Where does Jimi Hendrix stand as one of the Blues greats?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tone, Apr 15, 2024.

1. DooDee

DooDee Forum Resident

"Duty" is a very serious word. Your duty is to substantiate your claims with evidence. For example, this video claims this is one of BB King's greatest ever guitar solos. Impeccible phrasing but its a bit repetitive to me & not communicating that much. I don't hear much of a narrative in the solo. I think the Jimi Hendrix Bleeding Heart I posted from Royal Albert Hall is very far beyond this BB King video in terms of pure blues.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
  2. Poetry1

Poetry1 Forum Resident

3. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I think that's a blues rock development -- Cream, Hendrix, turning blues into a platform for bravura rock solos. But I think the the idea of an extended, developing solo on the blues was a convention in jazz for a while, it just didn't necessarily make it onto record until the LP era. And certainly in the era of more extended jazz soloing making it on to record we got long developing solos on the blues, in the individual development interest of the original.

MoonPool and DooDee like this.
  4. Poetry1

Poetry1 Forum Resident

It seems you are uable to accept any other opinion then your own.
    I just stated my own - it does not invalidate yours.
    PERCEPTION OF ART IS NOT AN OBJECTIVE FACT.

I am a big Hendrix fan, btw.

Umbari likes this.
  5. DooDee

DooDee Forum Resident

I am happy for others to post substantiated opinions. Its your third post now of empty rhetoric.
    Cool video. Thanks. But I think Jimi is more deep & grieving. This Otis Rush video is a sort of 'bee-bop blues'. Very BB King style. Just blues licks. I don't here much of a story narrative in the guitar playing.

6. Poetry1

Poetry1 Forum Resident

7. Poetry1

Poetry1 Forum Resident

Thanks.
    The end point (in my opinion) is not to have you agree with me - or me with you.
    It is about exchanging views.
    If Jimi stays the best blues player in your opinion, it is perfectly fine. Like it is for others to think otherwise.

8. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Imo the greatest pure improvising electric blues guitarist to ever live

alanhed, CliffL, Tone and 1 other person like this.
  9. Poetry1

Poetry1 Forum Resident

10. DooDee

DooDee Forum Resident

Sure. This point sounds valid. However, I did post examples of Jimi playing very deep slow blues, such as Bleeding Heart or the intro to Once I Had A Woman. Personally, I've never heard a blues piece as sophisticated as Bleeding Heart (R.A.H). I once watched a tutorial video on it and the intro solo was only played in one scale position using a mininum of notes. Its all bends & stuff (and possibly changing from minor to major pentatonic key) doing the incredibly sensitive articulations. Thanks for the Coltrane. I dig Coltrane. :sigh:
    I dig Peter. One of my favourite guitarists. :sigh: Although, for me, Jimi has a deeper more realistic grief.

humpf and Crimson Witch like this.
  11. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

Blues is by nature a narrow construction. That was one side of Jimi. He had many: blues, psych, soul, funk, etc. He was an innovator. That being said, I like his straight forward blues aporoach at times.

DooDee likes this.
  12. Poetry1

Poetry1 Forum Resident

I agree with all points here too.

13. DooDee

DooDee Forum Resident

I also dig this Peter track below. :sigh: Fabulous solo but occasionally gets stuck thinking about what to play next. The 4:25 just nails it! :agree: but maybe peaks too early. I don't know. Eric Clapton said in an interview about Jimi that Jimi (unlike him, Eric) generally could not be discerned thinking about what he would play next. When Eric does those extended solo in Detroit Ballroom, I did notice at times Eric pausing to think about what he would play next.

MoonPool likes this.
  14. Poetry1

Poetry1 Forum Resident

Jimi was more adventurous and experimental - Clapton became more of a blues purist in his soloing in the Dominos and after when performing blues tracks.
    Of course, there is blues dna in all of his solos to a degree, even if they are not blues solos per se, just by using the pentatonic scale and style of vibrato and bending. Same with Hendrix, in my opinion.

15. DooDee

DooDee Forum Resident

Cool old fashioned track from November 1968 but I think Jimi's Bleeding Heart at Royal Heart (Feb 1969) has similar style elements to the intro here but is far more sophisticated, creative, deep, anguished & virtuoso. The second solo of Albert here is very BB King (or vice versa). Jimi is on another level. I think Jimi did some genuine blues reinventing, despite his limited output. The structure of some of his lengthy blues solos (such as the same old Red Houses & Hear My Train) is beyond what Albert King is doing (recycling the same licks). I just haven't yet heard a blues better than Jimi's Bleeding Heart at Royal Heart. I've known this song for 40 years.

Nice to chat & exchange some videos. Its bedtime here. Good night.

16. Poetry1

Poetry1 Forum Resident

Nice to chat & exchange some videos. Its bedtime here. Good night.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, same here.
    good night .:thumbsup:

17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

To be honest I think he was more interesting than blues.

18. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

The other "Voodoo Chile"...one of the key tracks on Electric Ladyland.

GimiSomeTruth likes this.
  19. Tone

Tone Senior Member Thread Starter

Well said .... Jimi really did something different and original with the blues, as did other notable blues artist before him

Crimson Witch likes this.
  20. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

He's not a great Blues artist. Sure he's a great guitarist and he could play the Blues, but it's not like he has anything that would compare him to what Eric Clapton did on Mayall's Blues Breakers album.

The examples above are Hendrix mostly doing solos to move the blues form through the song. Sure his music is done in style of Blues, but they are not really what I would consider a full understanding of what most people want to hear with the Blues. The Blues isn't all about being dazzling, there should be a lot of rhythm work. The repeated forms of the same lick are crucial to the Blues. Now take Buddy Guy on Junior Welles Hoodoo Man Blues album, there is huge contrast in what they are doing. On the track We're Ready, Guy and Welles could with all likelihood just trade licks for hours on this single song. You're not going to record this stuff in the studio, but they could take a 3-1/2 minute song in the live setting and extend well beyond and you wouldn't hear a complaint in the audience. This is the Blues to me. If you listen to Stevie Ray Vaughan, he gets it too. He knows the subtleties of the Blues through and through. And Hendrix doesn't really have this kind of stuff in any of is recordings to be considered a great Blues artist. Sorry, Hendrix is great. But he really doesn't show me a lot in the Blues other than a lot of potential.

21. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

It depends too on where we're drawing these lines on "blues" and "narrative." I mean Paul Gonsalves famous 20 some odd choruse on Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue... the piece is a blues, and the solo is certainly extended. "Narrative," I mean, that's hard to line out but it's compositional enough that David Murray later came along and orchestrated as it if it was a composition of its own:

22. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Or Sonny Rollins "Blue 7"

23. Howlin, Muddy, Buddy, etc., believed Hendrix lived and breathed the US blues tradition. They understood he understood the blues just like them( Jim Crow, cuttin heads, chitlin circuit, etc.,) and because he reached a larger audience than any blues man ever had they held him to a higher standard. Jimi wasn’t a blues rocker. He was a black musician who played the blues, jazz, r&b, soul, gospel, etc., and rock. Hendrix was the last amongst those of the blues who could be seen of the lineage of the sharecropper walking across the fields with his acoustic to taking the blues into modern electric times.

Jimi Hendrix: Born Under A Bad Sign

24. alanhed

alanhed Forum Resident

He clearly could have played ANYTHING he wanted to. I think he would have eventually jammed with all the greats. Miles, Jeff Beck, McLaughlin, Clapton, B.B., Buddy, SRV, Carlos.

25. Poetry1

Poetry1 Forum Resident

it would have been interesting to have Jimi play with Keith Emerson too, I think they had plans to work together.

alanhed likes this.