is the current CD.

Pelvis Ressley likes this.
  5. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

Can you give us the catalogue number and link to Discogs page for your choice please?

6. ggggreenisaac

Here's the reverb-drenched edition I had:

================================================================================
    Analyzed: Simon and Garfunkel / Bridge Over Troubled Water [462488 2 / Matrix: 'CDCBS-63699 52 | DADC AUSTRIA']
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR12 -3.41 dB -20.66 dB 4:55 01-Bridge Over Troubled Water
    DR12 -5.98 dB -21.96 dB 3:09 02-El Condor Pasa
    DR14 -1.37 dB -18.34 dB 2:55 03-Cecilia
    DR11 -3.12 dB -17.34 dB 2:38 04-Keep The Customer Satisfied
    DR13 -6.66 dB -22.12 dB 3:45 05-So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright
    DR12 -1.60 dB -20.31 dB 5:13 06-The Boxer
    DR13 -2.48 dB -18.07 dB 3:18 07-Baby Driver
    DR12 -2.11 dB -18.51 dB 4:02 08-The Only Living Boy In New York
    DR12 -2.71 dB -17.59 dB 2:45 09-Why Don't You Write Me
    DR12 -4.61 dB -18.66 dB 2:56 10-Bye Bye Love
    DR10 -6.67 dB -21.86 dB 1:49 11-Song For The Asking

Number of tracks: 11
    Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 1411 kbps
    Codec: CDDA
    ================================================================================

If you do a search for 'Simon & Garfunkel' / 'reverb' on the DR Database, you can see my entries for Parsley... and Bookends as well.

7. al2813

al2813 Forum Resident

I am reviving this thread, as I am struggling to find a good sounding LP version of this album. On all other S&G LPs I did pretty well between US and UK OGs (orange CBS / Two eye columbias). I still miss a Booekends 1960s issue but even the 1970s I have sound pretty good. Bridge Over troubled water is another story. UK orange CBS, Dutch orange CBS, CBS Half speed masterosund issue, all sound muddy muffled - sound just bad and much worse than any of the other simon and garfunkel albums I have. I've already read posts here of people going through numerous LPs before finding anything decent, so at least I am not alone (the mastersound I got yesterday was probably the 6 or 7th copy I bought - all bad).

Jarleboy and kevinfree like this.
  8. kevinfree

kevinfree Senior Member

The only combination of quiet vinyl and good sound I've found is the One-Step. I ripped it to FLAC, though, since I don't like how broken up the listening experience is at 45 rpm. I like the sound of some of the two-eyes I've had more, but many are noisy even unplayed. Such a drag when you are hoping for a good one and hear the ticks in the first cut ... I tried the 1984 MoFi but it didn't sound good on my humble system. I wish someone would put out a good sounding quiet vinyl version at 33 rpm.

9. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I haven't played them in years, but my recollection is that the Classic 45 > MFSL 1980s LP > Mastersound LP > My c. 1982 USA LP.

You might want to consider the Quad LP, which is a remix, of course. It's good, and is a definitely-different sonic rendering of the album.
    Isn't that CD a clone of the beloved-by-many 35DP-14 Japanese CD? Does the Japanese disc have reverb added? (I own it, but don't have it with me.)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2023
    fredblue likes this.
  10. ggggreenisaac

It's not, the 35DP-14 is of course the first-ever CD edition of the album, and was reissued as 32DP-286 in 1985, both with pre-emphasis. It was released again in 1988 as 25DP-5135, only this time with the pre-emphasis removed. None of them has the added reverb.

11. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I asked only because it appears that the disc surface reads "DIDP 14," but the matrix does not indicate a tie-in.
    R-11733445-1581317719-3721.jpg

12. ggggreenisaac

Oh right, yes I think when it comes to US and European CDs catalog numbers alone aren't enough to go on, as so many variations got released with no real information on what was released when. So the matrices would seem to be what one needs to look at, though until someone catalogs exactly what mastering is on each matrix variant, we're not really in any better a situation...

13. ggggreenisaac

I recently acquired the 1988 Japanese reissue 25DP-5135 (Simon And Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water = 明日に架ける橋 ) and it appears to be what you're looking for. It has a very nice full sound, even moreso than the 32DP-286 with the pre-emphasis removed, and is now my go-to copy.

14. AL01

AL01 Eh?

How does it compare to vinyl releases?

15. ggggreenisaac

Unfortunately, I don't own any.

AL01 likes this.
  16. AndrewSlattery

AndrewSlattery Forum Resident

My OG Japanese Quad sounds incredible. Excellent sound stage and very 3D. Fantastic vinyl too.

The One-Step blows it away though. It's easily one of the best sounding records in my collection. Also the most I've ever paid for a record, and it was worth every cent

ricks likes this.
  17. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

I’m comforted somewhat when there are numerous different opinions offered as to which is the best sounding editions. It’s a good sign that an album was competently recorded and that there are numerous acceptable and pleasing editions to choose from.

18. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Yeah but the mix of "The Boxer" renders the Classic Drum hits anemic and far off in the distance. Other than that track it's a very nice quad mix.

---------------------------------------------------

Bridge on the 24/192 2014 Complete Albums Collection is excellent and IMHO is more full in mid-range and low end than the 25DP. Over all it's more full and robust and yes its just as Dynamic as the 25DP - that said the album mixes of Bridge really aren't all that dynamic to begin with.

Code:
    Bridge Over Troubled Water [2014 HDTracks 24-192]
    DR9       -1.03 dB   -15.60 dB      4:56 01-Bridge over Troubled Water
    DR10      -2.78 dB   -17.42 dB      3:09 02-El Condor Pasa / If I Could
    DR10      -0.09 dB   -12.50 dB      2:55 03-Cecilia
    DR8        0.00 dB   -10.66 dB      2:38 04-Keep the Customer Satisfied
    DR12      -2.87 dB   -17.19 dB      3:43 05-So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright
    DR10      -2.02 dB   -16.04 dB      5:13 06-The Boxer
    DR11       0.00 dB   -13.79 dB      3:17 07-Baby Driver
    DR10       0.00 dB   -13.29 dB      4:02 08-The Only Living Boy in New York
    DR10       0.00 dB   -12.57 dB      2:46 09-Why Don't You Write Me
    DR10       0.00 dB   -11.82 dB      2:53 10-Bye Bye Love
    DR10      -3.01 dB   -17.56 dB      1:51 11-Song for the Asking

Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
    ggggreenisaac, lukpac and c-eling like this.