Which Edition "Bridge Over Troubled Water" Simon & Garfunkel?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KatCassidy, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Is it just my imagination, or does the original US Columbia CD have a layer of digital reverb added? (most noticeable on Song For The Asking)

2. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Simon & Garfunkel Bridge Over Troubled Water MFSL LP*

Has any one here heard this? What are your thoughts? Is this pressing superior to a Columbia original?

3. svoegtlin

svoegtlin Forum Resident

I have the MasterSound Gold CD version of the album.. I guess I never realized MFSL did a pressing too..

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

UK 1st pressing on the orange Columbia label here.

Dr. Funk likes this.
  5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I like the US Columbia 360 1A/1A best. Or the UK CBS orange labels. Really hard to find a quiet 360 Sound original, I'm still looking for a good one. Sundazed recent LP reissue is very good sounding. Not quite as good as an original. Myke, Miss KDA FM/KDF FM. One of the best things on radio when I lived in Smyrna. Also loved WGFX when it was classic rock in the late 1980's.

6. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

I have 2 sealed copies of it, never opened. I also have the 2 classic releases (33 and 45) that absolutly rock the socks off of any digital release! Do yourself a favor and get a classic for (probably) a lot less scratch.

7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

8. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Wow, thanks so much for this link. That is so cool. My personal favorites were the Classic 45 and number three which I guess is a Columbia half-speed, both of which beat the MFSL. This was really helpful.

I can't seem to find the Classic 45 anywhere though. Must be OOP huh?

Thanks again!

9. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

One more question. I notice that the Classic 33 rpm Bridge LP is still available (albeit super expensive) from some outlets. How does that compare to the 45 rpm (which seems to be selling for $200-$300 on Ebay)?

10. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

How does the 33 compare with the 45?

11. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Classics 45 by far.

12. gmku

gmku Active Member

I have the original 2-eye, too, a copy I've owned since the day it came out. It's been through a few different systems of mine, and the vinyl still sounds great. There was something about that vinyl back then--strong and durable.

I don't have any comparison pressings, but the first pressing sounds great to me.

13. Scott Wheeler

It compares well. Not as good but still the next best thing. Well worth getting

14. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Two questions:

How does the Classic 33 RPM compare with the original Columbia 360 Sound pressing?

How does the Classic 180 gram compare w/ the Classic 200 gram?

Thank you to anyone who answers for indulging my obsessiveness on this topic...

15. Scott Wheeler

IMO the Classic 33 blows the original U.S. Columbia away. Mine is 180 grams. Never heard the 200. Unless it is noisy it should be the same or at least very close.

16. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Thanks for the response. If you can say, how does the Classic blow the original away?

17. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Can anyone here tell me why the Classis 45 is 4 one sided lps rather than 2 two sided lps Does the sound benefit? What is the benefit of having one sided lps

18. Scott Wheeler

sorry I missed this post. I'd say mostly it lifts a veil of grunge. Sounds much more there. This grunge is particularly noticable in the louder mo0re densely arranged portions like the last part of The Boxer. On the Classics you can really hear into the recording in these passages.

19. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Thanks Scott - I just purchased the 180 gram version. Can't wait to hear it. I have the original Columbia version 1 stampers and I agree it can sound kind I'd murky. I'm also keeping my eyes open for a copy of the 45 rpm version.

20. filper

filper Forum Resident

I've heard a digital copy of the quad. It is amazing how clear it sounds. :righton:

marcfeld69 likes this.
  21. Scott Wheeler

I tend to assume quad versions are inferior. I'll have to keep an eye out for this one. Are there different U.K and U.S. versions?

22. celtic1

celtic1 New Member

Anyone heard the Sundazed LP now on sale? Good price.

23. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Heard the Classic 45 rpm version of this for the first time last night. It was stunning. I think "So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright" benefitted the most from the treatment, but also Baby Driver" and "Why Don't You Write Me." I compared it with the 180 gram 33 rpm Classic pressing and the original 2-eye. It blew the original out of the water. I was surprised at how close the 33 rpm Classic was in quality to the 45 rpm. The 45 rpm was just a tad more expansive and open than the 33. It just felt like it had a little more room to breath (I don't know the technical term for any of this). The lack a big difference between the 33 and 45 rpm Classic's could be chocked up to my system though. What do you think?

In other thread a lot has been made about the mono 45s of these songs. To be honest, I'm not that into them. For example "Cecilia" and "Only Living Boy" seem to lose a lot of their magic in mono.

Next up I'm going to compare the Classic 45 rpm to the half-speed and MFSL (once I get my hands on them).

24. This album had been rumored for a hybrid SACD by MFSL until Sony decided to release the 40th anniversary edition themselves.

25. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I recently picked up the Mastersound. Seems like a little wonky on a few tracks but some like The Boxer are quite good. Very mixed feelings.