When will they fix the New Order screwups?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DJ Phoenix, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

2. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

Low-life (Only bonus disc bad):
    Bad: 256463370-0/2.2 V02
    Good: R2 516184-2.2 RE-1

Technique:
    Bad: 256469369-7/1 V01 (Disc 1) / 256469369-7/2 V01 (Disc 2)
    Good: R2 516187-2.1 RE-1 (Disc 1) / R2 516187-2.2 RE-1 (Disc 2)

Just as a quick note:
    - No American copies were distributed with the dodgy mastering; the release was recalled before reaching the shops.
    - Faulty European discs were replaced by Rhino with good American discs.
    - The matrix codes for the fixed European versions - if they exist - are unknown. There are corrected copies on European shelves but they could easily contain imported US discs.

3. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

I got the replacement discs through Rhino, but I'm wondering if the corrected Low-Life that hit the shops has the same stereo drop on "Sunrise"? Rhino didn't send a corrected disc for CD1.

4. Goratrix

Goratrix Well-Known Member

with the exception of Technique, the first discs are the same on the corrected versions, so the Sunrise glitch is still there, sadly :(

5. Don S

Don S Forum Resident

You are awesome! Exactly what I needed. Thank you :thumbsup:

6. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

7. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

What was the fault with Technique Disc 1? I don't remember there being one - and I was the one who initially started the storm regarding the screw-ups [we get generally new releases here three days earlier than the rest of Europe].

8. Goratrix

Goratrix Well-Known Member

There was none. As far as I can remember from reading the neworder.com forums at that time, no one knew why they changed Technique and not the others (especially Low Life with that stupid Sunrise glitch).

9. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

Assuming that the screw-ups have been corrected by now, how is the sound on the remasters?

I have only Substance on CD (Quest 1987). In the 80s, I had Low Life, Power Corruption & Lies, Brotherhood, and Technique on cassette tape.

I don't spin vinyl so its down to either the original versions of the CDs or the new deluxe editions (2008-09).

10. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

In short: Loud and no real improvement over the original pressings.

11. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

Thats disappointing.

One last question. Is the bonus material worth it? I mean assuming one is a New Order fan but does not have the originals, would you fork over the extra money to buy the new expanded editions or just look for the old versions?

12. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

Not really - a lot of them are either badly transferred or aren't what they say on the tin - the Low-life CD, for instance, doesn't feature the original 12" version of Shellshock but the Substance edit, which is over two minutes shorter. Technique's bonus disc features some weird remix of Run 2 but excludes the original 12" mix.

There's far too much detail to go into here but I'll send you a PM.

13. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

My corrected version of "Low Life", purchased in the shops, doesn't have the Sunrise glitch (or at least it is no longer very noticeable).

14. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Isn't the problem with these remastered sets is that a lot of the original masters once held by Factory Records, have gone missing since the label's dissoloution?

15. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

i didn't notice it either on the Japanese issue

16. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

In terms of the bonus material, the standout for me is the bonus disc for Movement. Those tracks are pretty much essential and equal (or top) the main album.

17. SeventhTime

SeventhTime Well-Known Member

I must say with these that with the exception of Technique (which sounded great to begin with). The remasters are an improvement over the originals. The originals were way too thin. I did a test with Low-Life with both versions equalised to the same sound level, and I could pick out the remaster v the original each time, and I prefer the fuller sound of the remaster.

Technique though they got perfect first time around

18. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Did you de-emphasise the original Low Life before comparing? Or did you use a CD that didn't have pre-emphasis?

19. SeventhTime

Didn't have pre-emphasis. I probably exaggerate, the originals aren't unlistenable or anything, I just prefer the re-master.

Low Life was the one where I think the difference was most noticeable, the others not so much.

20. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Okay, thanks. I see on the DR database that the first 4 tracks are quite heavily compressed on the remaster. So I'll stick with the original.

kevin5brown likes this.
  21. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Wild speculation here, but I assume that's probably because 'Low-Life' came out on CD first, in Japan and, when it came time for Factory to issue the JD/NO catalog on CD in the UK, they did new transfers from the master tapes for the other albums, but just copied the Japanese CD for that one, either due to laziness or just trying to save a pound o two.

22. SeventhTime

Yeah you may be right. But I just tried something interesting with my centredate cd, I did a de emphasis on the wav files, even though it doesn't detect any pre-emphasis, and now it sounds really good, better than the remaster (especially with that annoying drop out in Sunrise).

I was checking the DR Database and the DR ratings for my new files are very similar to the quest cd. This could be a reason the centredate ones don't sound great.

c-eling likes this.
  23. c-eling

The Centredate may have pre in the sub, not in the TOC, an old EAC beta would be a way to test for it in the Sub :) I have a Japan for UK, once de-emphed it is a pleasurable listen :)

24. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

I don't mind the remasters although they are compressed. (Not nearly as bad as that "Singles" collection tho.)
    Fortunately I now have a pretty sweet collection of original NO vinyl (PC&L, Low-Life, Brotherhood & Substance, plus the BM "floppy disk" 12") so that's my go-to source when I really want to listen. Otherwise, the remasters are for the car & the iPod where the compression is tolerable.

On a related note... Saw Hooky on the last show of his U.S. tour this weekend. It was spooky how well he & his band recreated Unknown Pleasures & Closer live. As a bonus, they "opened" with about 7 vintage NO cuts... Everything from Ceremony & Age Of Consent to some crazy deep cuts (Every Little Counts, Thieves Like Us, Weirdo). Also, the largest amount of drunks (and drunken fights) I've seen at a show in YEARS.

c-eling likes this.
  25. c-eling

I have the Run2 UK 12inch and that version matches the Technique bonus disc cd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.