Which Edition "Bridge Over Troubled Water" Simon & Garfunkel?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KatCassidy, Sep 19, 2009.

1. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

Upthread.

2. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Funny coincidence to find this thread today after buying a U.S. Quad LP yesterday in great shape and only $7.00! I've only listened to side one so far but it sounds great to my ears. I have a two eye 360 Sound Stereo pressing and a Half Speed Mastered Lp too but that side one of the quad really impressed me last night. I'm going to get to side two tonight and maybe compare it with those other two if I have time.

3. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Do you have to have some special equipment to listen to the Quad? What is Quad anyway?

marcfeld69 likes this.
  4. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

I think this may be my favorite album...

5. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Love that Classic 45. It's sounds like a different album. Picked one up recently.

LeeS likes this.
  6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The Quad LP is a matrix SQ system job. OK but not discrete (discrete beats matrix any day). In spite of that SQ was the most practical Quad LP system in the real world.

7. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

+1

Another vote for the Sony Mastersound Gold CD.

It's among the very best Sony Mastersound Gold CD's and the best sounding "Bridge Over Troubled Water" on digital media.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  8. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

9. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I'll stick with my 1B/1A pressing, it works for me.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I'm listening to it in stereo btw not four channel. I had a friend in the
    mid-70s that had a quad set up, Sansui I believe so I heard a few albums in that format but not BOTW. I bought the record just to see what the sound quality was like (very good).

marcfeld69 likes this.
  11. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

So after hearing the MFSL vinyl I can confidently state that both the Classic 45 and the Classic 180 gram beat it by a mile. The MFSL BOTW sounds muted to me somehow. The music sounds far to the background compared to the vocals. I don't know if that is the right term. Does anyone else have a similar take on the MFSL? What about it makes it inferior to the Classic run?

12. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Mastersound for CD, 45RPM Classic for vinyl.

Everything else seems to sound blahh.

Blue Collar Man likes this.
  13. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Sony Mastersound Gold CD

LeeS likes this.
  14. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Anyone care to comment on the Sundazed?

15. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I've been skimming through the BOTW threads and see this mentioned a few times. I'd like to get a copy of this Millenium edition. Can someone give me the cat # from the spine so that I can confirm I'm getting what I want with ebay/marketplace sellers?

16. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Samples of MFSL and Classic still available in the link posted in 2009 in this very thread, here: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=4913322#post4913322

Matt

17. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I love my 45 rpm Classic, even though a couple of the discs are so dished that the cartridge looks like its surfing down the face of a wave. I've considered buying one of those outer clamps just for this album. Wonder what a flat one would sound like . . . . .

Is this the same as the "Mastersound"? I assume that it is.

Attached Files:

18. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

(bump) - can someone tell me what the cat # is of this?

19. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

I recently found a UK organge label of this with A10, A11 stampers (I assume this is a later press). Can anyone tell me if there is an A1, B1 UK orange label press of this LP (and how it sounds?) Also, how does is sound compared to a UK pressing with higher stampers like mine? I'm wondering if my search shall continue...

marcfeld69 likes this.
  20. montejay

montejay Forum Resident

:agree:

Picked up a mint longbox gold mastersound.
    The percussion parts on the 'Boxer' sound so good and dynamic. On 'Keep' the horns at the end have no hint of harshness. Best it ever sounded to my ears.

21. cordobaman

cordobaman Rich Corinthian Leather

I've just done a compare of the Mastersound CD to the new Blu-Spec 2 cd. The Blu-2 sounds more "Japanese", the highs more pronounced. The Blu-2 brings the vocals more up-front. The Mastersound has a more warm, analog sound to it. Maybe because it"s what I've been use to hearing for the past xx years, but I think I prefer the Mastersound. Anyone else buy/try the Blu-2 yet?

22. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

It's here but I haven't opened it yet.

Pelvis Ressley likes this.
  23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Im not a fan of the Classic pressings. Neither the 45 or LP. I enjoy my early Columbia original pressing best.

I like the Mastersound cd as far as digital.

24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

25. honzator

honzator Forum Resident

That was not a very good decision (IMO). 35DP version was mastered with pre-emphasis. I checked my goldfaced disc with latest EAC and nothing. However flags were stored in subcode and EAC 0.95 pb3 showed tag right after checking manually. The thing you describe here is usual sound of not properly decoded cd by your player. Or you had only some cdr copy?! This cd is incredibly smooth, warm, very cranckable (without loosing any smoothness at all) and even more “analogish” sounding than Mastersound. (and I hear both) 35DP is my personal favorite of all versions I heard. Great cd for sure.

Linnaeus Nightingale likes this.