When BritPop Ruled

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by keef00, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Let's see...some of these aren't strictly Britpop, but they're related:

Cast
    Echobelly
    Eugenius
    Happy Mondays
    Heart Throbs
    Kitchens of Distinction
    Kula Shaker
    Lightning Seeds
    Lush
    Ned's Atomic Dustbin
    Rialto
    Sleeper
    Starsailor
    The Sundays

2. alugjk

alugjk Senior Member

Hear, hear!

Their first two albums are two of my favorite albums ever, and they are completely different from one another.

-George

3. schorman

schorman Forum Resident

I don't know how, but nobody has mentioned Travis! The Man Who is absolutely brilliant.

4. Kid_Naitch

Kid_Naitch Forum Resident

Thanks for the clarification I was riffing off the top of my head. :winkgrin:

5. Kid_Naitch

Kid_Naitch Forum Resident

I actually preferred Beetlebum to Song 2. Loved the fuzz on that one.

6. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Their final album would be Britpop.

7. alylemoss

alylemoss Forum Resident

Yeah, not too many critical favorites in this quartet, are there? But as someone who owns multiple albums by all four of these groups, I will say that there are some pretty decent singles and a couple of entertaining albums if you can get by the fact that they're all strictly Brit-Pop b-listers.

As mentioned above, Travis' The Man Who is strong, Embrace's The Good Will Out is infectious (like smallpox, only better), and I would rate at least two Stereophonics albums (You Gotta Go There to Come Back, Language. Sex. Violence. Other?) as two of my favorites from the past decade.

8. Slicing Eyeballs

Slicing Eyeballs Forum Resident

Yes, yes, yes. Suede is an extraordinary band, all the more so for being able to deliver an album as good as Coming Up after losing a member as vital as Bernard Butler.

9. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

That's a good list! Loved the Heart Throbs, Lush, Ride, World Of Twist...hey, this is almost what they called "shoegazer" music, isn't it?

One nobody's mentioned is "The Real People" who put out a fantastic album, s/t, in 1991. Came out in the UK first, then had a US release a few months later. I worked in a record/cd store while all this was happening, I don't need to tell you I really miss those days!

10. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Now might be the proper time to admit that "bhazen" is, in fact, ME: Noel Gallagher. :angel:

Blur, BTW, are utter pants.

11. John54

John54 Senior Member

I have an item or two by almost every artist mentioned in this thread! Different Class by Pulp is my favourite CD of the 1990s, closely followed by Zima Junction by Mark Burgess (ex-Chameleons). Coming Up, by Suede, is high on the list as well.

No one has mentioned Gene yet; I highly recommend their 1999 LP Revelations.

My top 10 songs of the 1990s contains almost all Britpop or late-c86 stuff:

Up On The Hill -- Mark Burgess
    Dance Girl Dance -- Cinerama
    Obscurity Knocks -- The Trash Can Sinatras
    The Popular Girl -- Martin Newell
    The Underdogs -- Rialto
    Little Baby Nothing -- The Manic Street Preachers
    Hay Fever -- The Trash Can Sinatras
    Shake and Crawl -- House of Love
    Write To Your MP Today -- McCarthy
    Stone Cold Yesterday -- The Connells (North Carolina; not Britpop obviously)

And throw in these for good measure:

Here I Stand -- The Milltown Brothers
    Disco 2000 -- Pulp
    I Spy -- Pulp
    Drugs Don't Work -- Verve
    Dreamtime -- The Heart Throbs

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Parklife single..

was good with Phil (Quadrophenia) Daniels doing the vocal narrative.
    (ironically during Blur V Oasis chart war Mr PD preferred Oasis :D )

13. John54

John54 Senior Member

As I said earlier, I love "The Popular Girl", which is one of the best Beatlesque pop tunes that Beatles fans have never heard. It should be right up there with "There She Goes" by the La's in the classic jangly-pop category. "Goodbye Dreaming Fields" is another one of his great songs, in which the guitars remind me of the Beatles' "Rain" in places.

I bought The Wayward Genius of Martin Newell CD, which includes the Cleaners From Venus track "Living With Victoria Grey" -- another '60s-style unknown classic!

14. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Re: Post #62

...I get up when I want except on Wednesdays when I get rudely awakened by the dustman (Parklife)
    I put my trousers on, have a cup of tea, and I think about leaving the 'ouse (Parklife)...

I love a bit of it!

15. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Forgot to mention this, a classic compilation. Loads of his more "d.i.y." stuff, which originally was cassette only(?)

Lots of amazing tunes, one of which just popped into me head: "I Will Haunt Your Room". "Goodbye Dreaming Fields" is amazing, featuring harmonies that get more "out there" (while remaining on key) with each verse!

"Goodbye" is also the lead-off track on Greatest Living Englishman which, for you XTC fans, was produced by Andy Partridge.

16. alexpop

:laugh: :agree:

17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Brit pop? Oh. I thought you meant the 60s or 80s.

18. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

I tired of the whole 'Blur v Oasis' thing very quickly. Oasis may have won the sales war (in the long run), but Blur made far more interesting records. If only Noel Gallagher could write anything as good as Neil Innes.

19. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Damon Albarn eats both Gallagher bros for breakfast talentwise and all of his projects are good proofs of that. The Good, The Bad and The Queen is a stunning record and a fine proof that he long ago matured far beyond the brit-pop borders.:thumbsup:

20. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Some of the best parts on Coming Up were as catchy as anything on Ziggy Stardust IMHO. A true classic record in my book!:thumbsup:

21. alexpop

Catchy, yeah !

Iconic, give it another 30 years (perhaps).

22. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

How does Head Music compare with Coming Up?

(Two very cool album covers.)

23. alexpop

Yes, he is original.
    Prefer Oasis, Suede, Pulp, The Verve.

24. billygtexas

billygtexas Forum Resident

Loved that era, including Dodgy (who got back together last year for a reunion tour and are planning a new album this year) and the amazing Boo Bradleys.

25. Mr. Monobrow

Mr. Monobrow Member

Here's a question for trivia buffs - which Oasis song does Neil Innes have a writing credit on?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.