Where does Jimi Hendrix stand as one of the Blues greats?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tone, Apr 15, 2024.

1. Tone

Tone Senior Member Thread Starter

Jimi was such an innovative rock guitarist that folks sometimes forget his great contributions to the blues lineage…. As electric as his blues are, he really captured the feel of those deep blues that came out of the delta swamps and the cottonfields.

Crungy, Icethorn, Suncola and 4 others like this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Hard to say as he never released an all blues LP. But his assimilation of blues into his music can not be denied, Red House, Hear My Train gives him some ranking.

3. Brainstorm

Brainstorm Forum Resident

Yep, great blues guitarist, but he was SO much more, too. Man, he was just starting to realise what he could become musically when he passed.

MoonPool, Suncola and kees1954 like this.
  4. NYSPORTSFAN

NYSPORTSFAN Forum Resident

I actually prefer Cream "Spoonful" which was recorded in September of 1966, but Hendrix was more than a blues rock player. Hendrix used feedback like it was a classical instrument.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2024
    Icethorn and Brainstorm like this.
  5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I guess it all depends on how one is going to define blues.

Undoubtedly Hendrix was a master, and he certainly had blues in the mix, but it's hard for me to classify him as a blues guitarist

6. mark winstanley

I'll take Howlin Wolf's Spoonful over all comers lol

7. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

Exactly. B.B. King was asked if he thought Jimi was a Blues musician. He said "I think he was a great musician. Period."

8. NYSPORTSFAN

Jimi Hendrix Experience "Red House" 1967

I notice similarities to Led Zeppelin "You Shook Me" but this is before Led Zeppelin.

9. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

I always wondered what Jimi would have sounded like without a Trio.If he had gone down to Memphis and Stax Records or Muscle Shoals to record with the great musicians from those studios.
    Of course he was already playing Blues and R&B way before the Experience.
    This is such a great performance here from 1965 and probably with Curtis Knight and this is not the same performance from Georges Club release.
    Jimi sounds so good here with this funky band :)

10. GimiSomeTruth

GimiSomeTruth Forum Resident

None other than BB King acknowledged that Jimi ‘played the blues and played them well’.

Jimi is/ was untouchable with blues, rock, and soul guitar playing. He was not human.

11. NYSPORTSFAN

Jimi was a great blues player, but he makes a guitar sound like symphony on his own. He was heading toward funk rock before he passed.

CliffL and linklinc11 like this.
  12. mark winstanley

I have no doubt Jimi could have done great work with a big band, but part of what made him stand out was the sonic freedom afforded by the three piece.
    There are fewer harmonic limitations when playing with just a bass and drums

Ziggster and unfunkterrible like this.
  13. Tone

Tone Senior Member Thread Starter

GimiSomeTruth and DooDee like this.
  14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

He was a fantastic blues player, but it was only one aspect of his artistry, and he extended the form beyond the basics.
    I think comparisons to white players are moot; Jimi was a blues original while Clapton and co were merely imitators.

I also think he superceded most of his African American inspirations - the three Kings etc. could only do one thing, Jimi could do all their things and added more on top :).

Tuck1977 likes this.
  15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The soul element of Hendrix often gets overlooked and it's a big part of him. He was very influenced by Curtis Mayfield.

MoonPool, unfunkterrible, DTK and 3 others like this.
  16. DooDee

DooDee Forum Resident

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
    Tone likes this.
  17. Poetry1

Poetry1 Forum Resident

As a big blues fan, I wholeheartedly dissagree. I feel many other artists from the genre fit that description as well as him, if not better.
    Of course, it is all up to personal opinion.

18. DooDee

DooDee Forum Resident

Unsubstantiated claim. :rolleyes:

19. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

Very, very high IMHO. Beneath the feedback, distortion, sustain, sound effects, hype……a fine, fine blues player.

Voodoo Chile (Slight Return), for one, is maximum Delta. Would make a great Mississippi-swamp-evening-back-porch acoustic number.
    The long version is …….blues.

Tone and DooDee like this.
  20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

upper tier.

21. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

22. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

One of the blues greats? Nowhere. I mean, he was a great performer of the blues. But I don't really think he was a major figure in the development of the blues, unless one wants to parse blues-rock as part of the lineage of blues history, which is fair, and then in the context of the development of blues-rock he was a pivotal figure. He contributed to the development of the fusion of blues and psychedelic and post-psychedelic art rock that was popular in the 1960s and 1970s and has been a continual thread in rock music since then (not that blues wasn't always part of rock and roll). In terms of "contribution to the lineage" -- which to me is an historical question more than an aesthetic one -- that's where his major contribution lies. Very significant if one values blues-rock as an important development in the blues lineage.

23. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

A great Blues artist and much more, imo :edthumbs:.

24. DooDee

DooDee Forum Resident

25. Poetry1

Poetry1 Forum Resident

Of course, unless you are unable to change your mind, none would help. Art is a subjective thing, as I said.
    It is not my duty to agree with you. Nor is it your to agree with me.
    None of our opinions are absolute truths - you prefaced your opinion by saying "to me" - that is the key here.

Umbari and BluesOvertookMe like this.