When BritPop Ruled

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by keef00, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

That was a bit of a shocker, as "Coffee and TV" is way newer, by decades, than most of the stuff that is featured on that show.

If I recall though, didn't Bob mispronounce Damon's name? That was a little strange, though it may have just been Bob and his odd self. Still, there's a chance that he was simply handed that track to play to fill out the Coffee theme, though Bob not knowing the song seems like it would have gone against the spirit of the show.

2. sure, also

whipping boy
    molly half head

3. Railway Children were great - wrote some very catchy pop songs. However, I think they pre-dated Britpop by a few years. I saw them on the same bill as New Order, ACR and Happy Mondays in 1987 (what a gig lineup!)

I remember driving up to Scotland with a mate for a walking holiday around 1991 and the only tape in the car was Railway Children's latest. By the end of the trip we had both fallen in love with their sound. On the way up we stopped off in Wigan to see my mate's mum and found out this was where RC were from. My mate christened them "The Wigan boys".

4. Ah yes, I remember these guys. Way back when, some folks accused Nirvana of ripping them off - ie, borrowing the chorus hook of "Hello Hello Hello Hello (Petrol)" for a certain era-defining tune.

5. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I haven't heard much of this music. I listened to an Oasis album a few times and liked the song "Champagne Supernova" but the rest of the songs were mostly too raunchy sounding, not enough "pop".

6. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident

Another vote for the Rhino "Brit Box". Great track selection and typical great Rhino packaging (the gimmick for this set is that the "Telephone" sign at the top of the booth is illuminated with flashing white LEDs).

7. Django

Django Forum Resident

The first elastica album would be in my top ten albums. I know they stole loads of riffs from wire, but they took them and wrapped them up into a sexy, indie pop masterpiece.

8. Dinsdale

Dinsdale Dixie Fried

You haven't heard much of this music, a sizeable chunk of the 90s, but yet you've professed disdain for this era? And you were in school then? How curious. :laugh:

Rock can indeed be raunchy, but Oasis wasn't literally brit-poppy. Perhaps Teenage Fanclub would be more your speed.

9. Peter314

Peter314 Forum Resident

Yes, they did pre-date what's generally regarded as the Britpop era - though so did Blur. There's No Other Way was a hit in 1991. Granted, Blur kept the hits going rather longer. :)

I think Every Beat of the Heart was RC's pinnacle. It reminds me of a carefree summer (for some reason - I don't think it actually charted in summer!)

10. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Jellyfish were a great pop band in the 90's.

11. hawkinsb

hawkinsb Forum Resident

...and not BritPop...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.