Which digital version of Waltz for Debby & Sunday at Village Vanguard do you prefer?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wie Gehts?, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. triple

triple Senior Member

Yes, the JVC VDJ-1536. Maybe I should open mine after all...

Goran

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

If I remember correctly that one was mastered by Joe Gastwirt. It wasn't my favourite version, I sold it.

3. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

While you did not ask specifically, consider the "The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings" 3 cd set. The sound quality is decent, it easily obtainable, reasonably priced and has all the surviving takes in chronological order.

More information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Complete_Village_Vanguard_Recordings,_1961

4. Larry Johnson

Larry Johnson Senior Member

5. I agree. I'm very happy with this box.

6. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

7. triple

triple Senior Member

What is your favourite version, Hans?

I am pretty shure it's not the K2, though. :laugh:

Goran

8. Wie Gehts?

Wie Gehts? New Member Thread Starter

Good luck in finding that. :(

9. triple

triple Senior Member

Tamaki Beck is also thrustworthy. Just change the prefix to - . :shake:

He is the man behind the K2 mini lp's, BTW.

Goran

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

As I've explained about 100 million times over the years, if you want to spend five bucks to hear the original Bill Evans Trio, get the OJC, it's fine. I play a copy of WALTZ FOR DEBBY/OJC in my car, sounds great. If you are an Audiophile and want an audiophile experience with this music you HAVE TO SPEND MORE, dig deeper and get other versions.

Not everyone in the world has 30 bucks to spend on 30 minutes of music, we realize that. You could buy 6 Bill Evans OJC's for the same money. It's not this or that, it's what you want out of the sound. That's why most of us are here, hashing this out instead of on some other music Forum that makes fun of us for just what we do in this thread; finding the best SOUNDING. We already know the music is wonderful. The point of threads like this is finding the best sounding versions. People laugh.....Until they upgrade their stereos. They stop laughing and start asking.....

jfeldt likes this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

Call Chad at Acoustic Sounds, he probably has a bunch of the old Gold CD's. I bet he has a pile of them that no one wants because they want the fuzzy SACD instead.

12. Wie Gehts?

I did, and they checked their database and the warehouse, and informed me that the last copy was sold over nine months ago.

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The AP gold disc, mastered by Doug Sax, is my preferred CD version of Waltz for Debby - see post #22.

For my favourite CD version of Sunday at the Village Vanguard, see post #24.

14. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

The box was also mastered with the K2 system as well.

15. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

Me too, I have both APO SACD's, and think they are good. I purchased the box for the extra tracks.

16. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Doug Sax's AP gold CD CAPJ 009 is the only digital version I've ever owned. Pure luck I guess.

17. Steve Hoffman

They couldn't give that sucker away for years. Now, it's gone with the wind?

Same like DCC, gotta grab them when they come out I guess...

18. George P

George P Notable Member

Or build a time machine. :righton:

19. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

On a side note: I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that the K2s in the numbered slipcases are actually the same mastering as the XRCDs just without the rest of the super-anal manufacturing process of the XRCDs. Can anyone confirm or refute that?

20. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

:agree: Got mine about ten years ago. Yet, Chad still had copies hanging around as of 9 months ago. Then someone suddenly asks here and they are gone, now the price is going to go the way of the Mancini Pure Gold CD. :D

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Which XRCD masterings are you referring to, the earlier ones done by Alan Yoshida at A&M Mastering Studios, Hollywood, or the later ones done in Japan?

22. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I'm note sure about that, just going from a vague memory. I thought all of the XRCDs were mastered in Japan :o Shows what I know :sigh:

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

No, all the early ones were mastered by Alan Yoshida at A&M, Hollywood.

24. triple

triple Senior Member

I guess not to this extent - we have clear winners now. ;)

Wie Gehts?, keep these threads coming, please. :)

At one time a few hours ago I believe there were 3 jazz-related threads like this on the first page, which is almost unheard of.

Goran

25. Wie Gehts?

I know we've been told time and again to "trust our own ears," but when Steve explains which version of a particular title sounds best and why, who can resist taking that as gospel? I can't. Thanks to Steve, we now know which versions of these two classic CDs to obtain if possible (the SATVV XRCD is still available at Acoustic Sounds, by the way; the guy on the telephone went to the warehouse to verify the JVC catalog number!), and thanks to J.A.W. we know the exact catalog numbers of these versions (which I find especially helpful when purchasing from Amazon Marketplace sellers).

Many thanks to those who freely share their expertise with people such as myself who love artists like Bill Evans and want to hear his genius presented in the best sound available. :thumbsup: :wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.